E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

02-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #595
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes there are some compromises to using the MOST adapter, understand that the alternative is going with a full aftermarket amp solution, which is fine but will cost $$$, time, and a lot of effort. The MOST adapter is a simple inexpensive solution that gets the job done. If you want more, go with an amp replacement solution.

With that said Ill try to answer your questions.

1: Cars with PDC, front or rear, should use Y cables to combine the dynavins front and rear outputs into the MOST adapter, turning 4 channels into 2. These are not included but can be obtained at any car audio shop or electronics store.

2: Luckily in the E9X the time alignment values front and rear are similar so it still works well enough, no perfect but much better than not having it at all. Again if that is not good enough for you, bypass the MOST adapter and go all aftermarket.

3: Yes there are a couple D/A conversions involved but thats basically theoretical. What you suggest....sending a digital signal direct from the CD drive to the amp IS (technically) better but your ability to hear the difference in a car environment is unlikely....well probably impossible actually. Again, what do you want to pay and what is your return on that investment.

Keep in mind....in most high end systems there are multiple D/A conversions....im my personal car for instance I have a dynavin head unit and a JBL MS-8, and a number of amps The dynavin starts out digital, converts to analog to output via the RCAs, those go into the MS-8 where they are converted to digital, processed, and converted back to analog for the amp outputs. This is standard in any system using RCA connections and digital processing and frankly is a non issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #596
claurance2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i sedan

sos code

After the head unit was installed. I installed the mic the next day due to running out of daylight. That morning I got the ccid299 code. How do I clear this code?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #597
jeffb335
Rep

I'm not sure what that code is, Google does not turn up much but it looks like it might be a low battery code? If so that makes sense considering you just did an install....doors open, lights on, multiple power cycles, etc.... I would think it would go away after a little use for the alternator to charge it back up....but perhaps your battery is on its last legs.

Hard codes are reset with an obdII scan tool. All techs have them.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #598
claurance2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335
I'm not sure what that code is, Google does not turn up much but it looks like it might be a low battery code? If so that makes sense considering you just did an install....doors open, lights on, multiple power cycles, etc.... I would think it would go away after a little use for the alternator to charge it back up....but perhaps your battery is on its last legs.

Hard codes are reset with an obdII scan tool. All techs have them.
that code is for the Bluetooth connection
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #599
rxrep
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328Xi Sedan

Hi all. Adding my 2 cents.... I love the unit so far. I did have to use a relay on my reverse camera for it to work. The only con I have at this point is that even with the volume turned all the way down in the "source" menu under "sounds", regular FM radio doesn't get soft enough before the volume cuts. It's kind of like it's silent, then one click up in volume takes it to a volume level too loud for soft background listening. It's fine for all other media sources, but the radio thing kind of sucks. Glad most of my listening is done via iPhone and/or Pandora.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #600
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaskrank View Post
I'm really interested in the Dynavin headunit, but I see three major flaws with the MOST-adapter:

1. My car has PDC front and rear and logic7-hifi. I understand that the logic7-amp input is only stereo so it will only play front or rear PDC-sounds depending on which channel of the Dynavin is connected to the adapter/amp. I wonder if this is still an issue or if this got fixed somehow? Imho the Dynavin basically needs a selectable option to output both PDC-signals to the same channel when connected to the MOST-adapter. Besides I wonder how this is working with the stock radio in the first place?

2. Since we are using only the front OR the rear channel time correction can not be set for front and rear speakers independently. I personally could live with that since it is still better having at least left/right-time correction than not having time correction at all.

3. My biggest concern: I notice that the MOST-adapter is connected to the RCA-outputs which are analog. So there has to be an additional analog/digital-conversion-circuitry in the MOST-adapter to convert the analog audio back to digital (optical fibre) before it gets converted to analog again in the Logic7-amp. So the audio signal basically gets D/A-converted twice which is far from ideal from a signal processing point of view. We're definitely loosing signal quality here compared to the stock setup so I wonder how this is affecting overall sound quality? Streaming the digital audio from CD to the Logic7-amp directly - as the stock radio does - is the much better solution.

Can anybody confirm that the MOST-adapter is actually doing an A/D-conversion? Or is the Dynavin capable of putting out digital audio to the RCA-connectors when the MOST-adapter is connected?
I had Logic 7 and was using a Mobridge DA2 to convert the optical digital to analog RCA. The Dynavin does the A/D for you and provides analog out via RCA so you can go straight into a regular audio amplifier. So the Dynavin takes digital in and outputs analog. There is no double conversion.

