E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > My CIC Combox 6FL retrofit log (and DIY focused on coding)

11-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #45
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
I pretty much reset my vo back to default. And then recoded all the combox options to my vo. After you code the frm and cas the combox will default code on its own. Apps and Bluetooth and album art with the lightning cable started to work with no issues after that.
I will try that thanks
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2019, 11:33 PM   #46
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelon222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
I pretty much reset my vo back to default. And then recoded all the combox options to my vo. After you code the frm and cas the combox will default code on its own. Apps and Bluetooth and album art with the lightning cable started to work with no issues after that.
I will try that thanks
No prob. Report back..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #47
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

So I reset my VO and everything back to stock and coded my Combox again and it still does the same thing. My phone pairs but never connects. Bluetooth menu did appear on my external sources tho. Could it be something I’m doing wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #48
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

If you are able to pair your phone, it shouldn't be a coding issue. Coding just sets configuration options.

At this point, I would advise looking for something broken. First try other phones if you can. Then I would evaluate the Bluetooth antenna - is it plugged in properly at both ends? Any chance you damaged the cable or the antenna during the retrofit? Finally, is the combox ok? Is there water damage from the previous owner? It opens up with a Torx-8 driver if I recall correctly, you can inspect the circuit board for damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #49
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

I wasn't getting clearly on the reverse rear view camera option for manual transmission.
I need that, I just broke a car door backing up in the dark with low visibility.

Never mind, I read the hardware descriptions.

My original plan was to strip out the rear view OE camera, wire, camera controller from the 2013-15 X1, but they are all automatic and I'm guess I would need to program it?
They run pretty cheap about $100 for the controller.

Any recommendation on cameras? I imagine some are better picture than others. I have LED for reverse light and they are much brighter.

Does the AV in cable bundle for the kit have support for OE LVDS camera? I can source some from X1 cars.

Last edited by Soravia; 11-11-2019 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #50
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

The camera in the $130 thread is the one everyone recommends. I don’t think the cameras are all that different, as long as you get a trunk handle one. I think amazon has a few 170-degree options though, those might be worth trying out.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:42 AM   #51
November
Rep
Drives: '06 e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaxData View Post
Coding the CIC comes in two parts: 1. FA/VO coding the unit to your car's features (e.g. my CIC came from a car with $676 (HiFi), $6FL and a Combox; and my car has $S677 (Logic7) without $6FL and with a TCU). 2. Activating Navigation.

Quick coding tutorial: So no matter what, you will need to be able to do FA/VO coding. To my knowledge, this must be done with a PC and K+DCAN cable. I used the EA-90X setup by FAL because I had it from before. If you don't already have a coding environment, you can go to bimmergeeks.net and grab standard tools. (Install it according to the instructions, then use "Coding Tool" to update the SP-DATEN with the "Base" and "e89" files also on bimmergeeks.net, search the web for "how to update SP-DATEN using BMW coding tool"...) I used virtualbox and installed it on a virtual machine with windows XP. Get a good cable - I haven't personally used it but the one sold by bimmergeeks.net looks pretty good, and you can bridge/unbridge pins 7&8. The pins should be unbridged for e90. I highly recommend a power source so you don't run down your battery and brick your new CIC.

After you've installed standard tools and updated it, set up your cable and try FSW-PSW coding with NCS Expert. BTW the extended example of using INPA doesn't work on the bimmergeeks.net distro. Also, if using the bimmergeeks.net distro, use the manipulation profile. (Try turning on ZYCLUS_VOLLEND_KLR_AUS in JBBF for example - this makes the car park the wipers even if you turn off the engine mid-wipe. Or turn off ENABLE_GURTBRINGER_FA in an e92 and your seatbelt butlers will stop working.) Once you get the hang of it, learn to alter the FA/VO (note that the FA/VO in the e90 is in the CAS and the FRM, which is NFRM for the 2007). Then, learn to default code a module to the FA/VO stored in CAS (Use the "Factory Coding" profile in the bimmergeeks.net distro).

/end quick coding tutorial

So to code the CIC: Load an NCS Expert profile without manipulation. Load your FA/VO, delete your build date (save it for reference), add #0909 build date, add $6VA, and save the new FA/VO to CAS and FRM (NFRM) using FA_WRITE.* Then run SG_CODIEREN on CIC.

*I went from CCC professional to CIC professional. If you're going from CCC business ($606) or something like that to CIC professional, be sure to delete the old code ($606) and add the new one ($609).

Just want to say THANK YOU!

