E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 4S jump start pack too high voltage? Anyone use 4S vs a 3S?

06-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

4S jump start pack too high voltage? Anyone use 4S vs a 3S?

I would like to keep a jump pack in my car, possibly on a maintainer, can I utilize a 4S pack at 16.8Vdc?

Does anyone do this with no apparent repercussions to the electrical system?

Ideally looking for validation as opposed to a guess based on nominal system voltage.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep

LiPOs far very poorly on maintainers.

They also do poorly with the temperature changes and temp extremes in a car.

You are better off with Gel Cells or LiFe packs, but remember that you need a very high capacity pack with decent discharge rates if you wish to start from a dead battery.

Most of the smaller light pocket packs merely act to charge a not fully depleted car battery and take quite a while to do so.

That said I have seen people jump start a BMW via the jumper connectors using a 8000mAh 30c 4S LiPo pack but it ruined the battery. No ill effects to the car though as the voltage dropped to 14v immediately due to the high load.

Consider one of the more traditional portable, double or triple a toaster sized
, jump starters with the top handles and standard battery clamps.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

you're better off with a pair of quality jumper cables and a good samaritan.
or a triple a membership.

I have not been imressed by any of the "pocket" jump starters.
they all overstate their amperage drastically.
advertising 1000amps, but you're using an EC5 connector? ooooookkkkkkk.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
you're better off with a pair of quality jumper cables and a good samaritan.
or a triple a membership.

I have not been imressed by any of the "pocket" jump starters.
they all overstate their amperage drastically.
advertising 1000amps, but you're using an EC5 connector? ooooookkkkkkk.
Yeah, it’s farcical. I think they rate them on instantaneous even on the “better” ones.

I generally use the SMH plugs for applications like this, and they tend to be the best compromise between small, polarity protection, and durability.

Have several vehicles I simply unplug because of the parasitic drain almost everything has with a active monitoring system for keys.

The SMH plug is perfect for that task, as well as swapping out cells from one vehicle to the other for certain vehicles like PWC or UTVs.

Specifically this is to intended to simply jump a low cell that cranks slow, as these cars seem to do the same parasitic draw when parked....even on a new cell it’s been a issue coming back to the vehicle after a week of sitting.

Decent car, aggravating power management in my experiences.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
LiPOs far very poorly on maintainers.

They also do poorly with the temperature changes and temp extremes in a car.

You are better off with Gel Cells or LiFe packs, but remember that you need a very high capacity pack with decent discharge rates if you wish to start from a dead battery.

Most of the smaller light pocket packs merely act to charge a not fully depleted car battery and take quite a while to do so.

That said I have seen people jump start a BMW via the jumper connectors using a 8000mAh 30c 4S LiPo pack but it ruined the battery. No ill effects to the car though as the voltage dropped to 14v immediately due to the high load.

Consider one of the more traditional portable, double or triple a toaster sized
, jump starters with the top handles and standard battery clamps.
But they are small and compact. It’s nice to have something that doesn’t take up very much room, as it’s more of a backup incase something weird happens. Would absolutely use something different if I need it at home and have access to my wall booster or small Odyssey cells I could throw in the back if I perceive there may be a issue.

Many times I will go to use the car for its intended usage and after sitting a week The cell is noticeably low, even on a new cell...

Don’t really want to get stuck somewhere or bother someone if I don’t have to. And I am not always in populated areas.

I would rather put in a little effort in and try and be prepared and self sufficient, only falling back on help if required.

The car seems to charge just fine and the cell is new, so unless the charge profile is mis set, it seems like I need a alternate backup.

That is one thing I have been suspicious of, is that maybe the charge profile is incorrect for the type of cell, but I have not found a easy way to verify that detail.

Last edited by rotarypower101; 06-17-2019 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
opjose
Major
Rep

You asked for input...

Because Lipo batteries do not fare well in the conditions cars subject them to, there is a very high likelihood that you will be quite disappointed at the point you need to use the pack.

Most of the small cheap "rechargers" have grossly inadequately sized batteries too.

A jump starter, though bigger, holds up much better.

This is from experience with all of the above.
Appreciate 0