E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reset the Front Sensor which also caused back sensor to show ----?

08-11-2020, 04:51 AM   #1
ancient
Rep
Drives: e93

Reset the Front Sensor which also caused back sensor to show ----?

Hey Guys

So my scenario is, a friend has completed a oil change, and I am due to take the car back to him in a few days to have the front brake discs and pads changed.
In my lack of wisdom, I thought I would reset all the warnings for the brakes now as they will be done imminently.
So the oil change and brake fluid reset all ok, however once I reset the front pads I got the ---- and car on ramp, I now know this is expected unless a new sensor is installed, however when I checked the rear ones that also had ---- ....I then mistakenly reset the rear one too, which is not worn.
My questions:
Why did a rest on the front end up changing the rear to ---- ?
Once the new sensor in the front is replaced and I do another reset, will the rear one also then give the correct mileage?
Or will I need to do the splice and join wire / replace sensor on the rear?

Appreciate any info.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

In my experience with this mistake, you have to replace any brake sensor that reads dashes. However, since you reset them individually, it should not affect the other sensor. At least it did not for me. I've reset them through ISTA-D, Carly and using the stalk.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17199.00
      09-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

It was a lack of understanding how the brake pad monitoring system works on the E90. You confused the computer.

The front and rear brake pad wear systems are independent from each other. Was the car showing a tripped pad sensor for the front brakes? Meaning the red "brake" symbol was constantly showing and the red-car-on-lift would come on when the engine is started or turned off?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-06-2020 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0