Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E90 LCI:17x9ET30 with 255/40; Coilover fitment

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

E90 LCI:17x9ET30 with 255/40; Coilover fitment

Sorry about the weird title. Is anyone running that wheel and tire combo along with coilovers? Clearance up front is tight so I'm wondering if a coilover can fit there. Pictures would be great! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Happy to help! What type of suspension are you running? Different suspensions offer difference inner clearances.

We have many customers running out 17x9" ET30 wheels without issue, even on KW coilovers that do limit inner clearance quite a bit. However, in some cases you may need a 5mm spacer if you car is very low, or you are using a certain tire brand/compound that run wide. Going with a 245/40-17 can assist give you a bit more inner clearance as well.

Shoot us a PM or give us a call if you want to dive into more detail on your fitment We also have a 17" Group Buy currently running if you are interested.

-Matt
      02-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Happy to help! What type of suspension are you running? Different suspensions offer difference inner clearances.

We have many customers running out 17x9" ET30 wheels without issue, even on KW coilovers that do limit inner clearance quite a bit. However, in some cases you may need a 5mm spacer if you car is very low, or you are using a certain tire brand/compound that run wide. Going with a 245/40-17 can assist give you a bit more inner clearance as well.

Shoot us a PM or give us a call if you want to dive into more detail on your fitment We also have a 17" Group Buy currently running if you are interested.

-Matt
I actually already am running a 17x9et30 with 255/40 all around. Got them with the last group buy y'all did. Currently on Nitto NT555. Fitment is perfect, just a bit tight up front, but no rubbing or anything.

Just ready to drop the car a little bit. Nothing crazy, maybe like an inch or so.
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
I actually already am running a 17x9et30 with 255/40 all around. Got them with the last group buy y'all did. Currently on Nitto NT555. Fitment is perfect, just a bit tight up front, but no rubbing or anything.

Just ready to drop the car a little bit. Nothing crazy, maybe like an inch or so.
Your car looks amazing with the 255 tires

Lowering your car will vary in terms of limiting inner clearance. If you decide to do a spring/shock combo, inner clearance will remain about the same. Many street style coilovers that have a conical type spring (KW, Bilsteins, Ohlins, etc), do limit inner clearance quite a bit, so you may need a 5mm spacer to clear. With that said, you can typically upgrade to springs on KW suspension to something more linear (hyperco or swift) which will provide you with more inner clearance. Higher end coilovers such as JRZ, MCS or AST do not have those issues.

What type/brand of suspension are you considering for your car?
      02-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #5
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Your car looks amazing with the 255 tires

Lowering your car will vary in terms of limiting inner clearance. If you decide to do a spring/shock combo, inner clearance will remain about the same. Many street style coilovers that have a conical type spring (KW, Bilsteins, Ohlins, etc), do limit inner clearance quite a bit, so you may need a 5mm spacer to clear. With that said, you can typically upgrade to springs on KW suspension to something more linear (hyperco or swift) which will provide you with more inner clearance. Higher end coilovers such as JRZ, MCS or AST do not have those issues.

What type/brand of suspension are you considering for your car?
I was thinking Ohlins, ST XTA-series, or BC BR. Honestly could go any number of ways. All I know for certain is I want adjustable height and dampening.

I'd rather buy coilovers that don't require a spacer.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
I was thinking Ohlins, ST XTA-series, or BC BR. Honestly could go any number of ways. All I know for certain is I want adjustable height and dampening.

I'd rather buy coilovers that don't require a spacer.
Torqu3,

Unfortunately, all of those coilover systems you mentioned will require a spacer up front. By using a conical spring up front, these systems do limit inner clearance quite a bit and will require at least a small 5mm spacer to aid in clearance.

We would highly recommend looking for a coilover system that utilizes a linear spring, as these will give you a bit more room thus eliminating the need for a spacer.

- Max