E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Daily Driver Review: Performance Power Kit S1 - N55 335i

05-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #111
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noncom23 View Post
Thanks. Car was there all day, so I have
no idea how long they took with it.
The exhaust is lower, meaner and I can
hear it more so in the cabin now.
Price was $675.00 plus $ 199.00
install at Classic in Dallas.
One thing I don't get is how can the
exhaust sound change with no
exhaust mod. Must be lope, stroke
changes??? Call me stupid!
I believe the turbo itself has something to do with it, but the biggest factor in the change is that they disconnect the valve which is normally closed during lower RPMs--I'm not sure what it's called, but it's the same valve which you can alter with the "golf tee mod." If you look that up, you'll know what it is. On a stock 335i N55, you'll notice that your right-side exhaust tip is always slightly dirtier due to it being the only one working in the lower RPMs. Once they change it, both work all the time, hence the deeper exhaust sound.
      05-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #112
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Did anybody consider Dinan? I believe its available for the N55.

Former car: 2007 335i JB3

There are reasons for getting one over the other, but you'll have to remember that there are some tricks with Dinan warranty as well as the fact that it decreases your fuel econ. The difference is that the PPK is more of conservative mod, and plus, Dinan stuff is far overpriced.
      05-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #113
adrock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [9.58]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Just had the PPK 1 installed, it was the only way they would give me the newer firmware. The car should feel like this from the factory IMHO. It definitely feels quicker, but no where near as quick as Procede. The exhaust burble is nice, but I keep thinking it has stalled upon startup.. it sooooo quiet now (at startup), even with Remus Race.
      05-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #114
thetrance
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I did my 0-60 runs with my gtech. couldnt get anything better than 5.5 seconds...embarassing.
I also got a DSC/AWD malfunction light in the middle of my last run :S any ideas?
I also did a run with a 08-10 evo from 30km/h roll to 150 and we were dead even.. he looked stock
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #115
SD335M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M, E90 LeMans Blue.

Garage List
2011 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrance
I did my 0-60 runs with my gtech. couldnt get anything better than 5.5 seconds...embarassing.
I also got a DSC/AWD malfunction light in the middle of my last run :S any ideas?
I also did a run with a 08-10 evo from 30km/h roll to 150 and we were dead even.. he looked stock
I've done a few runs but only using pocketdyno on iPhone app. Varied from 5.19 and best of 4.78. This was last year in Dec. like 2 months after getting ppk1. I want to do another run but just run it in automatic, no paddle shifting. It feels really peppy in just DS mode. I can honestly say it feels stronger now 7 months later.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #116
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
I believe the turbo itself has something to do with it, but the biggest factor in the change is that they disconnect the valve which is normally closed during lower RPMs--I'm not sure what it's called, but it's the same valve which you can alter with the "golf tee mod." If you look that up, you'll know what it is. On a stock 335i N55, you'll notice that your right-side exhaust tip is always slightly dirtier due to it being the only one working in the lower RPMs. Once they change it, both work all the time, hence the deeper exhaust sound.
Great response. I get that. Makes
sense. Day 3 and still happy!
      05-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #117
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Quote:
There are reasons for getting one over the other, but you'll have to remember that there are some tricks with Dinan warranty as well as the fact that it decreases your fuel econ. The difference is that the PPK is more of conservative mod, and plus, Dinan stuff is far overpriced.
Thanks, I have read the other threads and came away a little confused. I may be getting a N55 135i later this year and there is a Dinan dealer near me. The consensus is that Dinan is overpriced for the power which makes the ppk attractive. Initially, I saw the Dinan power claims and they sounded impressive, but the dyno readings are underwhelming.

Considering that I had a JB3 on my 2007 335i, I know I am going to be down in power either with Dinan or ppk. I looked at the JB4, but the installation looks a little tougher than with the JB3 and of course you have potential warranty issues.

My timeframe is October, so I will just keep my options open at this point.

