E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Resonator Delete

02-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Resonator Delete

Hello all, I need some help. Im on a bit of a budget right now, and I would like to do some type of exhaust modification. Im currently in a 2008 335xi (N54) and was thinking about doing a resonator delete. The car is bone stock, with nothing done to it, I can do the resonator delete for 50$ at my buddys shop. not too bad. Im looking for something not too terribly loud, but opens up when you get on it a little. and maybe if im lucky get some pops from the exhaust. The question is, should I do an X pipe in place of the resonator or straight pipes? Dont want something too loud but just enough. when I get enough $$$ I plan of going down pipes and a dual cone intake. Any suggestions? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
Drew-dale13
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_s335 View Post
Hello all, I need some help. Im on a bit of a budget right now, and I would like to do some type of exhaust modification. Im currently in a 2008 335xi (N54) and was thinking about doing a resonator delete. The car is bone stock, with nothing done to it, I can do the resonator delete for 50$ at my buddys shop. not too bad. Im looking for something not too terribly loud, but opens up when you get on it a little. and maybe if im lucky get some pops from the exhaust. The question is, should I do an X pipe in place of the resonator or straight pipes? Dont want something too loud but just enough. when I get enough $$$ I plan of going down pipes and a dual cone intake. Any suggestions? Thanks
Hey i have the exact same car as you. Don't do just a resonator delete!! I tried this too to get some louder exhaust with pops and got no burble and the car basically sounded like a lawn mower. So I put the resonator back in and did a secondary cat delete and muffler delete. Not too loud, but naturally burbles and sounds amazing. I've had this set up for almost a year now
Custom exhaust with stock downpipes
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #3
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew-dale13 View Post
Hey i have the exact same car as you. Don't do just a resonator delete!! I tried this too to get some louder exhaust with pops and got no burble and the car basically sounded like a lawn mower. So I put the resonator back in and did a secondary cat delete and muffler delete. Not too loud, but naturally burbles and sounds amazing. I've had this set up for almost a year now
Sounds sweet, Thanks man!I think I might follow in your footsteps
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
If you do the resonator delete, add a SS x-pipe in its place. Cut off the secondary cats & put in high flow resonators. If you don't put in high flow resonators, you will absolutely get Drone at Hwy speeds.

Look at MMP, VRSF & ARM Motorsports for downpipes. You will need a tune, once you install downpipes. There are several things that should be new or relatively new before installing a tune like MHD or Cobb. If no tune, you will get CEL errors codes. MHD & Cobb shut the errors codes off by clearing them every-time you start the car.

In take cones? BMS or AFE.

You should get an upgraded FMIC & inlets too.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
If you do the resonator delete, add a SS x-pipe in its place. Cut off the secondary cats & put in high flow resonators. If you don't put in high flow resonators, you will absolutely get Drone at Hwy speeds.
I prolly sound like a dummy asking this, but are you saying to put High Flow Resonators in place of the secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Look at MMP, VRSF & ARM Motorsports for downpipes. You will need a tune, once you install downpipes. There are several things that should be new or relatively new before installing a tune like MHD or Cobb. If no tune, you will get CEL errors codes. MHD & Cobb shut the errors codes off by clearing them every-time you start the car.

Im really Wanting to get the MHD, BMS dual cone is next on the list. What are the costs for Downpipes? Something I can install myself?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I prolly sound like a dummy asking this, but are you saying to put High Flow Resonators in place of the secondary cats?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Im really Wanting to get the MHD, BMS dual cone is next on the list. What are the costs for Downpipes? Something I can install myself?
$250.00 for MMP

If you live in the rust belt (mid-west), Northeast or any state that uses salt on the roads in the winter, you better be very handy. If you live in the south and the car is a true Southern, downpipes are not that difficult, IMO. You will need a set of new gaskets between the downpipes & exhaust pipe. If you are near 100k or over, it's not a bad idea to put in new turbo gaskets as well. They go between the downpipes & the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #9
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
$250.00 for MMP

If you live in the rust belt (mid-west), Northeast or any state that uses salt on the roads in the winter, you better be very handy. If you live in the south and the car is a true Southern, downpipes are not that difficult, IMO. You will need a set of new gaskets between the downpipes & exhaust pipe. If you are near 100k or over, it's not a bad idea to put in new turbo gaskets as well. They go between the downpipes & the turbos.
Im in NW Oh. So winter is very bi polar so to speak. one day its 40-60 degrees, the next its 15. So ill def look into that. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #10
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=mweisdorfer;24404251]Yes[/Q

Interesting, you have any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
$250.00 for MMP

Im in NW Oh. So winter is very bi polar so to speak. one day its 40-60 degrees, the next its 15. So ill def look into that. Thank you
You will need a torch with yellow gas, sawzall with a Diablo carbon tipped blade, and probably a dremmel with several cut off wheels (a dozen). I'd also have an air powered torque gun & some Kroil Oil. I'd go that route first (soak the bolts that connect from the end of the cat to the exhaust pipe 24 hours & then use air powered torque gun). If no dice, start cutting.

