E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > M3 Rear Sway Bar Swap - Opinions/Difficulty

05-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
Christian_E90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 335Xi 6MT

M3 Rear Sway Bar Swap - Opinions/Difficulty

Okay guys, so I am sure that this topic has been covered somewhere in the past, but I figured that I would make my own post for people that are unsure of what their next mod should be.

If you are on the fence about getting a rear sway bar for your E9x, GET ONE! It gives the car a much more responsive and planted feeling when going through corners (especially tight low speed turns). For under $100, it is probably one of the best mods you can do for cheap!

Ever since I got my 335Xi, I always thought that the handling was just "meh" . It always felt a little sloppy and just not as tight as I expected. I was recommended by a friend from UUC to get the front and rear sway bars, but for the price tag, I figured that i would hold off on that for now. However, I saw on many forums that the M3 Rear Sway bar is a direct swap on the 335i AND Xi (only the rears are interchangeable). I ended up getting a used Rear Sway Bar with factory bushings/mounts for $88 shipped.

The install was decently difficult, but not impossible. But before I start, I HIGHLY recommend having another person to help when maneuvering the bars in and out of the tight area they sit in. I started by breaking loose all of the nicely corroded External Torx subframe bolts while supporting it with a jack. I used a 14mm 12-point socket, but I would not recommend it. After I loosened the subframe bolts, I attempted to remove the V-Brace but the bolts just spun, so I managed to do it without removing the v brace. After the subframe is lowered, it is pretty straight-forward as far as removing the sway bar. Have some patience when pulling out the original sway bar, and prepare to have even more patience when installing the M3 one. All in all it took me about 4 hours but I think it was definitely worth it. My 335xi feels more like a proper BMW should now.

Thanks Guys!