E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > xDelete is SO FUN!

04-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #23
z3Ro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335XI M-Sport

i think i see this from a different perspective. true it might be more fun but the real reason for me is if i get a flat and if i dont have cash on the side to replace all 4 at the same time. disabling it will allow me to run some shit temp. tire till i can all 4
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #24
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3Ro View Post
i think i see this from a different perspective. true it might be more fun but the real reason for me is if i get a flat and if i dont have cash on the side to replace all 4 at the same time. disabling it will allow me to run some shit temp. tire till i can all 4
Wrong. Disengaging power from the front driveshaft will not protect the differentials from the effects of unequal tire diameters.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #25
OstrichE92
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Wrong. Disengaging power from the front driveshaft will not protect the differentials from the effects of unequal tire diameters.
I think it might stop the X-Drive system from freaking out though, could be talking out of my ass lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #26
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Why would open differentials not tied together by a transfer case care if tire sizes are different?

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #27
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown07 View Post
Why would open differentials not tied together by a transfer case care if tire sizes are different?
If the left tire and the right tire aren't the same size, the differential will experience excessive wear. The transfer case don't figger into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #28
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
If the left tire and the right tire aren't the same size, the differential will experience excessive wear. The transfer case don't figger into it.
So you're concerned about the spider gears slowly rotating around in an open differential to make a small difference in tire wear. No way. He did said he was doing this temporarily as well.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #29
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

Better safe that sorry. Side note:

Just got xDelete installed today, and holy. What a fun little mod! I thought I broke the car at first, I turned it on before i installed xhp later in the day(disabled xdelete first). Every time I would hit boost the car would literally cut power and throw me into the steering wheel. Thought it was a huge issue at first, no check engine lights, only when I was on the power. Tried to make a pass on the highway and again, almost through the windshield. I looked down and saw the traction control light flash for the first time ever LOL

Fun mod 10/10, would drive 50% of my time in that mode
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #30
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Power is only being sent to the rear wheels. That means less drivetrain loss.
Nope. The front wheels are most likely on the ground, which means the front diff and drive shaft are spinning and losing either way.
Quote:
X drive still weighs 180lbs more then RWD cars and we are still rotating the front axles and they still have some drag. Transfer case also has it's resistance in play too (I believe).
You got it! Transfer case resistance is present whether the clutch is engaged or not.
Quote:
It's absolutely not a placebo affect as to having less rolling resistance and increased efficiency though.
All 4 wheels are rolling. All 4 half-shafts are fighting inertia. Both diffs are spinning. Both driveshafts are twirling away. Rolling resistance is the same. Therefore efficiency is the same.
Quote:
Anyway, agree to disagree. Everyone is right on the internet anyway? If you have something more complex as to how you guys got this notion, I'd be happy to be educated on it.
Yup, as just someone on the internet, you have very little reason to blindly believe me. But you can accept the information I've provided and run it thru your BS detector, and hopefully arrive to a similar conclusion.
I don't know the in and outs of this software mod, but if power is being cut to the front wheels, then there has to be an increase in power. If the VGSG is keeping the transfer case clutch open, then your certainly gaining power from less drive train loss. I'd imagine the car is most definitely fast from 70-130mph...

I'm interested to hear/learn more about why this has otherwise been proven wrong...?
      05-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #31
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G View Post
I don't know the in and outs of this software mod, but if power is being cut to the front wheels, then there has to be an increase in power. If the VGSG is keeping the transfer case clutch open, then your certainly gaining power from less drive train loss. I'd imagine the car is most definitely fast from 70-130mph...

I'm interested to hear/learn more about why this has otherwise been proven wrong...?
Clutch open doesn't eliminate drivetrain losses, as everything is still spinning and dragging. Also, according to BMW's own documentation, xDrive is inactive above 70 or so MPH. Every one of our factory cars "xDeletes" itself automatically every time it's at cruising speed. So even if the fine folks at xDelete have broken the laws of physics that have held up for the last 4.7 billion years, it still wouldn't make a 70-130 MPH pull any faster than stock since BMW beat them to it.

