E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > OFHG Replace and Engine Seized. No Metal Shavings or Coolant in the Oil

Closed Thread

12-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #133
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
Good news for those interested but bad news for me--looks like my engine is going to be torn down per the warranty company's request (but on my dime). I'll probably go over and take some pictures when it's opened up and let you guys know what happened.
Interesting. Is this in hope of the insurance company finding a way to repair the motor by chance? Or are they going to replace it either way?

Regardless, I am very curious to hear the verdict for the cause of failure.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #134
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Interesting. Is this in hope of the insurance company finding a way to repair the motor by chance? Or are they going to replace it either way?

Regardless, I am very curious to hear the verdict for the cause of failure.
If anything it's so the insurance company can point a finger at something they don't cover so they won't be liable. I'm hoping they just want to replace rather than repair, however it's their choice. Soon as I get it I'm driving straight to the dealership and trading it in anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #135
EdieC
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

OP, the same exact thing happened to me. I have an e90 N55 with 107k.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...4#post24123274
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #136
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

OP, any update on what failed with your engine?

After spending the last hour reading all the posts in this thread, some of which were just noise, it would be nice to close this up and not have a cliff hanger.

My gut tells me the tech forgot to refill the oil, took it on a test drive, and burned up the engine. He’s now in lying/CYA mode...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #137
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
OP, any update on what failed with your engine?

After spending the last hour reading all the posts in this thread, some of which were just noise, it would be nice to close this up and not have a cliff hanger.

My gut tells me the tech forgot to refill the oil, took it on a test drive, and burned up the engine. He’s now in lying/CYA mode...
Nice looks like you just figured everything. LEts close the thread now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 02:52 AM   #138
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

I'd like to know the cause too. Looking at possibly buying an n55 but these hidden grenades are scary to read about.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #139
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

It shouldn't be scary, there is no data of any consequence to indicate these "grenades" are any more significant in terms of overall N55 reliability than the random engine failure in a Honda Accord is. All engines have a failure rate.
      01-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #140
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
I'd like to know the cause too. Looking at possibly buying an n55 but these hidden grenades are scary to read about.
This thread is not a reason not to get this car/engine but other issues might be. The platform is notorious for finicky issues. If you want a reliable daily and do not do your own work and dont wanna spend every 3 months in hundreds of dollars this is not a car for you.

Its one thing after another with these cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #141
9krpmrx8
Rep

Not true, I just rolled 100k and and haven't had any issues outside of normal wear and tear. But my car has been meticulously maintained it's entire life and most of the common failure points were addressed before they had a chance to fail.

But yeah it's not a 1993 Honda Civic DX so if you buy one that almost 6-7 years old you are bound to have to replace some items. That said, my backup car is a 2002 Toyota Camry and I have had to replace a few things on that over the past year.
      01-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #142
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Not true, I just rolled 100k and and haven't had any issues outside of normal wear and tear. But my car has been meticulously maintained it's entire life and most of the common failure points were addressed before they had a chance to fail.

But yeah it's not a 1993 Honda Civic DX so if you buy one that almost 6-7 years old you are bound to have to replace some items. That said, my backup car is a 2002 Toyota Camry and I have had to replace a few things on that over the past year.
Very pleased you have a very reliable one. Generally they are not. There are multiple threads on the questionable reliability. Alot more "regular" maintenance items with these cars. This is well known.

I will list them for the potential new owner he can decide :

OFHG (If not taken care engine can be destroyed, so you have to open ur hood weekly. Never know when it will leak)
Valve Cover gasket
Oil pan Gasket
Expansion Tank
Nototrious misfire issues unheard of with any other make. You have to replace coils/spark plugs every 20 k (most makes make it past 60)
Control arm bushings go every 50 k ( very early)
Water pums do not last more than 60k
HPFP on N55 (Continental) fail just as often as N54
PCV Issues and front/main seal leaks

If you are not mechanically inclined each of these items is hundreds/thousands of dollars. These items are very common fails. Most users will have at least 3 of these done before 50 k

Some of these issues members consider as "general maintenance" (Love this) but the general maintenance items can leave you stranded anywhere. Its lovely.Like expansion tank. ITs a very easy fix but it will ruin your plans for the day. Or weekend depending on part availability. And those tanks crack in regular maintenance intervals. Not to mention its coolant leak and can destroy ur engine/transmission if you dont take care of it ASAP. But people like to say "its an easy fix"
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #143
9krpmrx8
Rep

Well, people are more generally going to list problems on a forum rather than things that have not failed on their cars. But I agree that these problems are fairly common on higher mileage cars or cars that live in more extreme environments but even then you likely won't have all of these problems.

Myself and my best friend have 2011 335i's with over 100k and really neither of us have had any of those issues except my buddy did have to replace his coils due to misfires at 90k or so and I have had to replace two coolant reservoirs but that is nothing new in South Texas as I have had to replace plastic coolant reservoirs on my past cars as well.

Hell I have never even heard of a control arm issue. I did replace my water pump at 75k but only because I was replacing coolant hoses that I thought looked brittle (and one I leaned on and broke). My buddy is over 100k on his stock water pump. Hell really aside from the coils, the only work he has needed, is a new clutch. I tend to do more preventative maintenance. But yeah it can get pricey if you are paying someone else to do the work.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 01-02-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #144
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, people are more generally going to list problems on a forum rather than things that have not failed on their cars. But I agree that these problems are fairly common on higher mileage cars or cars that live in more extreme environments.

