E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Sulev N51 intake box and boot

11-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i Coupe

Sulev N51 intake box and boot

Having a n51 sulev I find it hard to find any information on just about anything for modding my car. I've come to the conclusion that the euro spec intake box will fit in my car, but I have yet to see anything regarding if a silicone intake boot for the n52 will fit on the n51. I would love to switch to the silicone boot but don't want to spend the money only to find that it won't fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

If you go to realoem.com you can compare the part numbers for the n51 and n52 boot.

I’m pretty sure they are the same because I helped my buddy replace his starter on his n51 a few days ago and when we were re-installing his intake I saw no differences to my n52.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

There isn't any real difference in fitment size when doing intake mods. There's just an extra layer of filtration in the box for the N51 compared to the N52.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #4
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
There isn't any real difference in fitment size when doing intake mods. There's just an extra layer of filtration in the box for the N51 compared to the N52.
No extra layer of filtration. All N52/N51 cars come with the same intake box/tube and run both a paper air filter and a charcoal emissions filter. I've owned both cars and the intake box and tube are identical. I'm currently running a Euro intake box and silicone intake tube on my 2009 N51.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Eagle1oh7286.50
      11-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
No extra layer of filtration. All N52/N51 cars come with the same intake box/tube and run both a paper air filter and a charcoal emissions filter. I've owned both cars and the intake box and tube are identical. I'm currently running a Euro intake box and silicone intake tube on my 2009 N51.
That's awesome to hear! That's exactly what I'm looking to do with mine. Did you notice any difference in the car other than more noise from the engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan '07 E92 Coupe View Post
That's awesome to hear! That's exactly what I'm looking to do with mine. Did you notice any difference in the car other than more noise from the engine bay?
A little bit more noise under throttle, and a bit better throttle response. I'd say it is a worthwhile upgrade. The easier filter access alone makes it worth it, since the American box needs to be removed from the engine bay and split in half to even check the filter which is ridiculous.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
A little bit more noise under throttle, and a bit better throttle response. I'd say it is a worthwhile upgrade. The easier filter access alone makes it worth it, since the American box needs to be removed from the engine bay and split in half to even check the filter which is ridiculous.
Yeah I found the US air box to be very annoying as well. Does it matter what eu air box I get? I read that as long as it looks like it's right it'll fit. I would assume this means they are all the same between the e90 e92 and e93.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan '07 E92 Coupe View Post
Quote:
Yeah I found the US air box to be very annoying as well. Does it matter what eu air box I get? I read that as long as it looks like it's right it'll fit. I would assume this means they are all the same between the e90 e92 and e93.
All the same as long as it's for an E9x with the N52. I bought mine on ebay from the UK.

Appreciate 0