E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LED Interior Lights

12-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i xDrive

LED Interior Lights

Has anyone changes their interior lights to a white LED? The stock lights are all yellow, and honestly look quote dull. Not sure why the car doesn't come stock with LED.

Anyways, came across this seller: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Error-Free-Wh...3f600c&vxp=mtr

has anyone purchased this/have any tips? I have a 2012 e92 xdrive... will those bulbs included cover all the lights in the car?

EDIT: there is also this, which has 10 LEDs (as opposed to 14): http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10x-LED-Light...3c3b35&vxp=mtr

Whats missing from there? I want to change ALL the lights (including flootwell, trunk, etc.)
2012 e92 335i xDrive | Purchased Sept. 27/14 @ 46000km | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Carbon Fibre Aluminum Trim | M-Sport Package | Executive Package | Connected Technology Package | M-Sport Rims w/ RFT | CPO Warranty until April 2018/160k

Follow me on Instagram for daily pics! @nick.335i
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
xXSupa
IG @F30_MPE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i MPE

Neither of those will cover all that you need. The coupe actually needs 18 LEDs. The Sedan only needs 14 because it doesn't have the rear footwell lights.

You can buy the set of 14 from the first link, then buy 4 T5 LEDs seperately.

I got my T5 LEDs from here:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-White-T5-3...f21930&vxp=mtr

2018 F30 340i | M Performance Edition
Alpine White | Individual Black Merino Leather

Last edited by xXSupa; 12-14-2014 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Don't fuck around with cheap mix and match eBay stuff and the like- just go with highperformancebulbs.com.

There they have everything you need in one beautiful package.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post
Neither of those will cover all that you need. The coupe actually needs 18 LEDs. The Sedan only needs 14 because it doesn't have the rear footwell lights.

You can buy the set of 14 from the first link, then buy 4 T5 LEDs seperately.

I got my T5 LEDs from here:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-White-T5-3...f21930&vxp=mtr
Thanks! Will take a look at that. Are all the bulbs the same side/fitment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Don't fuck around with cheap mix and match eBay stuff and the like- just go with highperformancebulbs.com.

Total price comes up to $71.74USD for that website... they are just LED's, what makes these much better?
2012 e92 335i xDrive | Purchased Sept. 27/14 @ 46000km | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Carbon Fibre Aluminum Trim | M-Sport Package | Executive Package | Connected Technology Package | M-Sport Rims w/ RFT | CPO Warranty until April 2018/160k

Follow me on Instagram for daily pics! @nick.335i
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon12 View Post

Total price comes up to $71.74USD for that website... they are just LED's, what makes these much better?
HPB has two kits, which we offer too, the Factory output and max output. The max output by no accident is the brightest option utilizing high powered dome lights with CAD designed built in 24 LED modules. The map lights feature an angled design allowing for better distribution of light over a universal LED of the same bulb. Lastly, every other aspect of the kit between the footwell lights and other areas has been designed to offer a maximum output and even spread of light. They are also a true white LED whereas many other kits might have strong blue hues or yellow hues. You can certainly peace together a cheaper kit but it won't be as bright and the quality might not be there either.

Many folks find when they buy on ebay and try to peace it together they run into a bunch of problems, fitment issues, yellow hues, blue hues, quality issues, DOA (dead on arrival), not maximizing output with the incorrect choice of LED's, to name a few. All kits that leave HPB are maximized for output and efficiency and tested before they leave. To save you the hassle of buying on ebay and trying to save a few dollars we now offer the factory output kit for people on a budget who just want to switch to a white led and maintain factory brightness. The cost is nearly half for the factory output option.

The HPB LED Interior kit has been voted E90's best led interior kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-14-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
xXSupa
IG @F30_MPE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon12 View Post
Yup! That one will fit all 4.

For sites like HPB, remember that we, in Canada have to pay a crazy amount for shipping, and possibly duty/taxes.
LEDs are LEDs, there isn't that much of a difference between what automotive stores offer, and what eBay sells. Most of it comes from the same manufacturers to begin with. Though I highly doubt that this will happen, if you do get a blue/yellow hue with the LEDs, just complain, and ask for your money back. You'll get 100% back because they advertised it as White in their listing.

Edit: Looking at TGS's site, it doesn't even offer shipping to Canada. My point exactly...

2018 F30 340i | M Performance Edition
Alpine White | Individual Black Merino Leather

Last edited by xXSupa; 12-14-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
Joey93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

I bought from these people. They sent me an email to make sure of the year make model before shipping. Got ALL my interior bulbs including the glove box and visor. Bulbs are nice and bright

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191072485445...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Search. This has been done a million times.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup! That one will fit all 4.