Thanks for the advice,

Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #118
Biohazard29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe 6sp

I just purchases a 2011 335i coupe and looking at active autowerks reflash. Anyone have any experience with this one. My local shop PSI is a major distributor for them and my father has two cars with their tune and I was impressed. 2010 328i sport wagon and 2011 M3 competition package with akrapovic exhaust.

Just wanted feed back on how they are doing with the N55

2011/335i Msport/ 6sp Manual/ K&N filter/ Akrapovic Evo Exhaust System/ FORGE FMIC/ Cobb Stage 1 + FMIC
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #119
thetrance
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Well, just because they were coding the ECU doesn't mean they actually installed anything--My ECU was completely coded before they figured they ordered the wrong code by mistaking the VIN, so I had to leave the car for a few days for the new code to come and be installed. Regardless of what not, you should feel the performance increase. 20 horses and 32 torques is a lot. However, that's also subjective, I guess. I personally feel it faster everywhere. I drive the some roads every day and see how the car powers with greater ease on the same old turns.

I gotta say thanks to you.. I took the car in and apparently they didnt do the ecu flash properly! all they did was the exhaust
booked an appointment on tuesday to have the job re done
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #120
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard29 View Post
I just purchases a 2011 335i coupe and looking at active autowerks reflash. Anyone have any experience with this one. My local shop PSI is a major distributor for them and my father has two cars with their tune and I was impressed. 2010 328i sport wagon and 2011 M3 competition package with akrapovic exhaust.

Just wanted feed back on how they are doing with the N55

I've never seen anyone with that one, but if your dad has two cars with it, there you will find your closest bet on experience. If they're running good on his cars, chances are they will do the same for N55. There's really not much difference from N54 and N55, so you don't have much to worry about. But since you're running a newer car, remember that anything but PPK and Dinan will likely result with warranty issues.
      05-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #121
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrance View Post
I gotta say thanks to you.. I took the car in and apparently they didnt do the ecu flash properly! all they did was the exhaust
booked an appointment on tuesday to have the job re done
WOW, seriously?! Well, there you go, man! You will be totally happy when you actually get the real thing, lol. Glad it worked out that way. This threat has brought some good into the world.
      05-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #122
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Thanks, I have read the other threads and came away a little confused. I may be getting a N55 135i later this year and there is a Dinan dealer near me. The consensus is that Dinan is overpriced for the power which makes the ppk attractive. Initially, I saw the Dinan power claims and they sounded impressive, but the dyno readings are underwhelming.

Considering that I had a JB3 on my 2007 335i, I know I am going to be down in power either with Dinan or ppk. I looked at the JB4, but the installation looks a little tougher than with the JB3 and of course you have potential warranty issues.

My timeframe is October, so I will just keep my options open at this point.

Thanks for the advice,

Dave

Dinan and PPK will not be the most powerful horse-gains out there, that's a fact. The reason you'd go with one or the either over something like JB is because your warranty will not be affected, while still gaining A LOT of power. This is why Dinan is as expensive as it is--they make it within the warranty. Dinan is pretty cool with BMW and there are dealers who will not mind a bit of it, so your best bet is to go to both places near you and see how the dealer will react. That is only if you care about the warranty. If not, go with JB. That's the way I personally see it.
      05-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #123
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Still about the warranty

Quote:
Dinan and PPK will not be the most powerful horse-gains out there, that's a fact. The reason you'd go with one or the either over something like JB is because your warranty will not be affected, while still gaining A LOT of power. This is why Dinan is as expensive as it is--they make it within the warranty. Dinan is pretty cool with BMW and there are dealers who will not mind a bit of it, so your best bet is to go to both places near you and see how the dealer will react. That is only if you care about the warranty. If not, go with JB. That's the way I personally see it.
After reading a lot of posts on this forum and talking to a Dinan rep there is no way that I can conclude that use of the Dinan kit lets one keep the BMW warranty. My understanding is that installation of the Dinan parts voids that part of the BMW warranty and that Dinan provides another warranty that steps in and fills the part of the BMW warranty that is voided. My thinking is that one of the reasons why the Dinan kit is SO expensive is that it costs Dinan money to offer the warranty. They are either paying a 3rd party to administer the warranty or they are directly paying out some claims from users that require warranty service.