The Dynavin will simplify your audio because it outputs analog.
      02-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #601
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Updates are available at naviextras.com. The speed warning is in the settings menu under volume and warnings, it's fully configurable, audible, visual, both, none at all, and the threshold at which you get the warning are all adjustable.
Thanks Jeff!!
      02-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #602
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Curious:
I noticed in the list of accessories in europe, there's an item called
Veyron V-Link <--you can click on that to get to the site.

Has Jeff tested this item yet to see how or even if it works?

I know the Veyron backup camera seems to be considered a higher quality aftermarket part.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #603
jeffb335
Rep

Yeah, I would think that would work fine.....keep in mind its just a screen mirror, just display....I did that with my dynavin and a jailbroken iphone 5 years ago....wasnt wireless back then though.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #604
deadbeauty
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320D 2006

Hey peeps,

I've read the whole thread coz i just installed a Ultionon this weekend, as far as ik can find out the Ultinon is just the same as de Dynavin N6, the new one(V2).

Thanks to all the pics and words i managed to install it myself and get it up and running. THANKS!! I took out my old parrot, and got the new mic into the light panel.
Also needed the 12v cable to the battery, but that worked out fine.

Now i still have a few questions and really didn't find them answered:

1. I have changed the startup logo to Bmw, and that's working fine. But when i start up the Navigation it's still gooing on a 'Ultinon screen' can i also change the logo when its starting up the navigation?

2. I know people think it's stupid but i still like to use my 'Aux in' in the midlleconsole.
I plugged the tulp's the white and the red ones just like it's shown on the diagram on the dynavin. But it doesnt work

3. When i try to watch a movie, from the sd card, i only hear sound, and a tekst on the screen saying 'you can't watch this while driving'. im standing still, not in gear:s :s

4. where do i change the language of the igo navigation? I found the voices but can't find the menu change to another language.

Hopefully some can give me hints!! Thank U!!

greetings Erik
Netherlands
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #605
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Anyone in Raleigh, NC area that can do this install? I have a Parrot mk9100/Unika setup currently installed. No L7.

Last edited by rogerdiaz; 02-23-2015 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #606
Bauchpower
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Yes there are some compromises to using the MOST adapter, understand that the alternative is going with a full aftermarket amp solution, which is fine but will cost $$$, time, and a lot of effort. The MOST adapter is a simple inexpensive solution that gets the job done. If you want more, go with an amp replacement solution.

With that said Ill try to answer your questions.

1: Cars with PDC, front or rear, should use Y cables to combine the dynavins front and rear outputs into the MOST adapter, turning 4 channels into 2. These are not included but can be obtained at any car audio shop or electronics store.

2: Luckily in the E9X the time alignment values front and rear are similar so it still works well enough, no perfect but much better than not having it at all. Again if that is not good enough for you, bypass the MOST adapter and go all aftermarket.

3: Yes there are a couple D/A conversions involved but thats basically theoretical. What you suggest....sending a digital signal direct from the CD drive to the amp IS (technically) better but your ability to hear the difference in a car environment is unlikely....well probably impossible actually. Again, what do you want to pay and what is your return on that investment.

Keep in mind....in most high end systems there are multiple D/A conversions....im my personal car for instance I have a dynavin head unit and a JBL MS-8, and a number of amps The dynavin starts out digital, converts to analog to output via the RCAs, those go into the MS-8 where they are converted to digital, processed, and converted back to analog for the amp outputs. This is standard in any system using RCA connections and digital processing and frankly is a non issue.
about the Number 1 - PDC:

When i combine the dynavin Line Out (i have front and rear PDC and Logic 7), how should i connect the y-adapter?

Like Line Out Front L and Line Out Rear L to Aux In L?
Or Line Out Front L, Line Out Front R to Aux in L and Line Out Rear L-R to Aux In R?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #607
THURO
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Cabrio

Two quick questions, I have a '13 E93.

1:If I replace the headunit do I lose the "brrrrrriiiiiiiing" warning sound?
2:My PDC sensors sound different front and back, one is at a higher pitch than the other, does it still work that way with this headunit?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #608
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THURO View Post
Two quick questions, I have a '13 E93.

1:If I replace the headunit do I lose the "brrrrrriiiiiiiing" warning sound?
2:My PDC sensors sound different front and back, one is at a higher pitch than the other, does it still work that way with this headunit?
Not sure if it's because this thread has gotten so huge, or people are too lazy to read the first few pages. (sorry to sound like a jerk, but the info is there...)