For sites like HPB, remember that we, in Canada have to pay a crazy amount for shipping, and possibly duty/taxes.
LEDs are LEDs, there isn't that much of a difference between what automotive stores offer, and what eBay sells. Most of it comes from the same manufacturers to begin with. Though I highly doubt that this will happen, if you do get a blue/yellow hue with the LEDs, just complain, and ask for your money back. You'll get 100% back because they advertised it as White in their listing.

Edit: Looking at TGS's site, it doesn't even offer shipping to Canada. My point exactly...
Please don't spread false rumors. We offer shipping to Canada. I prefer to not defend the countless attempts for people to say "all led's are the same". When you guys make the mistakes on buying the wrong led's of either inferior quality, ill fitment, or poor performance, we'll be here to say we told you so. I've been tweaking this car since late 2008, including many many many LED's in the interior and exterior of this platform. I dont think anyone else ha re-installed, re-fitted and tested as many LED's as I have to put together this interior kit for you guys. The last few guys that bought on Ebay and made threads had several LED's burn out within seconds and the other guy had a laughable interior as all is LED's had a hue of blue with minimal output. It looked quite tacky but I digress.

The duties and fees are negligible if not very minimal on items under $100 to Canada, especially shipped USPS where many times they don't charge any duties.

Canada shipping is typically around ~$25 USD give or take a few dollars.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-15-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

This thread comes to mind when people refer Ebay: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921265

By no accident he ended up buying our kit 2 months later after he had given up.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=168

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=713322&page=8

People get too focused on price. I can make you guys a $10 interior LED interior kit but I wouldn't sell it on my site as I wouldn't want my name on it. Know what you're paying for.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Jeff, are yours absolutely pure white? I had a 6000K led kit (not yours) on my E46 and it made the red seats look kinda purple with the light output. I've been hesitant to change the ones in my E92 because I only want pure 4300/5000K white and no blue hues whatsoever. Nor do I want it to be blindingly bright...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Jeff, are yours absolutely pure white? I had a 6000K led kit (not yours) on my E46 and it made the red seats look kinda purple with the light output. I've been hesitant to change the ones in my E92 because I only want pure 4300/5000K white and no blue hues whatsoever. Nor do I want it to be blindingly bright...
They are pure white. I utilize the same LED's in all my cars and I refuse to have blue hues or yellow hues in my cars, I despise it personally. Here's my z06 with HPB LED interior kit:

The pictures on my site of the BMW with black interior kit are my E92.

That alone is why I had too test so many LED's to make the proper kit for HPB. The next part was maximizing output with the max output kit and also maximizing the spread of light as some LED's portray light different then others, focused VS flood. Over the years as LED technology increased we changed the kit, including adding the 24 dome light module or 12 led panel. The 12 led dome light panel has heat resistant coating. I also briefly mentioned the angled map lights as you will notice your map lights aren't in direct line of site of the housing.

If brightness isn't a concern then the factory output is right for you but more times then not most people find the max output kit very tolerable, the max output kit was the original HPB LED interior kit. It was only in the past year or so we developed a factory output option to enter a different price bracket and to offer something to those concerned about being too bright. I personally always want the brightest lighting option available in my own cars but I can understand people wanting a more stock refined look with a white led too, which is the factory output. The factory output kit doesn't come with a 12 led or 24 led dome light panel or the upgraded map lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have had the factory output interior kit from Jeff in my car for about a year and have been very happy with it. They are pure white, the kit came with all bulbs and I have had no issue with the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
xXSupa
IG @F30_MPE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Please don't spread false rumors. We offer shipping to Canada. I prefer to not defend the countless attempts for people to say "all led's are the same". When you guys make the mistakes on buying the wrong led's of either inferior quality, ill fitment, or poor performance, we'll be here to say we told you so. I've been tweaking this car since late 2008, including many many many LED's in the interior and exterior of this platform. I dont think anyone else ha re-installed, re-fitted and tested as many LED's as I have to put together this interior kit for you guys. The last few guys that bought on Ebay and made threads had several LED's burn out within seconds and the other guy had a laughable interior as all is LED's had a hue of blue with minimal output. It looked quite tacky but I digress.

The duties and fees are negligible if not very minimal on items under $100 to Canada, especially shipped USPS where many times they don't charge any duties.