I am still unsure what happens when one needs service and the Dinan dealer is inconvenient, ie what would happen if my HPFP died and I limped int the nearest BMW dealer, which is not signed up with Dinan. Do I wait for Dinan to send out the parts, flatbed the car 150 miles to a Dinan dealer, or what. And who picks up the loaner. Many questions still abound after talking to Dinan.

And I still did not get any answer from Dinan that makes any sense about why the dyno gains on the N55 kit do not come close to their own claims.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #124
NeoItaly1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i-Titanium Silver

Doing the PPK1 next week. It's all I need. Plus keeps warranty with BMW with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #125
WhiteonWheat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (AW e90 LCI)

Question

Here's my biggest question - if I get the PPK1 (software / no hardware), what if I install my ETS intercooler AFTER and my ER Charge Pipe, ETS Exhaust, etc...what would that do to the PPK1 mapping? Will it adapt and "work with" the gains from hardware additions, or what?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #126
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

It will not "adapt" to your hardware because it doesn't recognize it! You will gaine some performance but to "fully" use it, you will have to have the right software...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #127
WhiteonWheat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (AW e90 LCI)

Thumbs up

^ Thanks for letting me know that. I'll def go with JB or something that will "include" the hardware improvements I've made and "fully realize" them.

Thanks man!
-WoW
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #128
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz06 View Post
After reading a lot of posts on this forum and talking to a Dinan rep there is no way that I can conclude that use of the Dinan kit lets one keep the BMW warranty. My understanding is that installation of the Dinan parts voids that part of the BMW warranty and that Dinan provides another warranty that steps in and fills the part of the BMW warranty that is voided. My thinking is that one of the reasons why the Dinan kit is SO expensive is that it costs Dinan money to offer the warranty. They are either paying a 3rd party to administer the warranty or they are directly paying out some claims from users that require warranty service.

I am still unsure what happens when one needs service and the Dinan dealer is inconvenient, ie what would happen if my HPFP died and I limped int the nearest BMW dealer, which is not signed up with Dinan. Do I wait for Dinan to send out the parts, flatbed the car 150 miles to a Dinan dealer, or what. And who picks up the loaner. Many questions still abound after talking to Dinan.

And I still did not get any answer from Dinan that makes any sense about why the dyno gains on the N55 kit do not come close to their own claims.

This is exactly why I went with the PPK instead of Dinan. Your warranty gets screwed exactly as you described it. Problem with that is some dealers may be fine, while others will refuse to fix anything and blame it on Dinan. Either way, the inconvenience doesn't justify the price. I assume for you, as for me, warranty is an important deal, so you might as well try the PPK like I did.
      05-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #129
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoItaly1 View Post
How long does it take BMW dealer to do the software update?
Looked at my receipt and they charged
1.5 hours service. $199.00
fwiw
      05-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #130
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noncom23 View Post
Looked at my receipt and they charged
1.5 hours service. $199.00
fwiw

I was also charged for 1.5 hours. That seems to be the average, although in practice, it takes more like 4-5 hours; they just wouldn't sell anything if they charged that much for installation, lol.
      05-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #131
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
It will not "adapt" to your hardware because it doesn't recognize it! You will gaine some performance but to "fully" use it, you will have to have the right software...
This is correct! The whole "adapt" term is far overused and overrated, in my opinion. Your car will adapt to a new air filter or an intake, but never to a bunch of major aftermarket parts, like exhaust, intercooler, and so forth.
      05-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #132
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoItaly1 View Post
Doing the PPK1 next week. It's all I need. Plus keeps warranty with BMW with no issues.

+1! Exactly my reasoning.