E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What's the purpose of these ribs? ;)

02-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I think everyone is overthinking this. There hasn't been a single documented instance on this forum in 12 years of n54s that had an issue due to aftermarket dp not having a flex section, and hundreds / thousands of aftermarket
Solid dp's are in the market.

There's been plenty of fitment issues with cheapo brand or eBay dp, but nothing related to a missing flex section. I wouldnt worry about this or make the existence of a flex part a factor in your decision of which pipes to go with.
      02-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #24
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

As mentioned above without flexes your entire exhaust/turbocharger setup is constantly subjected to stresses/fatiques/etc. Fortunately the OE turbofolds are very robust being a very high end stainless steel, and seldom do they have any issues. However over the years we have seen a couple that literally come apart- usually due to a bottomed out vehicle of which impact does and can damage the turbofold (thus turbocharger) itself. With some of these cheaper cast materials being flung around in some aftermarket turbos these days, we imagine more and more will start to flake apart with full solid exhaust setups as time ticks onward.

All in all these Wagner DP's are very high quality pieces. If you are the type who likes to have the best performance parts that are also engineered to truly meet OE type reliability requirement specs (to cover your bases on the unexpected "what-ifs" in life) then these are it- but also when you want the best parts you are going to pay a bit more for them as well and therein lies the trade off.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 3
musa421.50
Jklad421.00
feuer4275.50
      02-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #25
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

We have only seen 1 or 2 manifolds actually cracked, both were OEM with who knows how many miles (not the heat shield around them either). I have seen downpipes crack, not real often, but maybe a dozen sets in nearly as many years. In fact, back in the day when I bought mine, Riss Racing, I installed them with a hairline crack at the exhaust mating flange. Been fine since.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #26
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Thanks everyone, it's great information on DP all around. Much appreciated.

*makes a face to try and will the thread to close.*
Appreciate 2