Canada shipping is typically around ~$25 USD give or take a few dollars.
I'm not spreading false rumors. I went to the checkout page on your site and it only gives me the option to choose "United States."
Maybe fix your site first before accusing me of spreading rumors?
$25 for the kit shipped to Canada further strengthens my point. The kit itself is only $50 (give or take), paying 50%, of the value on top just for shipping is quite a bit. $75 converted to Canadian dollars is more than $86 at the current exchange rate. I have been charged duty before on items under $100, and I had to pay 20% extra. Though I doubt they'll charge for an USPS package, the risk is still there

I do agree that you guys probably have better quality, custom built LEDs compared to the generic eBay stuff, but at more than 2 times the price... We'll let the OP decide if that's worth it

Last edited by xXSupa; 12-16-2014 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not spreading false rumors. I went to the checkout page on your site and it only gives me the option to choose "United States."
Maybe fix your site first before accusing me of spreading rumors?
$25 for the kit shipped to Canada further strengthens my point. The kit itself is only $50 (give or take), paying 50%, of the value on top just for shipping is quite a bit. $75 converted to Canadian dollars is more than $86 at the current exchange rate. I have been charged duty before on items under $100, and I had to pay 20% extra. Though I doubt they'll charge for an USPS package, the risk is still there

I do agree that you guys probably have better quality, custom built LEDs compared to the generic eBay stuff, but at more than 2 times the price... We'll let the OP decide if that's worth it
Pardon me, but it's clear you have not read our site, checkout page or terms of agreement.

At checkout, it specifically states for international customers (in bold) to email us for quotes, specifically for those residing in Canada or UK. So I don't think anything needs to be fixed on the site just yet. Just because our site direct does not allow you to checkout, does not mean we don't "offer" Canada shipping.

International Email Quotes: This is common on many US based websites because typical shipping carrier systems function on a "weight" system for their quotations and they are typically incorrect, often inflating shipping costs. We prefer real time quotes to save you guys money. If it's at the slight inconvenience of an extra email, so be it, but it could save you guys $10, 20 or even $100+ depending on the packages. I know some websites allow for international orders on the site and those sites purposely inflate their costs to protect them, buyer beware. We used to have international shipping costs on our site years ago and it was more problems for us and the consumer.

Unfortunately, I cannot help the shipping cost or the duties, we don't make a dime on either. My suggestion, specifically in regards to lighting, is to buy more then 1 lighting option to make the shipping cost worth it. We have a means of getting the shipping cost down to about $15 but at the cost of no tracking information and at the cost of potentially delaying the packages arrival by up to 2 weeks.

We have several other lighting upgrades available that many people enjoy together, like an Angel Eye Upgrade and LED interior kit package. We also have reverse lights, front led turn signals and license plate light upgrades, to name a few.

I appreciate the kind words in regards to the LED's.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-16-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Save yourself the headache

Go with TGS or E92-Lighting

I did and never looked back
      12-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi

I actually got a set from Ebay, light output it great. BUT I do have that problem where the front dome light sometimes doesn't turn on when the car is running. But when I take the fob out it turns on like nothing. Weird. I just never took the time to address it. I'm gonna have to at some point tho b/c is really is annoying.
Go with the right stuff the first time bro!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynTico506 View Post
I actually got a set from Ebay, light output it great. BUT I do have that problem where the front dome light sometimes doesn't turn on when the car is running. But when I take the fob out it turns on like nothing. Weird. I just never took the time to address it. I'm gonna have to at some point tho b/c is really is annoying.
Go with the right stuff the first time bro!
LED arent drawing enough voltage/amperage so your canbus system shuts off that circuit. Thats why you need a kit with built in resistors.

TGS or E92-Lighting FTW!!
      12-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Here's my "standard brightness" bulbs from highperformancebulbs. Happy with them.

Through my 35% tint

Doors open

12-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335

I'm in Toronto and have ordered the HPB kit from Jeff. Definitely worth it and didn't get hit with any duties, nevermind large duties. Very happy with the purchase and I also quickly looked at ebay options and reviews before purchasing this kit. Ebay was riddled with quality issues, less LED's for the map lights, less brightness as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #21
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish
Here's my "standard brightness" bulbs from highperformancebulbs. Happy with them.

Through my 35% tint

Doors open

Thanks for the post! That definitely helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #22
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Jeff your standard High powered conversion kit provides to replace all interior lights, I don't understand The dome light option and option 1,2 and 3. I am all about quality and will be purchasing from your site.
Appreciate 0