E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Yellow Pro-kit upgrade?

07-29-2020, 12:33 AM   #1
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Koni Yellow Pro-kit upgrade?

Hello all,

I've had my Koni Yellows w/ Eibach springs for roughly 9 months thus far...And I can't say I'm in love with the setup. For one thing the ride is harsher than stock and it feels like shifts and changes in the road are very noticeable especially on the front end. To add to that, the body roll while reduced, still isn't as eliminated as I want it to be. I'm looking at both Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers and possibly B16s if they are worth the extra $1000. Most of my driving is spirited highway driving, and no I do not track the car and currently don't intend to.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

What's the ride height with the Eibach springs?

The lower you go the worse the ride gets...

Plus, those springs are soft - which means you won't get the roll resistance and you're riding on the bumps stops at all times.

There are a lot of reviews on these set ups. The Bilstein will give you 'right now' handling at the expense of ride, but overall improves your current situation.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
What's the ride height with the Eibach springs?

The lower you go the worse the ride gets...

Plus, those springs are soft - which means you won't get the roll resistance and you're riding on the bumps stops at all times.

There are a lot of reviews on these set ups. The Bilstein will give you 'right now' handling at the expense of ride, but overall improves your current situation.
They aren’t very aggressive at all in terms of drop, just enough to eliminate the wheel arch. I’ll see if I can post a picture when I get home. Would you say Bilstein b12s could be considered?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I've had this setup for almost 5 years and I've never heard anyone say they're too harsh. The best part about this kit is that there was an improvement in ride quality while still being sporty enough to be an improvement over stock. I've daily'd them for years and tracked them plenty of times that I'm a little shocked to hear your review of them. If harshness is something you want to eliminate going with the other setups you're talking about will not be recommended.
Appreciate 1
tlow982179.00
      08-01-2020, 01:44 AM   #5
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
I've had this setup for almost 5 years and I've never heard anyone say they're too harsh. The best part about this kit is that there was an improvement in ride quality while still being sporty enough to be an improvement over stock. I've daily'd them for years and tracked them plenty of times that I'm a little shocked to hear your review of them. If harshness is something you want to eliminate going with the other setups you're talking about will not be recommended.
Unfortunately yeah, perhaps I have them set to stiff of a setting? Either way I also run an aggresive tire setup and would like to eliminate some rubbing in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 330i and 335i both use the same Eibach front springs?

I bet you a cup of tea at my place, the reason thor's ride is garbage is because the weight of his 35i vs volasko's 30i is compressing the suspension far enough that the initial linear portion of 'auxiliary spring' (bump stop) travel is already consumed, and the car is riding on the hugely progressive bump stop. This reduced bump travel would explain how one feels it's perfectly good, and the other it's garbage.

Thor, when the car rolls during cornering, do you also feel like the inside front of the car lifts, rather than just pure roll (outside compresses as the inside rises)?
Appreciate 1
Volasko703.50
      08-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #7
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thormessiah View Post
Hello all,

I've had my Koni Yellows w/ Eibach springs for roughly 9 months thus far...And I can't say I'm in love with the setup. For one thing the ride is harsher than stock and it feels like shifts and changes in the road are very noticeable especially on the front end. To add to that, the body roll while reduced, still isn't as eliminated as I want it to be. I'm looking at both Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers and possibly B16s if they are worth the extra $1000. Most of my driving is spirited highway driving, and no I do not track the car and currently don't intend to.

Well, much depends on spring rates and damper settings. If dampers & springs are mis-matched, guna be a problem.

Whatcha got? If you have the data, talk to Jay at Ground Control about resolution. Talk to him even if you don't.

Also, -2.5° camber all around will, suddenly, put a grin on yer mug you'll find hard to erase....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:33 AM   #8
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 330i and 335i both use the same Eibach front springs?

I bet you a cup of tea at my place, the reason thor's ride is garbage is because the weight of his 35i vs volasko's 30i is compressing the suspension far enough that the initial linear portion of 'auxiliary spring' (bump stop) travel is already consumed, and the car is riding on the hugely progressive bump stop. This reduced bump travel would explain how one feels it's perfectly good, and the other it's garbage.

Thor, when the car rolls during cornering, do you also feel like the inside front of the car lifts, rather than just pure roll (outside compresses as the inside rises)?
These are the bumpstops I purchased to install the Koni kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...kit-e9xrsmkit1
I would have to check more closely at the body roll to verify.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:35 AM   #9
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well, much depends on spring rates and damper settings. If dampers & springs are mis-matched, guna be a problem.

Whatcha got? If you have the data, talk to Jay at Ground Control about resolution. Talk to him even if you don't.

Also, -2.5° camber all around will, suddenly, put a grin on yer mug you'll find hard to erase....
I don't have the spring rate info, but the springs came with the kit so I would assume they are attuned to each other in some way. As for the camber, what camber plates would you recommend? I'm running 245s in the front and I'm rubbing at the fender lines.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #10
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Talking

Quote:
These are the bumpstops I purchased to install the Koni kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...kit-e9xrsmkit1
I would have to check more closely at the body roll to verify.
That's just the rear bump stop, and it's just an OE replacement febi part. I doubt that it's the rear that's the main source of your troubles, but I could be wrong. Still, the chances are that a different bump stop there would help (Z4M part, I think is often recommended).

