E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How do I remove factory intercooler clamp

07-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
+1 just don't cut to far, i have a nice cut in my oem tubing now!
exactly why I wont go after those clamps w a cutting tool until its a last resort.

not worth it.
      07-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

I just installed my Helix and one of those clamps gave me a he'll of a time.

I finally got it off but not before bending the metal pipe on the passenger side...

I then tried to bend it back into shape as best I could and then I put the hose and clamp above it. I hope it doesn't give me any boost leaks...

I tested out the car and all seems well but I am a little paranoid about it. How do know if I have a boost leak without a boost guage? Will I limp or get a check engine light?

Is there a way to measure boost with the BT Tool?

Sorry for the off topic...

Last edited by Kelvin1000; 07-03-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #25
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post

I finally got it off but not before bending the metal pipe on the passenger side...

I then tried to bend it back into shape as best I could and then I put the hose and clamp above it. I hope it doesn't give me any boost leaks...

I tested out the car and all seems well but I am a little paranoid about it. How do know if I have a boost leak without a boost guage? Will I limp or get a check engine light?

Is there a way to measure boost with the BT Tool?

Sorry for the off topic...
listen for the leak, beat the hell out of the car and if there is no CEL or loss i power your probably ok.

better yet, get a boost gauge, you need one.
      07-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #26
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
listen for the leak, beat the hell out of the car and if there is no CEL or loss i power your probably ok.

better yet, get a boost gauge, you need one.
Thanks Sniz!

Is there any way to tell using the BT tool?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Sniz!

Is there any way to tell using the BT tool?

i'm not overly familiar w/ the BT but i'm assuming that since its reading the OBDII values that if your using a piggy it wont be accurate. If your flashed then it should be. anyone?
      07-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #28
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

The car will limp if you have a significant boost leak. After I finished the intercooler install, I drove the car, but did not beat on it. Today I was running it pretty hard and on the freeway threw a half check engine light. Anytime I would get into boost I could here a good leak. I found the pipe in the engine bay was loose, then I found one of my lower intercooler pipes had a very small leak,(It would make a faint wistle when in boost) the clamp was a little off. Adjusted everything today and no leaks.

I have noticed as I drive the car more, the power is getting stronger. I think the car is now adapting. Also, I don't know if it changes its fuel curves after you throw a half check engine light, and then gradually re-adapts.

Also, I did not disconnect my battery, is it recommended I disconnect it for a short period of time to reset the ecu?
      07-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #29
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

I have to say... Threads like this is why i frequent these forums.. Everybody comes together for the common good and helping out! Sniz, Mr5, Doba_S..and many more.. THANK YOU!

I'm going to be doing a FMIC, Oil Cooler, Intake install next week so this all will come in very handy!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #30
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
The car will limp if you have a significant boost leak. After I finished the intercooler install, I drove the car, but did not beat on it. Today I was running it pretty hard and on the freeway threw a half check engine light. Anytime I would get into boost I could here a good leak. I found the pipe in the engine bay was loose, then I found one of my lower intercooler pipes had a very small leak,(It would make a faint wistle when in boost) the clamp was a little off. Adjusted everything today and no leaks.

I have noticed as I drive the car more, the power is getting stronger. I think the car is now adapting. Also, I don't know if it changes its fuel curves after you throw a half check engine light, and then gradually re-adapts.

Also, I did not disconnect my battery, is it recommended I disconnect it for a short period of time to reset the ecu?
it will adapt on its own but you can force it by clearing the adaptation w a BT or disconnect the battery for a bit.
      07-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #31
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

just scared of what it would take to change the metal pipe that was damaged... If you think changing downpipes is hard, I can't imagine the pipe that connects to an even more unreachable part of the turbos...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Sniz knows from first hand expirience how this shit can happen. I had same exact situation as you. Bent pipe and everything. But worse, a water hose was knicked by the cutting tool. It seemed like just barely deep enough to worry about. It recently burst and the shop needed special tool to replace the bloody expensive little plastic water pipe and the attachments. I parted with $550 for that little exercise. And had to wait all week because no-one had the pipe in stock, had to special order. I hear snake hissing and whistling which Clem inspected and concluded was really my brakes. I have tried spraying the brake cleaner and it still wont go away.

I am paranoid its my bent charge pipe hissing like a snake because there is small leak which is not big enough to cause any problems YET. I don't worry about it, when it happens it will happan without warning just like the water hose later burst with no warning. I was lucky I was only a block away from home and there is garage behind my building that the guys do Land Rovers and Audis, and they took care of it. If this happened on the highway far from home, Ouch$$$$! Because you are not going to take it in to the dealer. And apparently BMW Assist will only tow you to a dealer. I got AAA now. Shit helps to know.

I want DPs, but I am afraid to mess with it anymore incase I provoke any more drama. If I get DPs, I'll look at changing that charge-pipe too and have Sniz install it. I think it is major $$$ for that sucker, so for now, I will let sleeping dogs lie.
      07-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #33
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

370 for the charge pipe BTW... Installing it looks like a pain in the ass...so I too will wait and pray...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #34
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Thanks Kelvin, cheaper than I thought, but installing that will take hours. I will wait for things to get bad then go for it maybe. I may see about installing it if I get DPs, otherwise its staying there, and I will pray.
      07-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #35
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

So far so good for me... the car felt the same right after the install but after a few hard pulls and some sleeptime for the DME overnight... the car woke up with a vengeance!!!

Has been pulling in brutal fashion all the way to redline in 90 degree weather. Map 7 on the JB3 was holding itself back without the intercooler. Big difference in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #36
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:

Bent or not, you put a silicon/rubber hose on it so it should conform.

You will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #37
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Bent pipe and everything. But worse, a water hose was knicked by the cutting tool. It seemed like just barely deep enough to worry about. It recently burst and the shop needed special tool to replace the bloody expensive little plastic water pipe and the attachments.
I nicked a rubber coolant line during the cutting (an example of why not to drink and install parts. ). I put a clamp on it to limit expansion and additional wear. But I already have a full fix method designed and will put in place if needed. But I doubt it will be.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #38
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

So far soo good but it was not only a little misshaped, it looked like a pie with 1/5 missing!!! (My father in law tried to stick a screwdriver in the clamp and twisted the hell out of it but not on the side where it splits!!! I tried to bend it back as best I could while still keeping the lip formation.

The car loves the Helix intercooler in South Florida weather. Huge difference... 3rd gear feels almost as brutal as second!!!
Appreciate 0