E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can’t get serpentine belt back on...

11-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Can’t get serpentine belt back on...

Okay so I know I’m gonna feel like a real moron after this gets answered but try as I might I can’t get the belt back on my n54...see the attached pic. It feels like the belt is too short although i compared it to the belt I took off and they are the same length. I can get the tensioner fully bottomed out against the stop and the belt is still about 1.5” from going around the top tensioner pulley...any insight???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

I believe this is the routing you want to use

Other than that, if I'm remembering correctly I found it easiest to run the belt fully and then slip it on the tensioner pulley last while putting weight on the tensioner to give me some slack.

Maybe get a second hand to hold the tensioner while you route the belt? A long breaker bar makes it easier if you're doing it alone, the shorter your ratchet the more difficult it is to hold the tension off.

Edit: Also make sure you didn't get the belt hung up on anything down towards the bottom. You should be able to get your hands down there and feel around. It took a little bit of maneuvering to get my belt to sit perfectly

Edit #2: Looking at it again, I think I used the pulley under the tensioner pulley as the last one to wrap around. Something about that one just seems easier to put on last.

Last edited by nissubaru; 11-19-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

+1, is your belt even around all of them? Obviously, make sure you got the right belt length.

Can't see if the tensioner is compressed (doesn't look like it), but fully compress it and use a pin or similar through the holes to hold it until the belt is installed. That spring is stout, make sure whatever you use is solid and has no chance of popping out. New belt is a somewhat snug fit even with the tensioner fully compressed. Get it routed and then pull the all slack out at the last pulley, make sure the ribs are in the grooves and that it's seated properly on all pulleys or you likely won't have enough slack to get it over the last one (tensioner or tensioner idler probably is best).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Username does not check out apparently..

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 10
      11-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #6
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
I believe there's a couple different ways the belt can be routed on our engines, i ran into the same issue the first time i replaced mine and i wasn't routing it correctly. I had found 2 different ways in Google for the N54, i guess it depends on what year the motor was made or something.
      11-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

What part number is on the belt?

If that's not it, obviously user error is happening here.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
I believe there's a couple different ways the belt can be routed on our engines, i ran into the same issue the first time i replaced mine and i wasn't routing it correctly. I had found 2 different ways in Google for the N54, i guess it depends on what year the motor was made or something.

As far as I know there are two ways, this thread below is where I discovered this information

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11957

I believe the problem with the original way of routing the belt was that it could potentially come in contact with the subframe so it was re-routed for better clearance. If this affects the length of the belt, I'm not sure. All I can say is I bought a Continental belt recently from FCPEuro and had no issues with fitment.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Is installer error. Old and new belts are same length. Change of username is in order.....
Appreciate 5
      11-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Is installer error. Old and new belts are same length. Change of username is in order.....
Just to clarify I’m not trolling you...the routing diagram on realoem and of pictures I’ve seen of n54 engines shows a different routing than what I ended up using...and I’m an engineer...I don’t typically do stuff half assed until I ensure the full assed way isn’t working for a valid reason...no point in reinventing the wheel or breaking something needlessly...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
the routing diagram on realoem and of pictures I’ve seen of n54 engines shows a different routing than what I ended up using
Where do you keep seeing different belt routes..??

Please provide examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
I believe the problem with the original way of routing the belt was that it could potentially come in contact with the subframe so it was re-routed for better clearance.
How does rerouting the belt provide better clearance between the PS pulley and the subframe..??
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      11-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Where do you keep seeing different belt routes..??

Please provide examples.

How does rerouting the belt provide better clearance between the PS pulley and the subframe..??
The belt goes above the pull instead of crossing at the bottom I believe.

Here is the thread which was originally discussed and has the pics.

