E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brought my E92 in for recalls, got an F30 loaner. I hate it.

08-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
misterkliper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i sport

Garage List
Brought my E92 in for recalls, got an F30 loaner. I hate it.

I know a bunch of people have touched on this in the past, so forgive me if I'm echoing a bit here. That being said, here's my little rant. It's surprisingly quick in a straight line, but even in sport/sport + it handles like crap and the steering feels like I'm in a civic. (Disclaimer: I love Hondas, but I want my sport sedan to feel sporty). I've heard people complain about the EPS once the F30 was released, but this is my first time driving it. Now I understand. Also, everybody raves about the ZF 8 speed auto. In some situations it's fast as hell, nearly instant even. In others though... it seems to take a paddle shift as a suggestion and waits a solid second or so before actually changing gears. When it works well it's quite nice, the rest of the time it's annoying. Materials throughout the interior feel much cheaper too, harder touch materials all around. The sound system is much better than mine though, I'll give it that. And iDrive has been kind of fun to play with, but none of it feels necessary. All in all, not a fan. Can't wait to have my E92 back.

Here's a few quick iPhone shots of it from last night:

Last edited by misterkliper; 08-08-2018 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Great review! That's exactly how I felt when I drove a f30 328i. Car was nimble and quick for a 4 cylinder however... it didn't have that charisma that the e90s have. Interior is beautiful but feels like it was rushed. I'm still curious on how the 335i and 340i feels though.
      08-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Indeed, EPS is biggest drawback in my opinion.

Unfortunate part is that it's obvious BMW are capable of tuning the EPS systems to provide good feedback, steering feel, weight, etc, but they don't seem to be interested in doing this for the F30, or many of their later models to be frank.

Before my E90 I had an F30 340i xDrive on a lease. The car was nutted out and had the MPPSK, so it was hard not to like it (my last car was a Honda). But still, it was impossible to ignore the f*ckin steering... Sport+ just increased steering effort and did nothing to improve the feel, so I agree with you there.

Here's the problem: BMW's are supposed to be drivers' cars, but in order to retain and expand market share, they have opted to cater to the masses, rather than stay true to the core tenets of their brand.

People want light steering. Don't ask me why...

When I used to work for BMW, I heard many complaints about how "the steering is too heavy" in E90 3er's or E70 X5's, yet I heard relatively few people complain about how numb and lifeless the F30's steering is... It was certainly enlightening, considering I'd have expected the opposite.

My hope is that BMW realize they have strayed too far in the other direction and get back to their roots. They're coming into a huge product offensive: that is, they've got a ton of truly new products about to launch (or recently launched), so their entire model lineup will be very current and fresh.

It seems that BMW's identity crisis with its later models is why Mercedes have--in my local market at least--been eating BMW's lunch for the past few years. Same thing for Audi: they've been murdering BMW on paper where I live.

All the Benz's I've driven--and I've driven many--have been far less enjoyable to drive than even BMW's lesser offerings (excepting AMG models of course). But people don't care, because they have power headrests and trunks and modern interiors with eye-pleasing curves. Another example is Lexus, who still somehow manage to sell cars despite the drive being, as Jeremy Clarkson so aptly put it, "...like sitting in a bucket of warm wallpaper paste, reading a Jane Austen novel.” But they know their client, and they know how to avoid alienating them. By trying to attract those types of clients, I think BMW has lost its way, and has pissed off its once-loyal enthusiast base.

Looking forward to the next 3er. Hoping they can right the ship.

Last edited by e90yyc; 08-10-2018 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great review! That's exactly how I felt when I drove a f30 328i. Car was nimble and quick for a 4 cylinder however... it didn't have that charisma that the e90s have. Interior is beautiful but feels like it was rushed. I'm still curious on how the 335i and 340i feels though.
      08-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

08-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

I took mine in a while back for one and hated it as well. Interior actually felt a hair cheaper, not sure if it was the config or what but I didnt like it.

Hated the engine, you can tell its not a 6.

And the steering really, really bugged me. Not only was it light (and i couldnt find a setting to improve it) but it felt so numb on center and probably the first inch of wheel travel that it kind of felt like I was driving my old 67 LeMans. Not that i could turn the steering wheel that much and nothing happened but it felt like nothing was going to happen, like it wasnt connected to anything.

I didnt really realize that is what I hated about it the most until getting back in my car.

