E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Heated Seat Retrofit

09-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #67
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
gotchya

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #68
gr8899
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 118d, A4 2.0TFSIQ, M5 3.8

Anyone got access to BMW ASAP?

I am doing this retrofit on my E87 as we speak, but the installation instructions on page 2/3 of this thread is from 2006. My car is facelift, and there has to be differences because one of the pins I am supposed to plug the new wiring into is already used by something else..

Retrofitkit part # 61110391644

Last edited by gr8899; 10-02-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #69
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8899 View Post
Anyone got access to BMW ASAP?

I am doing this retrofit on my E87 as we speak, but the installation instructions on page 2/3 of this thread is from 2006. My car is facelift, and there has to be differences because one of the pins I am supposed to plug the new wiring into is already used by something else..

Retrofitkit part # 61110391644
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/e87retrofit-asap
click link to website, and download pdf

heres the guide

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #70
gr8899
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/e87retrofit-asap
click link to website, and download pdf

heres the guide
Thanks, but that's the same that's on page 2 and 3 in this thread. It's outdated for facelift models. Facelift for E87 came in 03/2007, the document is from 07/2006.

There's a new fuse box/junction box from facelift, and one of the RT/BR cables (from the passenger seat) is supposed to be plugged in an already used pin on the X11004 connector. Plus the X11004 connector does not have anything to do with seat heating at all according to the fuse diagram. I believe seat heating fuses are only on X11006 which isn't mentioned in this guide at all.

I will try to contact the dealership tomorrow to hear if there's an updated version for the E87N out there...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #71
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
its the most recent from asap, i found it from there myself..

So, unless the set is incorrect, that is the newest most relevant fitting instr. available from BMW :?

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #72
knappy75
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

gr8899,

That is the same PDF that Justin from Roveractive had given me also. I'm waiting to hear if my dealership will install it for me. They aren't wanting to jump into anything they haven't seen before, even though it's an OEM BMW part.

I've done a ton of research on this also; I'll see if I can find anything, as I may be installing mine, myself, shortly. Eric
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #73
gr8899
Registered
Rep

Dang...

Thanks for checking Mallard.

knappy75, Good stuff. Let me/us know how it goes, as the guide is the same for E87 and E90. Also it's the same electrical in these cars. As far as my experience with this goes I would say the biggest problem by installing this kit is releasing the fuse box from behind the glove box. It's insanely hard to get to the four Torx T15 screws. I'm not sure if this is the same on E90, but I was recommended by a BMW mechanic to buy the longest T15 screw driver I could find and only use two of the four screws to fasten it again afterwards. I've had it out two times (detachable tow bar with OEM wiring) and now the seat heating, it's been PAIN both times around. As I bought seats with heating I have no clue about the installation of the heating grids.

My big issues now though:

1. Guide says C6 (passenger seat) RT/BR 4.0mm2 To fuse holder (SW 6-pin plug) X11004 Pin 6. However pin 6 is already taken. And also when checking the fuse diagram fitted in the car, the X11004 doesn't have anything to do with seat heating at all, and as far as I can see, neither does the X11005 which the drivers seat RT/BR (power supply) connects to. The connector which DOES have seat heating marked is the one besides these two. Anyone have a scan/picture of a fuse diagram to compare with mine?
My mad mechanical engineer electrical skills logic tells me that there's a big chance the power supply (RT/BR) to both seats are supposed to go where the seat heating fuses would be...

2. I have major problems plugging the small BL/VI and BL/WS cables into the 47-pin junction box connector. I just can't get them to go all the way in and sit how they should.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #74
knappy75
Rep

gr8899,

I spoke to Justin via e-mail, and that is the latest instruction manual available to him. Unfortunately I won't be doing the actual install for another 1-2 weeks. I am going to check my dealer today, and if I can get any additional information or am able to pull seats apart, etc. I'll let you know. Eric

P.S., thanks for the heads up on the fuse panel, especially if I am going to have to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #75
knappy75
Rep

BTW, is this what you're looking for as far as fuse diagram?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155493

(sorry, may have to cut and paste the link in your browser)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #76
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Quote:
Thanks, but that's the same that's on page 2 and 3 in this thread. It's outdated for facelift models. Facelift for E87 came in 03/2007, the document is from 07/2006.

There's a new fuse box/junction box from facelift, and one of the RT/BR cables (from the passenger seat) is supposed to be plugged in an already used pin on the X11004 connector. Plus the X11004 connector does not have anything to do with seat heating at all according to the fuse diagram. I believe seat heating fuses are only on X11006 which isn't mentioned in this guide at all.

I will try to contact the dealership tomorrow to hear if there's an updated version for the E87N out there...

Any update on a later set of instructions for the retrofit kit?

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #77
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep

gr8899, did you get your problems sorted? I'm close to ordering the kid and buttons myself for my '09 E90.

Thanks,
Howard

Quote:
Dang...

Thanks for checking Mallard.

knappy75, Good stuff. Let me/us know how it goes, as the guide is the same for E87 and E90. Also it's the same electrical in these cars. As far as my experience with this goes I would say the biggest problem by installing this kit is releasing the fuse box from behind the glove box. It's insanely hard to get to the four Torx T15 screws. I'm not sure if this is the same on E90, but I was recommended by a BMW mechanic to buy the longest T15 screw driver I could find and only use two of the four screws to fasten it again afterwards. I've had it out two times (detachable tow bar with OEM wiring) and now the seat heating, it's been PAIN both times around. As I bought seats with heating I have no clue about the installation of the heating grids.

