E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Anyone in North NJ Do DME Cloning?

03-29-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
Thomachaan
In-Over-Header
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Anyone in North NJ Do DME Cloning?

Hi, as thread title asks, anyone within a hundred miles of the North Jersey area do DME cloning? I finally diagnosed my DME as being faulty:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1789810&page=2

I prefer to drive over to bring/pick up the DME's myself, avoid mailing issues.

I bought a used one off eBay, same part number 7594485 (MSV80.1, Index 03, 5WK91137).

This is my car, been working on it for months. I caused a bad electrical fault after finishing up the valve cover gasket job. DME still communicates, but BSD is kaputz and PT-CAN high and low looks a bit corrupted. Engine sometimes starts, when it does it runs fine but transmission has separate issues. I cannot drive the car itself over.

If needed I can bring the CAS3 module and keys. Please PM or reply about availability and cost, otherwise eBay is my only other option I've found so far for this service. If this thread belongs somewhere else, please advise.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
I don't know of anyone doing DME clones in that area. Can you explain how you caused the electrical fault so we can learn from your mistake? Thanks and best of luck with the repair.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #3
Thomachaan
In-Over-Header
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantraxalos View Post
I don't know of anyone doing DME clones in that area. Can you explain how you caused the electrical fault so we can learn from your mistake? Thanks and best of luck with the repair.
Hey just saw your reply. As outlined in detail through my threads about my car, issue occured when I didn't place one of the upper ignition ground straps back after changing the valve cover gasket. Ran the car, tried re-securing while engine was running, caused a HUGE arc, and the engine shut down. Embarrassing I know, but here's another story to reiterate the importance of securing those things down.

Car:
2009 BMW 328i xDrive, N51, sedan.

My Theory:
High voltage may have been accumulating similar to the actual spark plug voltages. Once the strap made contact again, all that voltage jumped to the ground. In my humble understanding, that may have momentarily raised the ground potential and caused a reverse current flow through multiple systems.

Damage Report:
->DME's voltage regulator, BSD, and PT-CAN IC's all fried (may attempt a repair for fun).
->The gear position sensor (neutral safety switch) inside the transmission fried. That thing is connected directly to the transmission body ground, which is mated to the engine's body ground.
->My BST partially tripped because it didn't blow off but is no longer showing correct resistance to the MRS5 module. The resistor trick works which tells me the module is fine.
->Currently either my MAF or differential pressure sensor isn't working correctly. Might be from sitting dead for 3 months or from the electrical arc. Diagnosing now on another thread.

Hope this info helps those out there in a similar bind.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
Thomachaan
In-Over-Header
United_States
Rep

*I found someone locally (CT) to clone my DME, and bought a Chinese gear position sensor (likely a refurbished OEM). These fixed my no crank no start issues, so my car knows what gear it's in and starts. Drives nearly perfectly now.

I'm temporarily using a resistor to fool my MRS5 module to clear the BST error. Will be replacing with an aftermarket one off Amazon soon.

Would appreciate any and all help in diagnosing the MAF/Differential Pressure Sensor issue which is causing light roughness and idle hunting:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822712
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
Faisel28
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 bmw 328i

Hello ive done the same exact thing as you when performing valve cover job using your post as a guide has HELPED ALOT! but ive had a remanufactured dme programmed and synced to my cas i replaced my key holder and replaced the neutral safety switch now i can get my car to crank same car 09 n51 328i e90 coupe it cranks very strong but will not fire up ive checked everything i replaced the BST programmed a used dme to my vin and i replaced the nuetral safety switch the ignition switch and key holder ive been using a bmw scanner and bmw carly scanner to inspect vehicle on monday ill have access to inpa to further inspect before hand my car started and ran fine until this arc happened i still have the bsd communication error code and now missing water pump code ive used your post as guidelines and thats how I figured out the gear position sensor was my loss of my park signal and reason for my no crank no start issue now i crank no start good fuel i dont think im getting spark now but im not getting any codes that would prevent start from what i see
Appreciate 0