E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering Wheel slightly off center

12-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Captain Confused
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i, 1985 327i

Steering Wheel slightly off center

reposting from the 1series forum since its not as active as this one.

I think I know the answer to this but want to confirm in case I am missing something.

I recently did the oil pan gasket on my 128i. The procedure I followed had me not only drop the subframe but also disconnect the steering rack from the column.

Before I unbolted the column from the rack I marked the orientation of the column so as to make sure I attached it back exactly the same when it went back together. I didn't notice at the time the alignment tab which does the same thing.

I also install brand new shocks and OE M Sport Springs and brand new rubber all around to replace the non sport old stuff.

Everything went fine and it's all back together, but the steering wheel is not centered anymore. It's slightly right. The car tracks straight and doesn't pull to any one side.

Is this an alignment issue or something else I'm missing?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

The alignment tab is plastic, part of the rack's dustcap. When reattaching the shaft to the rack, it's easy to get it one notch off, bending or more likely cracking the dustcap.

After checking that, regardless of the outcome, you should get an alignment. The new springs will affect your camber, and if you disconnected the arms from the subframe, that'll throw everything way off.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
Captain Confused
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i, 1985 327i

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
The alignment tab is plastic, part of the rack's dustcap. When reattaching the shaft to the rack, it's easy to get it one notch off, bending or more likely cracking the dustcap.
Is the dust cap separate from the rack? Mine seemed tight on and I assumed it didn't move. It's definitely not cracked. I've taken it apart a few times once I noticed it being off to adjust it but could never get it any better. I was just using the cap alignment tab though. So if it can move then that would explain it
Appreciate 0