Appreciate 1
      11-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

+1
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

Even if so this "alternative" routing exist as an option, won't prevent belt-pulley damage if they contact the subframe. I have done many belts, including 3 on my personal n54, only one routing I know, same as seen on the technical photo in the n54tech link you posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Even if so this "alternative" routing exist as an option, won't prevent belt-pulley damage if they contact the subframe. I have done many belts, including 3 on my personal n54, only one routing I know, same as seen on the technical photo in the n54tech link you posted.
Yeah now that I've read the other thread I think that the N54 picture was just like a render pre-render of what the engine would have been and when it came out the actual belt routing is the one from realOEM and how yours and everyone else's is already on the engine .
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #16
E92Monroy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Okay so I know I’m gonna feel like a real moron after this gets answered but try as I might I can’t get the belt back on my n54...see the attached pic. It feels like the belt is too short although i compared it to the belt I took off and they are the same length. I can get the tensioner fully bottomed out against the stop and the belt is still about 1.5” from going around the top tensioner pulley...any insight???
Having the same issue any tips ? Or did you figure out what was the issue ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #17
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Monroy View Post
Read through the whole thread. You're probably not routing it correctly, There's 2 different ways.
      06-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Monroy View Post
Make sure the belt is properly seated on the lower pulleys. The two times I've put a new belt on my 335i I had to work a little harder to get the belt around the crank pulley more than any of the others. It tends to get hung up.

I would probably suggest starting at the bottom and continuing to pull the belt tight as you work your way up. Idk...it took me like 2 minutes last time using the routing that I posted further up in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 03:21 PM   #19
john_bmw_porsche
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

BMW 335I E90 2008 Shreaded serpentine belt

Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 335I with 48K miles.
Recently the original serpentine belt die catostraphically. It was totally shreaded.
I installed a new serpentine belt... It also shreaded in a matter of days.

I figured it was an ancillary component that could be locking up. Over stressing the belt and killing it.

I thoroughly inspected all ancillary components which seemed to rotate smoothly. HOWEVER, during the inspection I found that pieces of the old belt were entangled in the alternator and parts of the belt were behind the power steering pump. My thought was that the old pieces of shreaded belt were getting into the new belt/pulley and kicking off the belt.

I thoroughly inspected the entire front of the engine, pulled off the harmonic balancer, inspected for belt pieces, inspected the main seal and buttoned everything back up... Bought a new belt and installed it.

While the engine bay was still open we started the car and inspected the operation of the belt. Incredibly within a matter of minutes the belt was kicked off the pulleys and was shreaded.... FURTHER INSPECTION found that the power steering pump bolts backed out leaving the air pump non-secured. The mis-alignment of the air pump kicked the belt off the pulleys the subsequent rotation of engine ancillary driven parts killed the.

Lesson learned... IF your car shreads belts. Look at proper attachment and alignment of all components.

I tightened all ancillary drive components, installed another new belt and it runs great.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #20
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bmw_porsche View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 335I with 48K miles.
Recently the original serpentine belt die catostraphically. It was totally shreaded.
I installed a new serpentine belt... It also shreaded in a matter of days.

I figured it was an ancillary component that could be locking up. Over stressing the belt and killing it.

I thoroughly inspected all ancillary components which seemed to rotate smoothly. HOWEVER, during the inspection I found that pieces of the old belt were entangled in the alternator and parts of the belt were behind the power steering pump. My thought was that the old pieces of shreaded belt were getting into the new belt/pulley and kicking off the belt.

I thoroughly inspected the entire front of the engine, pulled off the harmonic balancer, inspected for belt pieces, inspected the main seal and buttoned everything back up... Bought a new belt and installed it.

While the engine bay was still open we started the car and inspected the operation of the belt. Incredibly within a matter of minutes the belt was kicked off the pulleys and was shreaded.... FURTHER INSPECTION found that the power steering pump bolts backed out leaving the air pump non-secured. The mis-alignment of the air pump kicked the belt off the pulleys the subsequent rotation of engine ancillary driven parts killed the.

Lesson learned... IF your car shreads belts. Look at proper attachment and alignment of all components.

I tightened all ancillary drive components, installed another new belt and it runs great.
I'd still atleast drain the oil and stick a boroscope through the oil level sensor and check inside the pan
Appreciate 0