First few pages should explain quite nicely that the Dynavin N6 integrates with the factory harness to keep your PDC sensors, and the "brrrrrriiiiiiiing" warning sound. The only difference, is that the sound is slightly different, and I'm pretty sure he included a video demonstrating the sounds as well.

edit:
I went back to the beginning of this thread just to see for myself, and you didn't even have to get past the first post to have those questions answered.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #609
THURO
Registered
Rep

Firstly wongway thanks for being an a$$ about it, I'll have you know I've read all 29 pages in this thread prior to posting the question. If you continue reading forward he says in a later post that his car being an 08 didn't have the sound coming from the stereo in the first place. At least that's what I got from it. The point is that I am confused as to whether the "gong" as you're calling it was available in that model, and to whether it was a tritone like the one I hear, or if it's different. And quite frankly after your post I'm still in the same spot I was before. So yes, I still want to know the answer to my questions since I don't have a clear understanding of this from the 29 pages of thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #610
jeffb335
Rep

ah, everyone seems to be in a crappy mood around here lately....

THURO, frankly if you spend enough time following these threads you get pretty tired of seeing the same 8 questions asked over and over and over and over and over.....and thats what Wongway was responding to....he has followed ALL of these threads carefully and HAS seen all the repeated questions, as have I. If you DID read the entire thread but were just confused by something then his comments were not really aimed at you personally and you should try not to take offense.

To answer your question....it will be the sound you saw in my clip earlier in this thread, not the oem tritone sound. Fairly pleasant tone, ive not received a single complaint about it so i suspect everyone finds it sounds good enough.

As for the PDC....PDC is somewhat rare and front PDC is very rare on the E90s so I cant say Ive heard the front sensors (I do have them on my E70 though, front and rear sound the same on that car, stock idrive).....but I would assume that in your case the fronts will sound the same as the rears on the dynavin....I dont think it makes different tones for different sensors, just changes the frequency of the beeps.

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-27-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #611
THURO
Registered
Rep

Thanks for clarifying. There's a lot of info in the thread, and sometimes it gets a bit confusing as I read it all in one fell swoop. I like the tritone, and I guess if they would've made it user customizable on the new head unit it it would've been cool, but we can't have all we want all the time. I'll probably order from you in the near future Jeff, as throughout the thread you've been more than helpful and it really does inspire trust. Thanks again, and sorry for calling you names Wongway.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #612
Jeyoller
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 2011

Hey guys im not sure if the answer to my question is out there but i wanted to post it here since im gonna be buying this exact product. Before i ask anything i just want to put out there that i currently own a 2010 335i xDrive N54 with a really base package (no nav, no pdc, no cam, no nothing) I wanted to install this product and retrofit the PDC sensors on to my bumper and connect them to the main unit. Any chances this might actually work?

Thanks for the help in advance! Really nice thread! Keep it up

PS: Sorry for my language barrier, main language is Spanish
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #613
still in school
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Any idea when the new update is being released to the public?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #614
rangomango
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1 Series M

So I've been through the thread and can't seem to find an answer to my question.

With cars that use logic 7, from what I read the Dynavin will output two RCAs to the MOST adapter which will then convert it to an optical signal. Does this mean we can expect the system to sound like our current system with the "music" option turned off and no adjustments to the front and rear fade?

Still researching this, but if anyone knows off the top of their head:
If I do go with a aftermarket amp, is there a harness to wire up the speakers? Or how are people doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #615
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoPower View Post
I am also wondering, specially for the DAB unit.
Been waiting for some bugs fix....
Far as I knew, the gentleman that's our local dealer here is based in the United States. (the guy that started this thread)

I'm pretty sure DAB is based in Europe, and I know I could be wrong here, but I sorta doubt our local dealer here is going to be able to help much with DAB...

Again, I could be wrong, but since here in the states, we don't have/use DAB, I don't know if I'd count on his expertise in that area.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #616
jeffb335
Rep

Ill ask them where we are on the 1.1.1 release....most of you guys on this thread have already got it from me in one beta form or another but hopefully it will be out soon for everyone.

One thing to keep in mind is that they are trying to unify the firmware for the 30+ different units they make....so that each model does not require a dedicated firmware....obviously a lot more efficient that way in the long run....for all of us. BUT the downside to that is that, short term, our E9X units are working well with the new firmware and we might think its ready to be released for us, Dynavin may may be working on issues that have nothing to do with us in a completely different market (this is what is happening by the way).

Last edited by jeffb335; 03-02-2015 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0