E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Bonnet Chip Repair

06-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Bonnet Chip Repair

Hi everyone

A good friend of mine has a reasonably new BMW sedan and when we were polishing it on the weekend I noticed there were 4 very little chips in the forward section of the bonnet. When looking at them I am not even 100% sure they have all gone past the clear coat but that may be my poor eye sight

I have attached a couple of pics and thought I would get fellow member’s advice on how best to touch these up? I thought of either a series of small dabs of paint building up on each other over a few hours to "fill” the chips or alternatively, dab some paint or clear coat (as needed) in there and wipe across it to smooth the surface and then polish.

The holes are extremely small but noticeable.

Any thoughts, guidance or ridicule appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Each touch up job. Should be around 50 bucks if you find guys someone in the local area.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
nosmash
Private
Rep
Drives: an oil burner

Try the stuff from chipex with the method you described. Had a few of these after a long drive and have been "relatively" successful in covering them up. I know they are there but most people don't notice them at all. I lost a few days sleep after discovering them but after a week or two I learned to live with it and it's not worth the anguish.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmash View Post
Try the stuff from chipex with the method you described. Had a few of these after a long drive and have been "relatively" successful in covering them up. I know they are there but most people don't notice them at all. I lost a few days sleep after discovering them but after a week or two I learned to live with it and it's not worth the anguish.
Thanks for the advice. There are a few manufactures of that type of repair including Dr Colourchip in the US. I guess my mate will never get the car looking like new especially given that it is silver but i will recommned he consider the chipex process - can't hurt I guess and will stop rust.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350 F Sport

i have chipex - good stuff but requires a degree of skill to use

small chips are best filled with OEM paint and a toothpick
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

That's through the clear and paint, so maybe try one of the mobile touch up guys, as they would probably do it cheaper than buying the OEM paint kit from BMW. It's such a bummer to spot these on your new car!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
That's through the clear and paint, so maybe try one of the mobile touch up guys, as they would probably do it cheaper than buying the OEM paint kit from BMW. It's such a bummer to spot these on your new car!!
Like my first post suggested. Why spend more on some DIY kit where you can screw up and make it look shit?

Mobile touch up guys are bloody cheap.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0