If you also used an OE spec front bump stop, then it will be too long for your current ride height (suspension position) - the e36 m3 part is generally the one to go for. From what I've seen of bump stop rates and lengths, you'll be riding at about 15mm into the front bump stop currently, and the soft linear portion of its travel probably ends after about 20-25mm
...so you've only got about 10mm of bump travel before the total effective spring rate really starts ramping up at the front.

You can probably help your ride comfort by running less damping on the shocks/struts, but this will give you a less responsive ride and more vague/floaty feeling, to some extent.

I should add that shortening/softening the bump stops will probably not help to reduce body roll.

Also, do double check what your bump stops are doing at your ride height before throwing parts at it.

Spring and shock manufacturers seem to love suggesting that their products are one-size-fits-all, but the truth is far from that.

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 08-10-2020 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Those are the rear, what about the front? As someone mentioned above, the soft spring rates might have you sitting on the bumpstops, especially in the front, if you're still using stock length bumpstops.

Quote:
I don't have the spring rate info, but the springs came with the kit so I would assume they are attuned to each other in some way. As for the camber, what camber plates would you recommend? I'm running 245s in the front and I'm rubbing at the fender lines.
Spring rates are same as stock, if not softer...which is exactly why Eibachs are a waste on this platform IMO.

You can either try upgrading the springs to a worthy spring rate + run proper bumpstops, or go the Bilstein route. Either will be an improvement from your current setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's just the rear bump stop, and it's just an OE replacement febi part. I doubt that it's the rear that's the main source of your troubles, but I could be wrong. Still, the chances are that a different bump stop there would help (Z4M part, I think is often recommended).

If you also used an OE spec front bump stop, then it will be too long for your current ride height (suspension position) - the e36 m3 part is generally the one to go for. From what I've seen of bump stop rates and lengths, you'll be riding at about 15mm into the front bump stop currently, and the soft linear portion of its travel probably ends after about 20-25mm
...so you've only got about 10mm of bump travel before the total effective spring rate really starts ramping up at the front.

You can probably help your ride comfort by running less damping on the shocks/struts, but this will give you a less responsive ride and more vague/floaty feeling, to some extent.

I should add that shortening/softening the bump stops will probably not help to reduce body roll.

Also, do double check what your bump stops are doing at your ride height before throwing parts at it.

Spring and shock manufacturers seem to love suggesting that their products are one-size-fits-all, but the truth is far from that.
I believe I went the oem route here. I wasn’t aware the bumpstops had to be altered in any way but that could explain the jarring ride up front (no order way to describe it). It’s definitely not comfortable. Out of curiosity how difficult will it be to change them out?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Those are the rear, what about the front? As someone mentioned above, the soft spring rates might have you sitting on the bumpstops, especially in the front, if you're still using stock length bumpstops.

Spring rates are same as stock, if not softer...which is exactly why Eibachs are a waste on this platform IMO.

You can either try upgrading the springs to a worthy spring rate + run proper bumpstops, or go the Bilstein route. Either will be an improvement from your current setup.
Which spring rates would you recommend? I will try swapping out the bump stops first and see if that improves anything to a degree.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #14
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:

Mine came from Ground Control - work very well. Those plates have a good rep.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #15
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I believe I went the oem route here. I wasn’t aware the bumpstops had to be altered in any way but that could explain the jarring ride up front (no order way to describe it). It’s definitely not comfortable. Out of curiosity how difficult will it be to change them out?
According to eibach, I think you're right...but then they aslo recommend the same spring for a massive range of car weights, so.........

Front ones you need to remove the strut, compress the spring, remove the top mount, then you can replace them. Make sure you get all the washers in the right order when you reassemble.

Rears I think you just need to undo the top shock mount and jack up the car...maybe you need to take the lower shock mount out too, I don't know exactly.

Plenty of diys around if you have a search.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2020, 12:12 AM   #16
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
According to eibach, I think you're right...but then they aslo recommend the same spring for a massive range of car weights, so.........

Front ones you need to remove the strut, compress the spring, remove the top mount, then you can replace them. Make sure you get all the washers in the right order when you reassemble.

Rears I think you just need to undo the top shock mount and jack up the car...maybe you need to take the lower shock mount out too, I don't know exactly.

Plenty of diys around if you have a search.
Just wanted to verify that these are the correct parts:

E36 m3 bumpstops
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-31332225377

Z4m rear bumpstops:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ar-33507836826
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #17
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

That should be 3353 6770 350 for the rear, as per this post:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=26

Just a thought: you could try cutting ~20mm off your current ones first, just as a free way to validate the theory. OK, it's not a permanent solution and you would still need to replace them, but it means you can try out the idea for free. If it doesn't help at all you can just replace with stock parts. I'd cut the top off them, personally. Note that it might leave your front dust boots with nothing to mount to. YMMV. Be careful not to scratch the strut shaft anyhow!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:59 AM   #18
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
That should be 3353 6770 350 for the rear, as per this post:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=26

Just a thought: you could try cutting ~20mm off your current ones first, just as a free way to validate the theory. OK, it's not a permanent solution and you would still need to replace them, but it means you can try out the idea for free. If it doesn't help at all you can just replace with stock parts. I'd cut the top off them, personally. Note that it might leave your front dust boots with nothing to mount to. YMMV. Be careful not to scratch the strut shaft anyhow!
Seeing as they're not terribly expensive, I'd rather just buy them rather than experiment on the ones on the car lol...I'll see if there is any improvement and update my post when I do.
Appreciate 0