Myself and my best friend have 2011 335i's with over 100k and really neither of us have had any of those issues except my buddy did have to replace his coils due to misfires at 90k or so and I have had to replace two coolant reservoirs but that is nothing new in South Texas as I have had to replace plastic coolant reservoirs on my past cars as well.

Hell I have never even heard of a control arm issue. I did replace my water pump at 75k but only because I was replacing coolant hoses that I thought looked brittle (and one I leaned on and broke). My buddy is over 100k on his stock water pump. Hell really aside from the coils, the only work he has needed, is a new clutch. I tend to do more preventative maintenance. But yeah it can get pricey if you are paying someone else to do the work.
My biggest gripe is : Why the F is BMW putting a shitty expansion tank on a luxury car ? Its shitty as hell. For many reasons. They can put one that wont leak. I know those exist. Because i have owned many other cars that dont have such silly problems. And thats just an example of exactly the type of problems you will have with a BMW. Sure not all people have them but they are common. I know they are common because i walked in to the dealer to get a OFHG and the guy behind the counter had the same gasket pulled up on the screen from another customer. The worker literally told me BMW does this on purpose. And i believe it. Thats just BAD.

It bad knowing that you are working to make BMW money. Instead of enjoying your car for as long as possible. And its a car which means there is a safety factor. When a car is less reliably its automatically less safe. This might not be a concern to some people but its always worth considering..

Loss of HPFP rail pressure and safety features such as "brake drying" not working on the highway are potentially deadly..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #145
9krpmrx8
Rep

Yeah I dunno, I have replaced plastic reservoirs on many vehicles and on Mazdas, Hondas, Toyotas, etc, the plastic reservoirs failing prematurely is a common issue. On my RX-8 it was a common issue and so there are a couple of aluminum aftermarket options to replace the plastic one that work well. I made my own using a modified Canton aluminum reservoir and it worked perfectly for years. But the BMW res is only $50.00 and takes 5 minutes to swap out. The parts guy at a BMW dealer doesn't know shit really so that is just his opinion. But in my experience the oil filter housing gasket failing is typically a higher mileage issue and well, shit happens, every engine has it's things that are problematic. But again the OFHG job is simple and the parts are cheap.

As for BMW planning for these parts to fail prematurely, well I can't believe that since many were under warranty until 100k. The HPFP was addressed as BMW extended the warranty to 10 years or 120k IIRC. I'm not sure if that applied to the N55 cars using the same HPHP though.

As for safety, I don't think the HPFP failing is a safety concern really.
      01-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #146
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I dunno, I have replaced plastic reservoirs on many vehicles and on Mazdas, Hondas, Toyotas, etc, the plastic reservoirs failing prematurely is a common issue. On my RX-8 it was a common issue and so there are a couple of aluminum aftermarket options to replace the plastic one that work well. I made my own using a modified Canton aluminum reservoir and it worked perfectly for years. But the BMW res is only $50.00 and takes 5 minutes to swap out. The parts guy at a BMW dealer doesn't know shit really so that is just his opinion. But in my experience the oil filter housing gasket failing is typically a higher mileage issue and well, shit happens, every engine has it's things that are problematic. But again the OFHG job is simple and the parts are cheap.

As for BMW planning for these parts to fail prematurely, well I can't believe that since many were under warranty until 100k. The HPFP was addressed as BMW extended the warranty to 10 years or 120k IIRC. I'm not sure if that applied to the N55 cars using the same HPHP though.

As for safety, I don't think the HPFP failing is a safety concern really.
You keep saying simple. I keep telling you its actually not simple when it could cost an engine and leave you stranded or be a hazard while driving. Nothing simple about that. Also you dont need the guy behind the counter to tell you how common the OFHG leak is.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #147
9krpmrx8
Rep

Chicken little,

the coolant reservoirs don't explode or fail completely, they just leak at the seam and allow coolant to leak out slowly so it's unlikely it would cost you an engine or leave you stranded unless you ignore your low coolant warning.

And yes, the OFHG will likely leak at some point but it's not complicated.
      01-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #148
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

my n52 which has the same OFHG failed at 43750 miles. Not really high mileage. I've had coil packs fail on the same engine around 60k miles. I've owned two of these cars. Some people report longer life for these parts on their cars. If you know what you're getting into and almost have a failure pack of items waiting at home, its not much of an issue but I agree, it can throw a serious wrench in your plans if it happens unexpectedly and you don't have access to the parts.

Some of the issues mentioned are the same between the n52 and the n55 but some are not. Personally, I would still buy either of these cars and keep the parts that could fail on hand. Meanwhile, I have an 01 civic I keep on deck. Having a reliable japanese car is really a life saver.
Appreciate 1
Pladi719.00
      01-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #149
9krpmrx8
Rep

I wonder if this is BS.

https://www.amazon.com/01099100-Engi.../dp/B079NTXR9G
      01-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #150
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
IDK if its BS but it looks like BMW has also revised the gasket to have those little nipples on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #151
9krpmrx8
Rep

Hmmm, might have some merit to it then.
      01-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #152
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Omg the new gasket design is the cause for all of these bearing failures!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #153
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Chicken little,

the coolant reservoirs don't explode or fail completely, they just leak at the seam and allow coolant to leak out slowly so it's unlikely it would cost you an engine or leave you stranded unless you ignore your low coolant warning.

And yes, the OFHG will likely leak at some point but it's not complicated.
its not complicated but it can destroy your engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #154
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, might have some merit to it then.
That video is kind of sketch because she doesn't say what the flaw is, just that they addressed it, unless I had my dad ears on and wasn't listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Omg the new gasket design is the cause for all of these bearing failures!
jokes or nah?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread