E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help with backup camera

12-12-2018, 01:57 AM   #1
Kdubs88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

Hey guys. Before I start, I have installed back up cams on both e92s I used to have with eonon head units with no issues. This has me stumped though and would really appreciate some help.

So I've since sold the e92's and now I have a 2007 328i e90. I bought the avin 10.25" head unit, except I bought it from AliExpress for half of what avin charges. I ordered a backup cam off of amazon, it is the license plate lamp one. After I installed it works great with the car on, engine off. When I start the engine the cam doesn't come on, the head unit just says searching for signal. To my understanding, this is due to a voltage drop below 10v on the reverse light wire. So, I got a generic 12v 4 prong relay. I have found multiple write ups on a few forums of how to wire things, so I did it how they said to.

My ground is a ground point on the passenger side of the trunk behind the liner where a bunch of other grounds run, tested with a multimeter and it is good, I ran the ground wire to pin 85 on the relay.

Next, I got my 12v constant from the positive terminal on the battery, and ran the wire to pin 30 on the relay.

I tapped the reverse light wire (purple and black one) and ran it to pin 86 on the relay.

And lastly, the little red wire that is attached to the yellow connector for the backup cam was ran to pin 87 on the relay. On the back of the head unit, there is a red wire for the cameras power, also a red coming out of the other side of the yellow connector. They are wired together.

After setting things up like this, I am still running into the same issue and for the life of me don't know why. Has anyone dealt with this, or can tell me what to try based off of the info I provided? I'm not the best with electrical so thank you all very much.

Pics of the ride for attention.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Kdubs88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

Bump. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubs88 View Post
Bump. Anyone?
I think there is a thread in the DIY section for the backup camera wiring, might be useful to ask there?

On a side note, do you have any pics of the spoiler from the back? I got the same LMB color and am about to order the M4 spoiler lol. Also, what lip is that?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

I had the same problem on my e92 328i and I managed to solve it by using the DRL wire instead of the reverse light wire. The reverse light wire is too weak to switch the relay also and caused the relay to make a horrible clicking sound. The Daytime Running Light is always on with ignition and so the camera turns on permanently when the car is running. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

What unit did you buy? I am trying to hook mine up also and cannot find what wire to connect the 12v power to...

Have read its the reverse wire with a relay, but I cannot even find the reverse wire, and I am not sure how to wire up the relay....
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

Kdubs88

Here is the instructions from ///AVIN:

For Automatic transmission:

Note: DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING to your cars reverse lights!

1. Connect long video cable's RED wire to the wire labeled "+12V_Camera" from the MAIN harness cable plugged into the back of the monitor.

2. The other end of that long video cable's RED wire attaches to the backup camera's RED wire. This will power on the camera when you are in reverse.

3. The BLACK wire is GROUND.

^^^For your auto transmission...manual 6MT cars are different

EDIT: Everyone is this thread is messing with the reverse trigger wire. You're not supposed to be messing with the reverse wire as this isn't like any other unit, this unit is piggybacking off of the original harness and original headunit so it auto detects when you're in reverse for the automatics.

Instructions are different for manual cars and only in those 6MT cars is where you tap the reverse wire.
Appreciate 0