E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Should I graduate college early?

01-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #23
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

No, because no.

Joining a fraternity at Penn State was the best decision I made in 4 years, along with changing major. I attribute my career success so far to the social and organizational skills I learned from living in a frat.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #24
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

I didn't read through other post, but you should be networking and taking on internships from day one of college... If getting out of college early was an option for me; I would have since I don't have a problem making money and my school is extremely boring. So stay in if you have nothing prepared...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

... Graduate as early as possible. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't pay for college or doesn't understand how much money $22,000.00 is. Not to mention, the job market will not be any better a year later. It is what it is for now. The extra year will give you a jump start on your job hunt and instead of being in school you can intern while you apply for jobs.
      01-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
fattychalupa
Rep
Drives: 1996 Lexus ES

Just remembered that I made this thread- thank you for the advice everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
... Graduate as early as possible. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't pay for college or doesn't understand how much money $22,000.00 is. Not to mention, the job market will not be any better a year later. It is what it is for now. The extra year will give you a jump start on your job hunt and instead of being in school you can intern while you apply for jobs.
+1, you are the only one that used his head in most of this thread...
      01-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Also, if you're going to an awesome school (PSU) you won't even want to leave after 4 years. Or if you're doing a worthwhile major (CS/Engineering/IT/sciences), it's a 4 year curriculum that you would have to be a genius to graduate early.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
everyone paying a student loan knows the answer to this...get the hell outta there!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #30
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

unless you are doing co-op while studying, the sooner you are out the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattychalupa View Post
Well this is quite a random place to post this question, but I think there are a lot of members here who could chime in with some really good advice.

So as of now I'm a freshman majoring in business up at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I love it here, but I'm thinking of whether or not I should graduate a year early, due to my amount of AP credits I took in high school. An older sibling is advising me against it saying that the job market is still basically terrible right now, but I honestly don't know which path to choose. I've always been the kind of person who likes to get ahead and start things early, which is why I originally wanted to graduate sooner but I don't want to do so if there's no actual benefit in the end.

If I try to graduate early I will admit I'll have a full schedule (4-5 classes/quarter) but the fact I'd be saving so much money is a big deciding factor. Yet, if I do stay the whole time I would potentially minor in either photography (just because I love it) or Industrial Technology (because it would actually be useful). So what would you guys recommend?

Pros:
-more time to build relationships, get internships, network, and make connections
-I can take less classes (3) per quarter and potentially get better grades
-More free time for extracurriculars and part time jobs.
-Have time to do a minor (although this bumps my schedule to 4 classes/quarter)

Cons:
-another year of expenses/tuition/etc, ~$22,000 almost (this is a big factor for me)
-missing out on a head start on job hunting

P.S. Any thoughts on joining a co-ed business fraternity vs a regular social one?