Quote:
Id say women. Every girl Ive dated or loaned my car to complained how "hard" it as to steer. And this is just with the 16" wheels on it. Feels perfect to me but they complained compared to their Hondas or whatever. But they LOVED the transmission, quietness and the engine for getting on the highway/overtaking. So usually they just wanted me to drive instead of taking their car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Indeed, EPS is biggest drawback in my opinion.

Unfortunate part is that it's obvious BMW are capable of tuning the EPS systems to provide good feedback, steering feel, weight, etc, but they don't seem to be interested in doing this for the F30, or many of their later models to be frank.

Before my E90 I had an F30 340i xDrive on a lease. The car was nutted out and had the MPPSK, so it was hard not to like it (my last car was a Honda). But still, it was impossible to ignore the f*ckin steering... Sport+ just increased steering effort and did nothing to improve the feel, so I agree with you there.

Here's the problem: BMW's are supposed to be drivers' cars, but in order to retain and expand market share, they have opted to cater to the masses, rather than stay true to the core tenets of their brand.

When I used to work for BMW, I heard many complaints about how "the steering is too heavy" in E90 3er's or E70 X5's, yet I heard relatively few people complain about how numb and lifeless the F30's steering is... It was certainly enlightening, considering I'd have expected the opposite.

My hope is that BMW realize they have strayed too far in the other direction and get back to their roots. They're coming into a huge product offensive: that is, they've got a ton of truly new products about to launch (or recently launched), so their entire model lineup will be very current and fresh.

It seems that BMW's identity crisis with its later models is why Mercedes have--in my local market at least--been eating BMW's lunch for the past few years. Same thing for Audi: they've been murdering BMW on paper where I live.

All the Benz's I've driven--and I've driven many--have been far less enjoyable to drive than even BMW's lesser offerings (excepting AMG models of course). But people don't care, because they have power headrests and trunks and modern interiors with eye-pleasing curves. Another example is Lexus, who still somehow manage to sell cars despite the drive being, as Jeremy Clarkson so aptly put it, "...like sitting in a bucket of warm wallpaper paste, reading a Jane Austen novel.” But they know their client, and they know how to avoid alienating them. By trying to attract those types of clients, I think BMW has lost its way, and has pissed of its once-loyal enthusiast base.

Looking forward to the next 3er. Hoping they can right the ship.
Thats how I felt driving my brothers M240i, the steering was like a video game. The interior was beautiful and the engine was great.

What is cheap about the F30 interior?

The car reviews are raving about the Audi and Mercedes steering feel as of late so I'm not sure they are less enjoyable to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Thats how I felt driving my brothers M240i, the steering was like a video game. The interior was beautiful and the engine was great.

What is cheap about the F30 interior?

The car reviews are raving about the Audi and Mercedes steering feel as of late so I'm not sure they are less enjoyable to drive.
I didn't find the F30 interior cheap, just not as "modern" as the Benzes. I actually think the quality of materials BMW use are quite good.

You know, maybe I'm just biased to be honest. I should have been clearer in that I didn't hate the drive of the Benz or the Audi by any means, I just found I preferred most BMW's.

I do hope Bimmer returns to form though!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Yep, I agree. My gf has a 2013 F30 328i. Love the motor, tranny, and larger interior but hate everything else. I'm keeping my 2011 328i until the wheels fall off or until I can afford an M3/M4.

The F30 just doesn't hug the road the way a BMW should. They've gone too soft and floaty. But the gas mileage on the F30 328/330 is incredible!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
misterkliper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i sport

Garage List
Quote:
to be frank.
You made some interesting points, although my favorite part of your whole response was you writing "to be frank" next to your Frank Reynolds avatar haha. More than likely unintentional, but I liked it.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2424.00
      08-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I'm good with the interior for the most part. It's different, but I'm relatively okay with it.

I'm disappointed in the EPS setup. They made the steering wheel easier to turn based on customer feedback. They tried this in the 2000s and it failed, causing them to make a retrofit kit that BMW would install free of charge.

