E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 - Replacing starter... what else to replace?

10-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
ahsm
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I

N52 - Replacing starter... what else to replace?

Hello

I have a 2006 BMW 330I 6SPD SPORT with 200,000KM (123,456 MILES).

The time to replace the starter has come, starting is sluggish and sometimes seems like it won't start then starts. I checked the battery with my Foxwell NT520 scanner and it said about 77% life left. I replaced the ground cable underneath the car as it sometimes causes slow/no crank. I checked the ESS and it wasn't full of oil. Scanned the car and it didn't show any other codes so it's safe to assume the starter is on it's way out.

For the starter replacement I've purchased these items:

- Bosch starter

- New starter bolts

- Intake manifold gaskets

- Crankshaft position sensor (while I'm back there might as well)

- Stupid PCV breather hose that's always broken

- Right DISA valve (not getting codes but when the engine is idling I can hear a marble in a can sound and if I put my ear right where DISA #2 is that is where the sound is)

- Throttle body gasket and bolts (why not)

Is there anything else that I am forgetting to do as preventative maintenance "while I'm in there"?

I will be fully removing the intake manifold fully and I am planning on keeping the car for the rest of it's life.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I might have missed or I should do while the intake manifold is off.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:59 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Check the main earth strap from engine to body for corrosion. It's very close to the starter, so a good time to replace it...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Make sure you got the O ring with the crank position sensor, I just did that job.

330i? Now might be a good time to check small DISA valve operation too. Maybe just have them brand new on deck, and if you don't need them just return them.

Yeah the PCV system/hoses is gonna be rotten if this is the first time it's been wrestled with. Double check on RealOEM with your VIN for the exact parts, there's like 3 or 4 revisions for the exact setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
ahsm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Make sure you got the O ring with the crank position sensor, I just did that job.

330i? Now might be a good time to check small DISA valve operation too. Maybe just have them brand new on deck, and if you don't need them just return them.

Yeah the PCV system/hoses is gonna be rotten if this is the first time it's been wrestled with. Double check on RealOEM with your VIN for the exact parts, there's like 3 or 4 revisions for the exact setup.
Thanks. Already replaced the larger DISA valve and already ordered the small DISA valve. I can hear a marble in a can noise when I place my ear beside the small DISA. I tried operating the motor of the DISA with my scanner but it didn't open/close so it's probably toast.

Ordered all the parts for the PCV system as well.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I think you have everything covered. Maybe the oil separator? But it's not a big deal to remove the intake manifold after you've done it once
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
ahsm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I think you have everything covered. Maybe the oil separator? But it's not a big deal to remove the intake manifold after you've done it once
Oil separator was purchased as part of the PCV system (separator, two big beefy hoses and one long and very thin hose).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Putting it back in is a complete pain in the ass. Next time I do it, I'm pulling the alternator out.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
Eins Suchtig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 128i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post

Thanks. Already replaced the larger DISA valve and already ordered the small DISA valve. I can hear a marble in a can noise when I place my ear beside the small DISA. I tried operating the motor of the DISA with my scanner but it didn't open/close so it's probably toast.

Ordered all the parts for the PCV system as well.
Does the NT520 activates the DISA valves? Can't find where!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Just an FYI, just did the start job, there are a bunch of videos that are helpful if you don't want to fully pull the manifold and hence you don't break the breather hose that is 80 bucks.

Total time to do the starter was 2.5 hours, you basically just pull all the intake out including the throttle body, unbolt the power steering reservoir and move it out of the way and unbolt the power steering reservoir mount to make some room, then unbolt the intake and just angle the front out of the way and the back hardly moves. pull the front 2 intake manifold studs as they chew up your arm working past them. Give you all the room you need to pull the starter if you only want to do the start with minimal work and damage to other components. Actually hardest part of the job was the intake manifold gaskets as the last one doesn't have much room to work with this method of not taking out the manifold. (well and the rear facing start bolt that isn't much fun regardless, right tools help with that)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
ahsm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Just an FYI, just did the start job, there are a bunch of videos that are helpful if you don't want to fully pull the manifold and hence you don't break the breather hose that is 80 bucks.

Total time to do the starter was 2.5 hours, you basically just pull all the intake out including the throttle body, unbolt the power steering reservoir and move it out of the way and unbolt the power steering reservoir mount to make some room, then unbolt the intake and just angle the front out of the way and the back hardly moves. pull the front 2 intake manifold studs as they chew up your arm working past them. Give you all the room you need to pull the starter if you only want to do the start with minimal work and damage to other components. Actually hardest part of the job was the intake manifold gaskets as the last one doesn't have much room to work with this method of not taking out the manifold. (well and the rear facing start bolt that isn't much fun regardless, right tools help with that)
It took me about 5 hours to do everything start to finish but I replaced the TB gasket, crankshaft position sensor and o ring, both DISA's and took out the manifold fully. Those PCV hoses are a PITA.
Appreciate 0