E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC problems - no voice guidance.

03-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M Sport Business Ed

Unhappy CIC problems - no voice guidance.

Hi again everyone.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am hoping someone can help.

I recently bought a 320d with the small screen CIC system. At the time the Navigation system would not work. A member helped me with a map update which I had problems with initially but got sorted in the end (by driving the car whilst the update was taking place!).

Once the update completed, i decided to test it out only to discover the Voice Guidance wasnt working. I put it down to the car conserving power as I had a failing battery. The battery has since been changed for a new one and now the car is fully alive, i even have my stop/start back after it was coded. Anyway; the Voice Guidance is still not there!

I did the Voice Guidance check in the hidden service menu, and sadly still no voice.

So I thought maybe the map software I was given maybe missing a "sound file" or something, and as I have done map updates successfully before [on my previous 320d with Pro] i thought i'd go down the route of obtaining the FSC code a look for replacement map files to start afresh.

BUT I have failed at the first step... the 1tb file needed to generate an FSC code (by inserting a usb stick that runs copie_scr.sh file) will not come down from the CIC.

So I am thinking is there something is majorly wrong with the CIC? Rather than the maps i have been sent? Maybe the previous own botched up a map update or a software update that has rendered the Navigation system partially useless??

Has anyone got any ideas of what i can try next? Maybe I have to re-flash the CIC system back to factory or update it to latest firmware/software properly?

Any help would be very much appreciated, I am at a loss at the moment

Thankyou!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

While voice guidance does rely upon map data the map FSC codes have nothing to do with voice.

The firmware picks up the text from the map data to generate the sound output for voice.

So it is likely that your firmware is not the right version for the data in the maps or your combination of upgrades is not correct for voice.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
While voice guidance does rely upon map data the map FSC codes have nothing to do with voice.

The firmware picks up the text from the map data to generate the sound output for voice.

So it is likely that your firmware is not the right version for the data in the maps or your combination of upgrades is not correct for voice.
Thankyou for the reply....that is kinda making some sense....

The reason I was attempting to get the 1tb file and subsequent FSC code was so that I could find the correct map files and attempt a re-install, as i too think something is not right with the map version that I was given and installed.

So how do I go about rectifying this, maybe even resetting to factory default 2010 maps? Is it possible?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I have just had a thought....

What if my CIC is supposed to have MOVE instead of MOTION ?

How would i be able to find out which version I am supposed to have installed?

Any ideas anyone...?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep

You first need to determine what the car came with and what you have now.

Post your VIN so we can see.

The smaller screen is usually for CIC business, which does not permit USB map updates.

It sounds like you have a retrofit which may be why you are having all of these issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You first need to determine what the car came with and what you have now.

Post your VIN so we can see.

The smaller screen is usually for CIC business, which does not permit USB map updates.

It sounds like you have a retrofit which may be why you are having all of these issues.
Sorry for the delayed reply, not been on and not received notification for your comment :-(

The VIN number A478372.

Intresting; if it doesnt take USB updates how does it take them?

As for retrofit... I dont think it is, how would I be able to find out what was installed at factory? Or is that what you can decipher from the VIN?

Thanks for responding and your help.

Last edited by Jakey1973; 11-20-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
opjose
Major
Rep

You have the Business Nav not the CIC Pro.

The maps and techniques here are for CIC PRO.

If your HU has a hard drive then the maps are updated via DVDs.

If there is no hard drive the maps is active off the DVD.

More info here https://www.bmw-driver.net/threads/b...usiness.43488/

Btw if you are not hearing the voice instructions, first make sure that voice instructions are toggled ON via the upper left icon on the screen.

Then while it is saying something you must increase the volume.

The issue is that you don't know when that is happening. You must start navigation and catch it at the right time to turn up the volume.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:31 AM   #8
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You have the Business Nav not the CIC Pro.

The maps and techniques here are for CIC PRO.

If your HU has a hard drive then the maps are updated via DVDs.

If there is no hard drive the maps is active off the DVD.

More info here https://www.bmw-driver.net/threads/b...usiness.43488/

Btw if you are not hearing the voice instructions, first make sure that voice instructions are toggled ON via the upper left icon on the screen.

Then while it is saying something you must increase the volume.

The issue is that you don't know when that is happening. You must start navigation and catch it at the right time to turn up the volume.
Thanks opjose;

I am aware i have the Business and not the Pro but I do have the USB in the glovebox, so I naturally assumed any updates would be taken from there. In fact to get the Satnav working from a non-working state I used a map update kindly sent to me via another member using the USB.

I also beleive i only have a CD player, rather than a DVD player as I assumed (wrongly or rightly) that i have a small screen and it doesnt have the resolution that the large screen has to play dvd's.

I was planning to remove the trim to see if there is a hard drive, so I will update here shortly with my findings.

I will also try your suggestion and see if i can catch the voice commands, but at the time the guidance was supposed to be saying something the radio is on and loud enough to hear and commands that are overspoken by the lady!

Yes the nav voice has that tick in the top right of the icon to suggest its ready to speak. So i beleive it is all ready to work, it just isnt.

Co-incidentally or not, i changed my tyres the other day and now I cant get the the Tyre Monitor System to display the graphic of the car with 4 green tyres like it was before, even though its showing a actively monitoring afer a reset. Has nothing to do with the nav voice command issue; but it does make me think that the CIC unit is 'failing' or something has happened to it like a botched attempt of a firmware or map update possibly. Yet everything else seems to work fine. It's bizarre.

thankyou for your continued help....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 07:10 AM   #9
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE: My CIC does not have a hard-drive.

Well not that I can see anyway. If I could show you a pic it would show a single-DIN type headunit made by SIRIUS with a BMW part number 9223314 and dated 05/10.

This clearly is not a Pro!

Last edited by Jakey1973; 03-13-2021 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
opjose
Major
Rep

You will need the DVD maps. Your unit should have a DVD reader in it, even if the display is not suitable for video.

Some here have said the last update for the DVD maps was in 2015.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #11
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You will need the DVD maps. Your unit should have a DVD reader in it, even if the display is not suitable for video.
Yeah, reading up a bit more I believe the cd player is an optical player according to BMW which translates to CD/DVD, but only able to read DVD data (maps discs) rather than traditional DVD content - so I think you are correct there.

Quote:
Some here have said the last update for the DVD maps was in 2015.
I have documentation on my actual card (from BMW) from the member who sent me the 2021 maps that the latest 2021 is "available" according to BMW, so it would be interesting if it could get a 2021 dvd and try it out.

Or, do you reckon I should try a 2015 dvd first, and the see if it'll take 2021?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #12
opjose
Major
Rep

AFAIK the 2021 maps are for CIC Pro and have the 3D lane data.

Your Nav unit does not have that. I see posts here that indicate a different set of DVD maps is required for Business units.

Maybe a search for CIC business maps here may help.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #13
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK the 2021 maps are for CIC Pro and have the 3D lane data.

Your Nav unit does not have that. I see posts here that indicate a different set of DVD maps is required for Business units.

Maybe a search for CIC business maps here may help.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on this.
ok mate no problem, thankyou you have been most helpful so far....
Appreciate 0