E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Speed sensor code DSC and Brake Lights

08-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
jericho_17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Speed sensor code DSC and Brake Lights

I just would like to share my experience for someone who could have this issue in the future.

So last afternoon I got to home from work and when I brake and turn to park the following lights came on the screen: DSC light(triangle), brake light and TPMS light in orange.

Connected the Carly and received the codes 005E43 and 0094B5. The codes indicated that the speed sensor back right had signal lost, and the other one indicated the steering angle sensor.

Tried cleaning the speed sensor as a first option, and when I removed i was pretty dirty, cleaned it and when I moved the car inmediatly turned the lights on the dash of. After 300 miles the lights didn't come back on. So if you have this problem with these sensors alwas try first cleaning them prior considering an exchange.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So the sensors really don't work like that. Dirt on the outside of the sensor body shouldn't effect the operation of it unless the "dirt" has a lot of iron particles. The sensor is hermetically sealed, so dirt shouldn't effect its operation. However if the genetic seal breaks and the inside of the sensor gets wet, it will effect the operation of the sensor and not transmit speed signals properly.

I think what happened is the right rear sensor has lost its water tightness and is getting moisture in it, which causes a fault. I think what happened is the sensor dried out by the time you cleaned it of the dirt. I'd expect you'll see the fault reappear in the next instance there is a lot of moisture around your car, like the next rain storm.

Keep an eye out for it. What model car do you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
jericho_17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

That is a nice technical explanation. The error hasn't return and there has been a couple of heavy storms, however for the price of the sensor I ordered a replacement and if the error return I will replace it.

Mine is 2006 330i

Thanks
Appreciate 0