I had plans to do a CCC to CIC retrofit for a very long time and tried to gather as much info online as possible to tackle the job, but because of the NUMEROUS options of doing the retrofit, it all began to become a bit confusing.

You essentially took all the hard work out of everything and laid it all out for me. Ended up buying everything for the retrofit on craigslist and offer-up and was able to complete the retrofit with coding all by myself.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #52
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
Just want to say THANK YOU!

I had plans to do a CCC to CIC retrofit for a very long time and tried to gather as much info online as possible to tackle the job, but because of the NUMEROUS options of doing the retrofit, it all began to become a bit confusing.

You essentially took all the hard work out of everything and laid it all out for me. Ended up buying everything for the retrofit on craigslist and offer-up and was able to complete the retrofit with coding all by myself.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #53
morgan85
Rep
Drives: e90 325d

Hi Guys,

Sorry to open an old post but could do with some help,

I have a 2010 325d not had the car long and still trying to learn everything, but what I think iv learnt is I have a combox in the boot that I believe someone has retrofitted, I have a iPhone 8 that wont find each other, I just get a message searching, I also have a error of sos every time I start the car, now curiosity got the better of me and I pushed the button and it went straight through to the emergency services, (we could both hear and speak to each other!) so am I right in thinking that somewhere somehow there is a connection?

I have downloaded a few coding software but not really clued up on what I need to change, so any help will be gladly received!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #54
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

If the correct options are showing up in the CIC, your combox is likely programmed correctly although you can try VO/FA coding the CIC and combox. If it still doesn't work, check your bluetooth antenna and wiring.

BTW consider starting a new topic in the bluetooth forum to get more input!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #55
morgan85
Rep
Drives: e90 325d

Quote:
If the correct options are showing up in the CIC, your combox is likely programmed correctly although you can try VO/FA coding the CIC and combox. If it still doesn't work, check your bluetooth antenna and wiring.

BTW consider starting a new topic in the bluetooth forum to get more input!
Fax thanks buddy!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #56
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

I really appreciated your hard work. I have just done my CCC to CIC retrofit. It was little painful for me to upgrade it cuz I had too many little issues. Such As soon as I installed the CIC, my sound is gone. I thought maybe I have TCU/MULF2 in trunk so I needed to upgrade to the Combox.

I got the combox and plugged it, no sound. ISTA found 7-8 errors and one of them was amp cant communicate. I freaked out thinking I messed up MOST and Amp somehow even tho all the fuses was OK. Then the problems are all solved today with the help of my very close friend Trevor and Chris. The problem with the combox was wiring that is shown in many posts was not the same for my combox. And I had to measure each pin to find correct voltages. And finally Pin 2 for the combox was the one that powered my unit instead of Pin1+2(from the tcu and mulf). As far as sound goes, I don't know why my sound did not work at the very first time when I only installed the CIC head unit with CID.

But if anyone experiences this, I would like to put some light on it. If the fiber optic cables are interrupted somehow, the MOST system cant return to the head unit and this cuts the sound. Even tho my MULF/TCU was connected, Because of the TCU is totally disfunctional after the CIC and it did not complete the circuit and cause the sound to be gone.

I have done probably 10 times swapping from MULF/TCU to Combox by repining the sockets back and fort in a tiny rear seat for 2 days, I have learnt too many things.

Check your combox which pins powers it. I was lucky that the ebay seller sent me the wiring harness and I was fortunate to take a picture before remove the socket, at the end that showed me which wiring needs to be done and turned on the combox.

When sound is gone, unfortunately Amp cant be communicate with ISTA or any software. We first thought AMP needs to be updated. I pulled SP-Daten_V67 to make the update but unfortunately not having communication didn't allow me to update the amp either.

At the end, I looped the MULF fiber optic with a cable and TCU fiber optic went to combox. Now I have CIC+Combox with Bluetooth streaming + Bluetooth phone calling. (C1A)

Next is to activate the features. I am little scared since one of my close friend said you might damage the CIC during the process.

I have downloaded all the tools that is needed, all the pdf file and programs and neccecary files in my laptop and ready to start to process, but my biggest concern is WHAT IF somehow it interrupts. What do I expect if that happens during FStool process?

I was literally living in the garage for 3 days to fix my CIC sound issues and I do not want to deal with another CIC purchase. If there will be no issue I am IN but I need your advice on that. If you want I can also pay for you to go thru the process with me with TeamViewer really I do not mind.

