E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > PS Fluid Sticker vs Fluid Color Mismatch

11-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
apiazza2010
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92

PS Fluid Sticker vs Fluid Color Mismatch

Hello everyone,

I have an 07 E92 335i, car has 86k miles. Owned from 73k miles.
I have been slowly replacing all the fluids and now decided to tackle the Power steering fluid due to the tank leaking (no o-ring).

I plan to replace the tank and fluid, since it has the green CH11S sticker I bought a bottle of it and the new tank.

I went today to replace it and sucking out the old fluid is clearly RED and smells like ATF, but towards the bottom is has a faint green hue.

What should I do?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
LaChewy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 n52 130k

Sounds similar to my situation when I got mine. My fluid was super funky.

Don't cut corners with this or else you'll be spending a lot of bucks replacing the whole system.

Heres what you do:

Drain the whole system at banjo bolt (check DIY thread) and then replace with with CHF11

Go inside and order another PS reservoir ($20) and some more CHF11 from Amazon. While your package is on the way you should drive the car as normal so you can prepare any residual ATF to be flushed out.

When your stuff arrives, drain again at banjo bolt, replace res, fill er up again with CHF11.

It's important to get a new res regardless of fluid issues or not; the res has the filter built in and it should be changed at 100k. This is a no brainer - you and the car will be stoked afterwards!
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      11-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiazza2010 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have an 07 E92 335i, car has 86k miles. Owned from 73k miles.
I have been slowly replacing all the fluids and now decided to tackle the Power steering fluid due to the tank leaking (no o-ring).

I plan to replace the tank and fluid, since it has the green CH11S sticker I bought a bottle of it and the new tank.

I went today to replace it and sucking out the old fluid is clearly RED and smells like ATF, but towards the bottom is has a faint green hue.

What should I do?

Thank you
I'd probably suck out the old fluid with an air powered brake vacuum(mitivac) and replace with ATF. I'd do this procedure 2x to make sure all the CHF is out.

If the car has over 100k, and you are unsure if the PS reservoir has been changed, change it. There is a filter on the bottom that can't be changed by itself. The whole reservoir must be changed out subsequently. The PS reservoir does not cost a whole lot.

It sounds like someone tried to change the car over to ATF and didn't get all the CHF out.

You can run 335's power-steering pumps on ATF. It just needs to be a quality, synthetic ATF like an Amsoil etc.
Appreciate 0