E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Strange throttle body movement

05-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
Hunts
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Strange throttle body movement

Hello,

I've been having an issue recently where my e92 335d is running slightly lumpier along with the gearbox acting funny between 2nd and 3rd.

What happens when I'm driving along is I'll give it some gas, revs jump up, then immediately drop around 200rpm then 'catches' the gear and carries on back up like normal. It only seems to do this in 2nd to 3rd, and at any revs - can jump up to 3k rpm, drop a couple hundred, then carry on back up the range.

I'm not sure if this may be related to the throttle body.

Throttle body tends to do this in the morning when first starting up, it'll sit like this constantly twitching. If I unplug the vacuum line it calms down and stops, however I thought these are fly by wire?

There are no error codes stored.

Can't upload a video at the moment but I'll do it when I'm back from work.

Will be interesting to see if you guys have had similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:31 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts View Post

Throttle body tends to do this in the morning when first starting up, it'll sit like this constantly twitching. If I unplug the vacuum line it calms down and stops, however I thought these are fly by wire?

The throttle should open when you start the car, and stay completely open until shutdown. Diesels are not throttled like gas/petrol engines; the throttle is there *only* to ensure the engine stops and never has an over-run.

Perhaps you are discussing the EGR valve?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:35 AM   #3
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 335D 2006, F30 335i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts View Post

The throttle should open when you start the car, and stay completely open until shutdown. Diesels are not throttled like gas/petrol engines; the throttle is there *only* to ensure the engine stops and never has an over-run.

Perhaps you are discussing the EGR valve?
i believe this is not completely true with our engine.. as someone explained to me the throttle is part of the egr system, it works together with egr and helps it draw air by creating vacuum with movement at some points.. might even have some work during dpf regens.. i have seen this confirmed in some 535d threads but i cant provide source as of now..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:39 AM   #4
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

OP, check out these two videos and confirm its the same you are talking about:

unfortunately i dont have a solution.. my car just does what you see on the videos.. im not sure if they are related..

the vacuum you talk about is egr control, throttle is indeed electrical.. however their movement is interacting with each other.. i havent been able to confirm wheter one of them is malfunctiong and causing the other to move and which one that would be
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #5
Hunts
United Kingdom
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Hunts
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceQuadre View Post
OP, check out these two videos and confirm its the same you are talking about:

unfortunately i dont have a solution.. my car just does what you see on the videos.. im not sure if they are related..

the vacuum you talk about is egr control, throttle is indeed electrical.. however their movement is interacting with each other.. i havent been able to confirm wheter one of them is malfunctiong and causing the other to move and which one that would be
Yep, exactly the same symptoms, not as violent though when giving it gas.

Last edited by Hunts; 05-21-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

I better subscribe to this as I am experiencing exactly same issues as you guys have posted here, maybe someone will finally figure it out
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
I chased an issue like this for 6 months. Ultimately my issue was caused by the i-level software not being new enough for the US version electronic EGR valve. Since you have the vacuum EGR, I doubt this is your issue. What I learned, was, it is normal for the throttle to bounce around a little. But yours seems excessive and more random than mine was. I mounted a camera to watch mine as I drove around.

I think your throttle is partially controlled by data the ecu gets from the air mass meter. As those are cheap now, it may be worth swapping it out. And ISTA+ has a good throttle test procedure.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:24 AM   #9
Hunts
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
I chased an issue like this for 6 months. Ultimately my issue was caused by the i-level software not being new enough for the US version electronic EGR valve. Since you have the vacuum EGR, I doubt this is your issue. What I learned, was, it is normal for the throttle to bounce around a little. But yours seems excessive and more random than mine was. I mounted a camera to watch mine as I drove around.

I think your throttle is partially controlled by data the ecu gets from the air mass meter. As those are cheap now, it may be worth swapping it out. And ISTA+ has a good throttle test procedure.
This was exactly what I was going to try - mount a camera and see what happens when I experience this 'drop' in revs - watch the throttle body at the same time to see if it's sticking as such.

I've taken the EGR and throttle body off last week and gave them a thorough clean so that's ruled one possible cause out.