I'd put in grade 8 hardened bolts, nuts & washers slathered up in a lot log Nickel based anti-seize. This way, if you ever have to get back in there, you won't have any difficulty. SS bolts won't hold up too well given the heat & salt.

I don't have a clip with a 335i that has stock mufflers, high flow resonators in lieu of secondary cats & SS downpipes on stock mufflers.

A really good set up for an exhaust is :

SS downpipes, high flow resonators, X or H pipe, 335is or PE mufflers. The sound this set up makes is intoxicating
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #12
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You will need a torch with yellow gas, sawzall with a Diablo carbon tipped blade, and probably a dremmel with several cut off wheels (a dozen). I'd also have an air powered torque gun & some Kroil Oil. I'd go that route first (soak the bolts that connect from the end of the cat to the exhaust pipe 24 hours & then use air powered torque gun). If no dice, start cutting.

I'd put in grade 8 hardened bolts, nuts & washers slathered up in a lot log Nickel based anti-seize. This way, if you ever have to get back in there, you won't have any difficulty. SS bolts won't hold up too well given the heat & salt.

I don't have a clip with a 335i that has stock mufflers, high flow resonators in lieu of secondary cats & SS downpipes on stock mufflers.

SS downpipes, high flow resonators, X or H pipe, 335is or PE mufflers. The sound this set up makes is intoxicating
Thanks for the info! you got me thinking I might have to run that setup. that whole combo sounds crazy
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info! you got me thinking I might have to run that setup. that whole combo sounds crazy
I'd get one of newer type sawzalls, which are shorter & less bulky. It will be easier to maneuver under a car that's on 4 jack stands.

Below is what I'm talking about -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0-21/202311908

There are a few sound clips on YouTube for 335i's
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Stock on the coupes is an H pipe of sorts. I don't think you can purchase that particular part. Best bet, if that's what you really want is to find a wrecked on in a junk yard and cut it off the exhaust.

Or a much easier route is to buy a SS 2 1/2" X-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #15
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'd get one of newer type sawzalls, which are shorter & less bulky. It will be easier to maneuver under a car that's on 4 jack stands.

Below is what I'm talking about -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0-21/202311908

There are a few sound clips on YouTube for 335i's
Good to know, thanks for the link
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Stock on the coupes is an H pipe of sorts. I don't think you can purchase that particular part. Best bet, if that's what you really want is to find a wrecked on in a junk yard and cut it off the exhaust.

I think the coupes (E92) come with a X pipe, but SS def sounds more appealing to me
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #17
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I think the coupes (E92) come with a X pipe, but SS def sounds more appealing to me
SS = stainless steel

Get your resonators, X pipe, and extra SS exhaust pipe all in 2 1/2"

If you look closely at the connection, it's more of an H pipe than an X pipe. An H pipe will give the exhaust a deep growl. An X pipe won't as much, but you gain some HP.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

Man I cannot wait to do my second cat delete with and put in resonators. From your descriptions it sounds amazing...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #19
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
SS = stainless steel

If you look closely at the connection, it's more of an H pipe than an X pipe. An H pipe will give the exhaust a deep growl. An X pipe won't as much, but you gain some HP.
Ah I thought SS meant supersprint hahaha good to know, I wanna keep the rumble to it so that helps out great. Thanks a lot man I really appreciate the info
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #20
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:

Man I cannot wait to do my second cat delete with and put in resonators. From your descriptions it sounds amazing...
Quote:
Quote:

Get two of these.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...iABEgIBKPD_BwE

X - pipe

https://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-107...9734&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #21
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
SS = stainless steel

Ah I thought SS meant supersprint hahaha good to know, I wanna keep the rumble to it so that helps out great. Thanks a lot man I really appreciate the info
Quote:
Quote:

If you end up cutting the bolts off and the bolt is stuck in the flange of the exhaust pipe, you will need to heat it up to almost white hot temps & use a punch & an 8# mini sledge. Just an FYI... Salt, corrosion & time can be a major b@tch. It's either that or drill it out with a few cobalt bits (which aren't cheap).
Appreciate 0