E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > White smoke only after pressing the gas pedal

02-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
savannahz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert

White smoke only after pressing the gas pedal

Hey,

I have an issue where I'm getting white smoke through both exhaust pipes. If I start the car and don't touch the gas I don't get any smoke. If I even slightly touch the gas peddle, say a few hundred rpm's, it starts to smoke. I can then restart the car, not touch the gas, and it won' t smoke. If I hold the the rpm's around 2k, I get a cloud. The smoke is thick and white and smells kind of rubbery. I'm not losing coolant or oil. I was originally thinking condensation, but it does it warm or cold. It was around 70 here in Georgia...of course, it is low humidity and that may play a part.

I just started getting wastegate rattle I can hear at idle, accelerating, and decel. I can make it stop by unplugging either vacuum canister (one at a time).

When researching, it seems to point to turbo seals. Since I just did a OFHG, I had oil everywhere. I cleaned it up the best I could and took a look again today two months later. There is some oil where the trans meets the block. This seems to be right under the rear turbo. I snapped a few pics. The first is the rear turbo, does that look like it's leaking? I don't see oil upstream, but it's hard to see.

What do you guys think? Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
alexg212
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe/Mustang Gt

I’d put my money on a valve cover leak. That looks like fresh oil. Symptoms are typical. I’d pull plugs just to be thorough and see if there’s oil or fuel on them in the morning. Notice any smoking when warm? I had the exact same symptoms before. Particularly when sitting at idle when engine at full temp for several minutes, then accelerating a few mph and letting it decel under load, plumes of smoke.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg212 View Post
I’d put my money on a valve cover leak. That looks like fresh oil. Symptoms are typical. I’d pull plugs just to be thorough and see if there’s oil or fuel on them in the morning. Notice any smoking when warm? I had the exact same symptoms before. Particularly when sitting at idle when engine at full temp for several minutes, then accelerating a few mph and letting it decel under load, plumes of smoke.
Valve cover leak is pretty common so I would start there as suggested..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
savannahz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert

Thanks for the suggestions. I cleaned the engine with simple green and am going to check in a week for oil. It could have been residual from the OFHG which was leaking pretty heavily when I fixed it.

As for the white smoke, I drove it to work this morning and the temp was in the 50's. It wasn't smoking after a 30 minute drive, so I'm hoping it was just condensation I was seeing before. I'm not losing coolant, nor oil.
Appreciate 0