I've tried running ISTA on the car but it can't seem to connect to the DDE. I've done some research and I think I'll need to find a battery charger while using it to keep the power up for them to communicate rather than just using the battery!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

ill add that i have newish maf with adaptations reseted... i also tested the throttle with ista+ and the test came out ok...
not sure if the throttle movement is actually a problem.. the car doesnt feel or drive any better if i disconnect egr or throttle or both, so im not worried about it..

and i actually doubt it is related with the rpms jumping on acceleration. i have observed the rpms jumping and acceleration feeling weak happens when you deaccelerate below certain speed, causing the 3rd gear to go to 2nd gear at which point it feels like the lockup clutch disconnects, so i would say it has lot to do with torque converter and little to do with throttle and egr...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
Hunts
United Kingdom
Rep

After some research found this post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525278

Seems it's more common than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

So is it normal that throttle body moves on idle?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
messyhead86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport

My throttle actuator failed. I'd had a leak on the underside of the intake hose where it attaches to the throttle body. This had blown quite a lot of gunk around the actuator. It was showing a code for the throttle actuator and when I removed the metal cover on it, near to where the black plug connects, it was full of oil which must have damaged the PCB.

On start up and shut down of the engine it moves but doesn't do much when driving. It did stop the DPF from regenerating though which eventually caused a blockage. I changed the actuator for a new one and it shuts when turning the engine off as it should. I had the occasional loss of power when I think the valve was going, but once it had completely gone, it's spring loaded to stay open so had no symptoms apart from a slightly rougher idle and clunky shutdown.

If possible check to see if you've got a code for the actuator and also that the connector is seated correctly on the valve which is at the front right hand side of the intake.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

So did any of you solved throttle movement issue? I have no codes and all same symptoms.
When i disconnect throttle body car even drives better/stronger
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 08:57 AM   #15
mtds
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hello everyone, sorry for the "refloat" of the thread. I went in excited because I have the exact same symptoms on my 07 335d. The throttle body goes crazy at low revs and only stalls if I disconnect the EGR vacuum wire (exactly like the video).

I thought it could be an EGR problem and after buying a new one, the same problem continues.

Did they finally solve the problem?

Thank you very much in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 05:02 AM   #16
mtds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtds View Post
Hello everyone, sorry for the "refloat" of the thread. I went in excited because I have the exact same symptoms on my 07 335d. The throttle body goes crazy at low revs and only stalls if I disconnect the EGR vacuum wire (exactly like the video).

I thought it could be an EGR problem and after buying a new one, the same problem continues.

Did they finally solve the problem?

Thank you very much in advance!
Hi, nobody know how solve this problem?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 08:29 AM   #17
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

EGR and ASV are two different things. Have you replaced the ASV yet or at least disconnected it?
      06-01-2023, 02:42 AM   #18
mtds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
EGR and ASV are two different things. Have you replaced the ASV yet or at least disconnected it?
Hi! Thank you very much for your answer. What is ASV? I only know that if I override the EGR the throttle body stops moving crazy :feliz anim:
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 07:54 PM   #19
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtds View Post
Hi! Thank you very much for your answer. What is ASV? I only know that if I override the EGR the throttle body stops moving crazy :feliz anim:
Asv is just the vw community calling what is a "throttle body". So stupid
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 04:13 AM   #20
mtds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Thanks for the reply. The throttle body, if you disconnect it, obviously, it doesn't make the crazy movement either, but it gives an error in the check if you move the vehicle. Could it be a valve or something related to the turbo?

Thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 12:01 PM   #21
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Let's be honest, it's an ASV not a throttle body. A throttle body would indicate it actually does something other then reduce shutdown shudder or prevent runaway.
      06-04-2023, 11:16 AM   #22
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Let's be honest, it's an ASV not a throttle body. A throttle body would indicate it actually does something other then reduce shutdown shudder or prevent runaway.
Well it's a throttle body. Bmw has always referred it as a TB in all of their literature. Wjen i took the traininh courses at bmw "university"... they refer it as TB
... The bmw parts catalog, It's a throttle body. So it's a throttle body.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=PN73-USA-07-2011-E90N-BMW-335d&diagId=11_4263

Diagram/page 20..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2006/plenary2/2006_deer_mattes.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjNjbjngKr_AhWsJEQI HfUADOQQFnoECBYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1yVWJxc-1IGuXl539ZJU2H

I could find more but I'm not going to since there isn't literature by bmw calling it an ASV. VWfanboys use the term ASV.
Appreciate 0