I'm hoping the G20 addresses this. With EPS, theoretically it should be extremely easy for the driver to directly control exactly how much weight they want via a software-driven UI. Imagine if you could change the weight via the idrive knob using a scale. That would be awesome.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2424.00
      08-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
328i?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
I actually own both an F30 (335i MSport 6mt) and an E90 (328i Sport with at). My wife drives the E90 most of the time but I have driven it quite a bit over the years as well. I like both cars a lot and find them quite similar in many aspects, the F30 just being a more modern interpretation of the same theme. Yes, the steering is heavier in the E90 but I like the lighter steering feel in the F30 almost better for daily city driving. I personally don't see much of difference in the build quality and quality of materials between the two cars. The similarities in appearance, both interior and exterior, are appealing to me. But then I like continuity.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Many of us have had so many of them over the years, but with Takata I had one for 4 mos. The steering is a joke. I want to rip my hair out, I dunno what happened. The last BMW loaner I drove was an X1 in Dec., and maybe the steering was better?

Although some might say you're tooting your own horn, I think the 2006-2011's are the best....steering is on point. Brakes are superb (even with floating calipers). The F's are just nothing great...bet there are people who own both. wonder if anyone likes their F better barring features, meaning for the drive aspect..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
The steering is blah. Drove my friends F22 and though they are fast and I like the interior I still HATED the steering. I go to throw the thing into a corner expecting it to be like my e92 and I had to give it so much steering angle to take the corner while in my car I could do it in half the angle. Definitely keeping my e92 until I get into an M car
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #16
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
328i?
Looks like LCI, so 330
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #17
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Many of us have had so many of them over the years, but with Takata I had one for 4 mos. The steering is a joke. I want to rip my hair out, I dunno what happened. The last BMW loaner I drove was an X1 in Dec., and maybe the steering was better?

Although some might say you're tooting your own horn, I think the 2006-2011's are the best....steering is on point. Brakes are superb (even with floating calipers). The F's are just nothing great...bet there are people who own both. wonder if anyone likes their F better barring features, meaning for the drive aspect..
X1 is IMO quite nice. Call me biased but I sincerely believe it's best in its class. Plenty quick, awesome fit and finish, loads of interior space, looks nice, and driving dynamics are proper BMW.

I know I'm repeating myself, but... What I liked most about my 340 was the B58... Seriously, just an absolutely superb motor. The MPPSK exhaust also sounded great, and the adaptive suspension performed very well. There was a very noticeable difference between Comfort and Sport modes.

Nonetheless, the steering sucked moose balls. But really the adage "you can't miss what you don't know" (sort of) applies here. In no way am I defending the shitty steering or suggesting it doesn't matter, but let's say I get back into that same 340 again... It has enough endearing qualities and performance that while I'll surely lament the steering for the first few days, eventually I'll think about it less. To be fair I also drive a 328 now, so the performance margin is substantial.

I dunno. If it was a zipper 330 (F30) on the other hand, I might be singing a different tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
X1 is IMO quite nice. Call me biased but I sincerely believe it's best in its class. Plenty quick, awesome fit and finish, loads of interior space, looks nice, and driving dynamics are proper BMW.

I know I'm repeating myself, but... What I liked most about my 340 was the B58... Seriously, just an absolutely superb motor. The MPPSK exhaust also sounded great, and the adaptive suspension performed very well. There was a very noticeable difference between Comfort and Sport modes.

Nonetheless, the steering sucked moose balls. But really the adage "you can't miss what you don't know" (sort of) applies here. In no way am I defending the shitty steering or suggesting it doesn't matter, but let's say I get back into that same 340 again... It has enough endearing qualities and performance that while I'll surely lament the steering for the first few days, eventually I'll think about it less. To be fair I also drive a 328 now, so the performance margin is substantial.

I dunno. If it was a zipper 330 (F30) on the other hand, I might be singing a different tune.
Since I rent cars at work, there are truly cars that the wheel can be turned lock to lock with one's pinkie. Nissan Rogue was one. I test drove a Lexus RX-L for a $75 gift card. Turned out to be the GM who took me as everyone was busy. He asked me sincerely what I thought, so I turned the wheel from lock to lock with my pinkie, and said I really don't like this about many new cars...

I really believe that if you were someone that collected cars? An E9x has to be in your collection.
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2424.00
      08-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #19
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
328i?
Looks like LCI, so 330
I drove the 328i f30 for a week and it is quick for what it is, might not be as fast as the 335i but quick it is
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
I drove the 328i f30 for a week and it is quick for what it is, might not be as fast as the 335i but quick it is
Agreed! Lots of low-end torque!
Appreciate 0