E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > (N54) How are you guys getting new fuel injectors

04-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

(N54) How are you guys getting new fuel injectors

...and how do I get in on some of this action?

Took my car in to the dealership today for the battery cable recall, it's a 2009 335i/6MT coupe, a hair over 78K miles. While I was there I asked them to look at the following issues:

1) when I replaced the spark plugs #6 came out wet with fuel. No codes.
2) Rattle from exhaust flap on startup
3) When RDS enabled on radio station names are cryptic
4) Faint wheel speed related squeak from driver's side that I literally just noticed yesterday while driving with windows down.
5) Change the oil, it's about halfway between intervals, so in my mind I feel better having it done.

In reverse order, I was told:

5) done
4) should go away when brakes are replaced which will be due vaguely soon
3) nothing, apparently no fix
2) recommended driver's side muffler replacement, I declined repair, told SA that if I was going to replace the muffler I was going to go with PE or similar (I didn't tell him that I have a buddy with a muffler shop so I can do it myself there too, I was really just asking in case there was a reasonably priced repair kit etc.)
1) recommended replacing #6 fuel injector at a cost of about $1100 or all six for roughly $3K.

Now the last is of some concern to me because from reading here I recall that the currently sold fuel injectors are not supposed to be mixed and matched with the originals, so I really should replace all six. I'm also recalling that some posters have been able to get injectors replaced free or partially reimbursed post-warranty. Would definitely like more details on this, if there's a TSB, etc.

If it makes any difference, I am NOT the original owner.

If I can't get this done with some money back from BMW I will probably be calling Dan over at Mach V as I can't imagine he would charge me nearly as much as the dealership!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Forgot to add, it seems like BMW of Sterling gets a bad rap because they're really not a "car guy" dealership but I'm starting to warm up to them, even if their prices are high - a) they said absolutely nothing about my VRSF intercooler b) I got a big smile and a thumbs up from one of the lot guys and c) the SA actually upsold me on something useful, not the usual BS. He suggested a power steering fluid service and I told him to go ahead and do it because it showed that they were actually checking everything on the car like I asked them to - and they picked the one and only fluid that I haven't already replaced on the car. Plus it's that Pentosin stuff that none of the parts stores seem to stock so what the heck. So now my car has all shiny new fluids within the past 10K miles and if I can just get this injector thing resolved and figure out a cost effective repair for the damn exhaust flap bushings (or just give up and go with a replacement exhaust) with a good detail it could pass for a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

1100 for an injector?
Wow. That's about 30 minutes and ~$300 part
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah prices are crazy, I don't think I'd ever have them do anything but an oil change. There are apparently plenty of people who pay though.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
1100 for an injector?
Wow. That's about 30 minutes and ~$300 part
Perhaps the car needs to be hooked up to the GT1 and programmed to accept the new injectors?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Perhaps the car needs to be hooked up to the GT1 and programmed to accept the new injectors?
It does, that takes maybe 5 minutes.
Wish you lived closer. I've helped out a few 335's in my area with simple stuff like this that the dealer robs everyone else on.

I'm sure their markup on the part is insane, but curious what they try to pull for labor hours on that.

And there was a TSB, but only for an older series of injectors. I don't recall the part numbers off the top of my head. If you already had the newer series then it wouldn't apply.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469056

Last edited by Rotorocious; 04-17-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wish you were closer too! Seriously it is nice to have a dealership 5 minutes up the street but good lord I never go there unless like now there's a recall, or I need an oil change (their prices on that actually aren't too bad) but for everything else I've ever bought there their prices just for the parts are more expensive than "list" if you look up pricing from any other dealership online and their labor rates are staggering. Now it is a swanky new building and they treat you well, but even so, I just can't see spending that kind of coin for stuff for which I can pay other professional competent people less.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N
I wish you were closer too! Seriously it is nice to have a dealership 5 minutes up the street but good lord I never go there unless like now there's a recall, or I need an oil change (their prices on that actually aren't too bad) but for everything else I've ever bought there their prices just for the parts are more expensive than "list" if you look up pricing from any other dealership online and their labor rates are staggering. Now it is a swanky new building and they treat you well, but even so, I just can't see spending that kind of coin for stuff for which I can pay other professional competent people less.
Just keep an eye on them. My experiences with BMW "certified" techs are bad. The ones I've had to deal with are incompetent and sometimes skip required parts like gaskets and seals.
More than once they did not put on the gasket for the Injector
Appreciate 0