But the main purpose I wrote here is I really appreciate your hard work and all the explanations you have done. It is a very time consuming process to do all this steps and writings. Thank You
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 12-23-2019 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #57
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Could you post the picture of the harness indicating which pins differ on your Combox for others to see?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #58
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Could you post the picture of the harness indicating which pins differ on your Combox for others to see?
Sure. Lower pictures are mine

The upper one the original harness with the plug that came with the unit. And there is some cables different color than mine on this DIY wiring diagram (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../topics/772784) For example green stripe on red or clear ones are not mentioned. I did many researches found some wiring colors similar to mine on e60 mulf/tcu . My friend had very closer to mine but his power cable from the TCU must have 12V or his pin 1 was powering his combox with Mulf cable. Now my pin 1 is empty only pin 2 has mulf power. Also TEL crash cable red on black has 11.6V on mine. I checked all the cables from the harness, only red on black had 11.6V from all the TCU cables. Green on Orange has nothing. and MULF had power in the right cable Yellow on red which I am using for the combox.

Here is another pic from my friend comparing to mine. (I added Kcan High and lo cables after seeing his from the car wiring harness located in the rear seat area.

Upper picture belongs to my friend lowers are mine.

Last edited by SaNGRia; 12-24-2019 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #59
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Thank You I ve succefully activated the Navi + Voice Command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3I5PLK--U

Now I am waiting to get the FSTool V02.02 to unlock my 6F + 9C
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 01-08-2020 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #60
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

It’s pretty hard to damage your CIC at this point. Installing the patcher takes seconds only, and FSTool won’t be able to do much damage. I fought with that thing numerous hours, trying every version I could find, etc and never damaged my CIC. The only risk is for people who have factory-installed CIC units with valid certificates; using the patcher will invalidate the certificates they own so they must succeed in installing the patcher certificates.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #61
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
It’s pretty hard to damage your CIC at this point. Installing the patcher takes seconds only, and FSTool won’t be able to do much damage. I fought with that thing numerous hours, trying every version I could find, etc and never damaged my CIC. The only risk is for people who have factory-installed CIC units with valid certificates; using the patcher will invalidate the certificates they own so they must succeed in installing the patcher certificates.
Thank you buddy. I am still struggling to activate 6F and 9C. Somehow I can not get the status of them and also I have tried this new carserver files https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthre...ghlight=fstool

Do you know why I can not access or make certification for these 2?

EDIT :
I was able to activate the 9C somehow after installed FSC V2.18 on the side. And I couldnt put the certification right away, I had to click Activate Store first to do it. After that I was able to execute my certificate to 9C . But I still have a hard to time to activate my SAT.

Here is the screenshots

I was not able to get status on this 2 till I installed FSC 2.18. I am so close to activate the 6F but I don't know what is causing this.

I found something on FSCTool , is that transferring the certificate manually to the CIC?

I have tried several methods but never had success.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 12-26-2019 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #62
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Please use the exact version of FSTool2 (with included carserver) that I listed in my original post. I have tried pretty much every version out there, that’s the only one I’ve found that can activate 6F.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #63
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Please use the exact version of FSTool2 (with included carserver) that I listed in my original post. I have tried pretty much every version out there, that’s the only one I’ve found that can activate 6F.
I have downloaded the same version with the files as you described. I started this process by only looking at your tread. And that's why I succeeded the 19+1B+17 so easy.

I don't know what was the issue with 9C but it is now taken care.

6F is making me feel like something wrong. Is it normal Certification says Not Exist and FSC says Rejected?

I have downloaded and set up the FSTool v2.0.2 and it came as a bundle with other folders. I installed based on the instructions and successfully activated all others.

I will try "Activate Upgrade" when I get back to States. Out of country at the moment. But 6F definitely not being easy on me. Just dont understand how others accepted but this. Is there any possible issue can be other than software?

I am wondering, I didnt install the pink cable to my sat prep yet. That makes sat not to be recognized or something?

Last edited by SaNGRia; 12-28-2019 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #64
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

setup_fstool2_02.02.00.exe?

02.02 is different from 2.0.2, perhaps that’s the issue? 02.02 is much newer than 2.0.2.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #65
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
setup_fstool2_02.02.00.exe?

02.02 is different from 2.0.2, perhaps that’s the issue? 02.02 is much newer than 2.0.2.
Ok. I have found the version you have mentioned here. I thought the one I have was the same.

https://www.cartechnology.co.uk/show...821&pid=266785

And when I remove the previous version and try to install this one I get this problem :

And this was my software :

, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #66
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

I had the same problem, I couldn’t successfully remove the older version. I ended up wiping my virtual machine and starting over.
Appreciate 0