The only reason they measured an increase in power was a obvious deficiency in the testing method, which is clearly visible in the dyno video they've uploaded to social media. They compared front wheels spinning against front wheels not spinning. The power-increase/drivetrain-loss-reduction they observed could only be achieved IRL if you managed to pop and hold a wheelie at all times. Good luck steering!
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #32
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

:
I just asked for a refund for my x-delete...so far no response back.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #33
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G View Post

Clutch open doesn't eliminate drivetrain losses, as everything is still spinning and dragging. Also, according to BMW's own documentation, xDrive is inactive above 70 or so MPH. Every one of our factory cars "xDeletes" itself automatically every time it's at cruising speed. So even if the fine folks at xDelete have broken the laws of physics that have held up for the last 4.7 billion years, it still wouldn't make a 70-130 MPH pull any faster than stock since BMW beat them to it.

The only reason they measured an increase in power was a obvious deficiency in the testing method, which is clearly visible in the dyno video they've uploaded to social media. They compared front wheels spinning against front wheels not spinning. The power-increase/drivetrain-loss-reduction they observed could only be achieved IRL if you managed to pop and hold a wheelie at all times. Good luck steering!
Hmmm interesting. I still would believe that with the clutch engaged there would be additional drivetrain loss since the transfer case is actually forced to "drive" the front wheels vs the front wheels rotating "freely". Beyond my pay grade though to dive any deeper lol

I have heard about the xdrive disengaging after 70mph, but last time I read on it (probably two years ago) some were unsure if it was still the case with the e9x pre "x drive" branding. Do you have any sources to this information? It seems silly to have awd turn off above 70mph...especially if there is any type of rain or light snow present.

Last edited by Nismo G; 10-17-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #34
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

So, is all the power going to the rear then? Or are you only getting 60% or so?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #35
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
So, is all the power going to the rear then? Or are you only getting 60% or so?
It's all going to the rear. However, what has been discussed is that there is still drivetrain loss due to all the parts that are still moving. So all the power is being "sent" to the rear via a disengaged transfer case clutch at the front.

Last edited by Nismo G; 10-17-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #36
Machspeed93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Would xDelete protect the transfer case? I've read that transfer cases can fail on higher mileage cars. I'm interested in xDelete for more than protecting the transfer case but also am curious...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #37
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machspeed93 View Post
Would xDelete protect the transfer case? I've read that transfer cases can fail on higher mileage cars. I'm interested in xDelete for more than protecting the transfer case but also am curious...
I do not know about "protecting" it, but it should lessen the wear as per what I read.

I have also seen cases where people with transfer case issues just use Xdelete as a band aid until they can pay to replace the TC.

Either way, it is something I would like to invest in as well. Seems like a pretty neat mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #38
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

I need someone to talk me into xDelete! I have been debating for so long. I Have heard mostly good reviews with a few people the opposite.
I am not interested in making it rwd, however the inbeween settings do sound appealing. I live in Canada so it does get driven in the snow.
I have done my transmission service, plus new fluids in both diffs. Mhd stage2+ and Xhp stage 3.
Am I missing out by not using Xdelete !?

I have a side issue of a slight click/play in my steering column. I believe that uJoint. Any idea if the lighter steering feel of Xdelete is going to make this feel worse... or maybe better!?
      08-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #39
putnampunk
Private
Rep
Drives: M3/4/5, E91, LeMons E30

First LSD then I definitely want to give this a try
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #40
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I need someone to talk me into xDelete! I have been debating for so long. I Have heard mostly good reviews with a few people the opposite.
I am not interested in making it rwd, however the inbeween settings do sound appealing. I live in Canada so it does get driven in the snow.

Am I missing out by not using Xdelete !?
LSD would make it 1000% better but still worth it in my opinion. I bought it on sale probably around a year ago, along with a cheap Amazon cord that did the job.

With no LSD and no-season tires, I found full xdelete (0% forward) to be entirely useless in low traction driving. I tried the presets (sport and snow) but ultimately found that a custom setting of 35% forward was the best of all worlds. I left it there for the rest of the winter and haven't touched it since.

Seems to have better balance of power off the line and in curves, on the throttle. Steering feels much better. Still enough AWD traction to get moving easily on snow/ice.

It's nothing groundbreaking (might be with LSD though) but seems a small price to pay to have the car feel how it should have from the factory. You know, like a BMW. Next to address this suspension....

Oh, this is on an E91 328xi.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #41
Rel335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Wish I had this before I sold my 335xi
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:26 AM   #42
TheRed
Registered