My big issues now though:

1. Guide says C6 (passenger seat) RT/BR 4.0mm2 To fuse holder (SW 6-pin plug) X11004 Pin 6. However pin 6 is already taken. And also when checking the fuse diagram fitted in the car, the X11004 doesn't have anything to do with seat heating at all, and as far as I can see, neither does the X11005 which the drivers seat RT/BR (power supply) connects to. The connector which DOES have seat heating marked is the one besides these two. Anyone have a scan/picture of a fuse diagram to compare with mine?
My mad mechanical engineer electrical skills logic tells me that there's a big chance the power supply (RT/BR) to both seats are supposed to go where the seat heating fuses would be...

2. I have major problems plugging the small BL/VI and BL/WS cables into the 47-pin junction box connector. I just can't get them to go all the way in and sit how they should.

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #78
knappy75
Rep

FYI for those watching, the surround bezel, switches, and retrofit kit will be on their way shortly, from Roveractive. When I get them I will take some pics and post them. As for install, my dealer has agreed to do an install only, with my signed waiver that they are not responsible for coding, only for install and any issues that may arise from that. I will then e-mail Patrys for the coding part. I'll post back soon! Eric
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #79
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting update for my own personal situation. My car does not have the heated seat option but I had replaced my seats with heated sport seats (both old and new seats are premium) a few months back.

Taking this one step at a time, I picked up these Heated Seat Buttons.

I replaced my button panel which at the moment only contained the PDC button, with the one above, including putting my PDC button back in the same spot its in now (2nd from the left). Results...

Drivers side heated seats...WORK! No VO coding, nothing else, they just plain work.

Passenger side heated seats - do not work, not even the little lights above the button.

PDC still works, no problem.

So, my car appears to have the proper wiring for heated seats, at least for the drivers side. I have no idea why drivers side works and passenger side doesn't but my next step will be to contact Patry's who I understand is the man for this stuff, to have him add the heated seat VO (494?), and hope that addresses the passenger side. If that works, I'm good. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what else to try except the whole Euro retrofit kit but that seems like extreme overkill for what I already appear to have installed.

Howard

Last edited by hdrewh; 11-07-2010 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #80
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrewh View Post
Interesting update for my own personal situation. My car does not have the heated seat option but I had replaced my seats with heated sport seats (both old and new seats are premium) a few months back.

I replaced my button panel which at the moment only contained the PDC button, with the one above, including putting my PDC button back in the same spot its in now (2nd from the left). Results...

Drivers side heated seats...WORK! No VO coding, nothing else, they just plain work.

Passenger side heated seats - do not work, not even the little lights above the button.

So, my car appears to have the proper wiring for heated seats, at least for the drivers side. I have no idea why drivers side works and passenger side doesn't but my next step will be to contact Patry's who I understand is the man for this stuff, to have him add the heated seat VO (494?), and hope that addresses the passenger side. If that works, I'm good. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what else to try except the whole Euro retrofit kit but that seems like extreme overkill for what I already appear to have installed.

Howard
Your car definitely has to be coded. It's the first thing you need to do.
With or without me
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #81
knivez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

So you just bought the button panel and connected it in your dash and the driver's side heating worked? Do you have any pictures? The reason I am asking is I probably will do the same thing myself and I am a complete newb.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrewh View Post

Howard
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #82
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So you just bought the button panel and connected it in your dash and the driver's side heating worked?
yes but keep in mind my sort of hybrid situation. I can't explain it better than in post #79 a few above. Not much to show by way of pics, would only be the drivers side heated seat button with lights on, not much added value there.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #83
knappy75
Rep

Howard, good to hear that you are having at least some progress! After a customs delay and a couple of other issues, my retrofit kit will be here tonight. I will take some pics of the parts before I take it to the dealer to be installed.

And Howard, if you haven't made arrangements with Patrys already, let's see if we can get him to send both of us the plug, one at a time. I'll be ready by early next week. If yours doesn't work then, time to get the kit I guess. For all of your research, I hope you get it working correctly. Cool that you do have a warmer for yourself huh? Haha

Eric
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #84
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep

Had my coding done by Patrys, some nice bells and whistles but the passenger seat heating still does not work. Strange to me how the drivers side would be pre-wired but the passenger side not...unless it is and there is some other computer-related/electronic issue I'm just completely unaware-of.

Anyway, not sure if I want to dive in with the retrofit kit and just the passenger side installed. Also from looking at the instructions it looks like the retrofit kit runs some whole new wiring that bypasses the 'regular' harness (hence 'retrofit'). If I'm electronically "close" with the passenger side that kit would be even more overkill than it already seems.

Ideally I will find someone who really knows his BMW electronics and with the proper schematic, trace what's happening and what's missing on the passenger side.

I think that person will be hard to find but I'll keep looking.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #85
mech888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i & 335i

I wonder if I can do this on the cheap by only doing the drivers side. My fiancee really doesnt ride with me enough to need it honestly. Since my car has premium pack shouldnt it already have the memory seat/heated seat module installed? Shouldnt all I need is the seat element, switch and harness??
2011 328i Gone
2009 335i Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #86
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

No - cars with heated seats have a different module than cars with memory/power seats. Yes, you have a module that does memory and power functions, but you will need another module that replaces the one you have (and its expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech888 View Post
I wonder if I can do this on the cheap by only doing the drivers side. My fiancee really doesnt ride with me enough to need it honestly. Since my car has premium pack shouldnt it already have the memory seat/heated seat module installed? Shouldnt all I need is the seat element, switch and harness??
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #87
mech888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i & 335i

Yeah its 300+!
2011 328i Gone
2009 335i Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #88
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Clearly, the correct modules, the seats (as you said), the wiring, and coding the correct option into the vehicle order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Is it possible to do the opposite, I have the heated seat and want to retrofit the powered/memory seats.

Excepting the seats, what do I need?
Appreciate 0