E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e91 Rear Camera Install Questions

06-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
jschnelk
Rep
Drives: 2017 & 2009 Alpine White Wagon

e91 Rear Camera Install Questions

Has anyone done a rear camera install on an e91? I see a number of how to's for the e90, but the wagon is a much different animal with the hatch instead of the trunk.

I purchased the Auto Vox wireless rear view mirror / backup camera kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Back.../dp/B078N5NZPW

I like this set up because it is a clean install and does not require a new head unit with a video screen.

Wiring the mirror in to the fuse box should not be a problem, but I am struggling with the best way to connect the camera and transmitter in the back. It seems like I could wire it into the reverse light behind the panel in the hatch and tuck the transmitter back there as well, but from what I have read on these forums I may need to use a relay with a 12v constant power source. I don't think that exists in the hatch itself which means I would likely need to run wire through the hinge assembly and all the way to the battery or 12v source in the boot.

Has anyone done this install? Any guidance?

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the camera will have it's power/video lead in one wire. fish that through the hatch wiring harness, through the rubber boot, and down the hatch. Leave transmitter and the like hidden in the rear cargo area under a panel by the battery. Run your relay and power tap right there.

that's what I did in my wife's volvo wagon anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
jschnelk
Rep

Update: Installed the camera yesterday and it works great.

Camera DID NOT need a relay as power from the reversing light was enough to power it. This made the install simple as once you tap into the ground and reversing light wires in the hatch, you can tuck the wireless transmitter behind the insulation behind the hatch panel. No need to run wire through the hatch loom to access the battery or another 12v source in the boot itself.

The only tricky part is you need to drill a hole behind the license plate to fit the cables from the camera so they can be connected to the transmitter. I used a small hole bit on my drill and after the wire was through sealed it with foam and silicone to prevent any water leaking in.

At the front, you can mount the mirror/monitor and just run the power through the ceiling headliner and A Pillar trim down to the fuse box. I used a fuse tap into an empty slot on my fuse panel.

The entire setup is very clean and works well. I suspect the reason a relay was not needed (as other posts have indicated is necessary) is because this is a newer camera and draws very little power. I have a clear picture with no interference just by using the reversing wire as my source.

If anyone wants any photos, just let me know and I can post them here.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
foxfire235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91

I'd like to see some pics if possible. Just picked up a 2007 e91 and would love to put a similar backup cam in. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

may want to look into
https://www.amazon.com/LIEBMAYA-Degr...71680302&psc=1

if I do a backup camera that's what will happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
jschnelk
Rep

Hi All, I finally got around to taking some pics of the install. You can see how the camera mounts over the mirror. The camera image is much more clear than in the photo.

You can see where I drilled the hole behind the license plate to get the module to fit. I just filled it with foam rubber and sealed it with silicone to prevent leaking.

The camera mounts in the center above the plate. The mount has two holes that line up with the top screws for the plate. It makes it a little tricky to activate the handle to open the hatch, but not too bad. I suppose any camera might work as long as you plugged it into the wireless transmitter. So perhaps a BMW handle with the camera to the side would work.

I snapped a pic of the boot panel. You can see the insulation. You need to cut it to get back in there and tuck everything in place, but as you can see, once you put it back in you could never tell there is anything back there. the wireless transmitter is back there and is spliced into the reversing wire using the included connectors that came with the camera.

I did not photograph the fuse tap in the fuse box. Pretty simple. I ran wire from the mirror down behind the a pillar cover.

All in all, I am really happy with this. It was easy, required minimal wiring or modification, inexpensive and looks clean.

If anyone has any questions, let me know!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
Luna118
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschnelk View Post
Update: Installed the camera yesterday and it works great.

Camera DID NOT need a relay as power from the reversing light was enough to power it. This made the install simple as once you tap into the ground and reversing light wires in the hatch, you can tuck the wireless transmitter behind the insulation behind the hatch panel. No need to run wire through the hatch loom to access the battery or another 12v source in the boot itself.

The only tricky part is you need to drill a hole behind the license plate to fit the cables from the camera so they can be connected to the transmitter. I used a small hole bit on my drill and after the wire was through sealed it with foam and silicone to prevent any water leaking in.

At the front, you can mount the mirror/monitor and just run the power through the ceiling headliner and A Pillar trim down to the fuse box. I used a fuse tap into an empty slot on my fuse panel.

The entire setup is very clean and works well. I suspect the reason a relay was not needed (as other posts have indicated is necessary) is because this is a newer camera and draws very little power. I have a clear picture with no interference just by using the reversing wire as my source.

If anyone wants any photos, just let me know and I can post them here.
+1
Appreciate 0