E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MB Quart tweeter mounting question

04-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i

Disregard.......I finally found an answer to my question in another posting. Evidently these tweeters are not meant to snap directly into place with the stock sail panel mounting tabs. I guess I will just trim off all of the mounting tabs and epoxy the tweeter rings directly to the panel.

Is there a trick to mounting the QM 200.3 Tweeter in the factory sail panel? I just got the replacement sail panels in today and there doesn't appear to be a way that the MB quart tweeter just snaps into the location. The barbed fingers that appear to be there to snap the tweeter into place don't seem to be the problem as much as the tabs that protrude towards the center of the opening as in the picture. These just need to be cut off or is there another trick that I missing? I don't want to necessarily go to cutting on these $45 apiece sail panels if I can get away from it. I have tried doing a few searches on the forum with different keywords and can't find anything related directly to this topic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Ashb84
Rep
Drives: E91 320d msport+ lci

Ive just bought the mb quart kit also . Do they not fit? I was going to maybe drill my original sail and have it flush mounted on the outside
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashb84 View Post
Ive just bought the mb quart kit also . Do they not fit? I was going to maybe drill my original sail and have it flush mounted on the outside
No, they're not a direct snap in fitment. I trimmed all of the barbs and tabs. It actually worked pretty well. The tweeters are still too wide to slip through the hole so you can rotate them in the cavity and position them. The funny thing is, I was going to use duct tape to hold them in place after epoxying them in, but the tape held so well on it's own for the test fitting that I just left them taped in place. Don't forget that you have the same foam in the plain sail panels as the cars with factory tweeters so they also help hold them in place. I just got everything installed in the doors today along with the sound deadening sheets and gave it a test run with the head unit power Because I haven't gotten all of the amp installation materials yet. I have to say, they sound pretty good as they are so I can't wait to throw a little bit of actual amp power to them and get the signal flattened out with the signal processing built into the amplifier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      04-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Ashb84
Rep
Drives: E91 320d msport+ lci

Awsome mate have you tried switching them down a bit in the cross over as im fitting these soon but hoping id get away without recoding ir a dsp . An just using the switch in the cross over. Do they dound good? They do so dont use them.without an amp.as the wattage being supplied.is to little from the headunit
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashb84
Awsome mate have you tried switching them down a bit in the cross over as im fitting these soon but hoping id get away without recoding ir a dsp . An just using the switch in the cross over. Do they dound good? They do so dont use them.without an amp.as the wattage being supplied.is to little from the headunit
I went ahead and switched them over to 0 DB so I don't have to take the door panels back off when I install the amp in a couple of days. As far as running them off of the head unit, it won't hurt them, they just can't be driven as well as they can with a properly crossed over signal. So, until I can get the amp installed, I can still at least listen to them as opposed to nothing at all. they actually do already sound miles above the stock paper woofer in the door, but I'm not even remotely trying to push them with the anemic head unit power and risk loading them up with a distorted signal.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
JWMunson
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

I know this is a long dead thread, but I'm upgrading the base stereo in an e90 right now and wondering where you find the tweeter sails. Thanks!
Appreciate 0