E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Aftermarket Clutch/Flywheel Options?

08-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
yeah their website isn't that well updated with news and products. just give them a call. their shop line is: 305-971-3114

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #24
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
i have ASR's stage 3 clutch and chose to keep my stock flywheel so i have no chatter like lamia is talking about. ASR has 5 stages, 4 and 5 must use a aftermarket flywheel and 1,2,3 you can choose.

so far the clutch has been awesome, great bite and stock like pedal feel. only a few people have asked if i changed the clutch after driving it themselves.
didn't you buy the the dinan flywheel and it was messed?? if you did then I remember seeing your car on the lift

yeah honestly just stick with the stock flywheel the ratter sucks

and I think ASR designed the spec clutch or something like that
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #25
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamia2super View Post
didn't you buy the the dinan flywheel and it was messed?? if you did then I remember seeing your car on the lift

yeah honestly just stick with the stock flywheel the ratter sucks

and I think ASR designed the spec clutch or something like that
haha i didnt want to mention it, dinan has enough problems of its own but yes, they sent me a garbage flywheel so that was the reason i stuck with the stocker.

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #26
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I had an ACT 2600 in my 2g DSM a while back. I definitely liked that clutch, so I will probably be going with ACT once the stocker gives out on my 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #27
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
haha i didnt want to mention it, dinan has enough problems of its own but yes, they sent me a garbage flywheel so that was the reason i stuck with the stocker.
haha yeah they showed it to me when I mentioned Dinan lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #28
Ironring Racing
N54 FTW!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 6MT

Thanks a ton guys, really helpful info and reviews!

Lamia (or anyone with the lightened flywheel), one last question, how much faster does it increase or decrease revs. As you're accelerating, did you notice an increase in power to the wheels, and when you're heel-toe downshifting, how much faster do the revs rise and fall?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #29
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironring Racing View Post
Thanks a ton guys, really helpful info and reviews!

Lamia (or anyone with the lightened flywheel), one last question, how much faster does it increase or decrease revs. As you're accelerating, did you notice an increase in power to the wheels, and when you're heel-toe downshifting, how much faster do the revs rise and fall?
I feel it faster and I find it funner to drive. I cant really go into too much details because I forgot how it was I just feel it much more quicker
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #30
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Stupid question... why is the Race less than the Street version? I don't know much about clutches... but I'm always paranoid mine will burn out lol
I have to double check pricing but the clutch material might be more expensive in the street clutch. Chances are my guy loaded the wrong pricing though

Quote:
Eric,

What are the cons of the race kit in a street car? More abrupt engagement, higher clutch pedal force, harder on drivetrain? I'm guessing with the stock flywheel it won't be any noisier, and won't rattle.

I'm just thinking as the tuned N54's are within 10% of the street limit, and with meth/etc they may soon exceed it. Would hate to go through all the expense and labour only to be above the torque rating in a few months, so if the downsides of the race clutch are small, I might go that way.

I assume because both use the stock flywheel that they don't rev any quicker than stock?
The race clutch will have a heavier pedal and a bit rougher engagement but its still very streetable.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #31
Ironring Racing
N54 FTW!
Canada
Rep

Thanks Eric, just FYI the prices on your website are the same as nlakind posted in his review of the ACT. I think the puck clutch is cheaper (to make, not quality) than the disc in the street clutch, as the pricing for the SPEC clutches is the same, the puck race ones are cheaper than the full disk street ones.

If I was single, I'd probably do the clutch and light flywheel, but with a wife that occasionally drives the car, I'm thinking a stage 3 clutch.

Eric, thanks for posting. I'm concerned with both the ACT and the SPEC stage 2 (both organic friction material) that I may be exceeding the 450tq rating with meth/turbo upgrade, so I'm really left with just the SPEC stage 3+ as the only option I've found with 500+tq rating with the OEM flywheel.

But from this thread most recommendations have been for ACT (not a large sample group, but it's all I've got). Do you know if ACT is bringing out a higher rated clutch kit? If so, when, and I may hold off. Winter is coming (I'm in Canada) so I won't be putting much stress on the clutch for the next 7 months, and could possibly wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #32
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Thanks OddJob, I didn't know ASR made a clutch for the 335, all they have on thier website is the WRX stuff.
Wrong company or website. We only manufacture product for BMW, Porsche and Mercedes. Yes, we do offer 5 stages of clutch packages from stock flywheel self adjusting to non-self adjusting with aluminum flywheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #33
Ironring Racing
N54 FTW!
Canada
Rep

I found the right website later, but you click on the BMW and it just says "Products under development".

What would be your equivalent to the SPEC Stage 3+ with OEM flywheel 570ft-lbs rated clutch?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #34
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
I found the right website later, but you click on the BMW and it just says "Products under development".

What would be your equivalent to the SPEC Stage 3+ with OEM flywheel 570ft-lbs rated clutch?
We co-developed the clutch kit with Spec and gave them all the data as well as doing fitment testing for them. We also use Spec for all our Porsche applications as well. Spec makes a great clutch kit which is why we chose to work with them. This is also another reason why can offer the deepest deals for the BMW N54 clutch kits from Spec. So to answer your question, yes it is the same kit as ours. All this information can be verified through Spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #35
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr engineering View Post
We co-developed the clutch kit with Spec and gave them all the data as well as doing fitment testing for them. We also use Spec for all our Porsche applications as well. Spec makes a great clutch kit which is why we chose to work with them. This is also another reason why can offer the deepest deals for the BMW N54 clutch kits from Spec. So to answer your question, yes it is the same kit as ours. All this information can be verified through Spec.
Is the spec super twin or mini twin coming to the BMW market any time?

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0