E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New to BMW!...kind of

02-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
e93geek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i convertible

New to BMW!...kind of

Hey BMW community! I recently purchased a 2013 e93 328i alpine white color, saddle brown interior. Love it in and out. I was persuaded by my father's 535i m sport in charcoal black. Both are absolute beauties.
328i has cold package, & tech.
Now I have a couple of questions.

I purchased a 60k/6year warranty called Veritas(Premium) protection for an extra $5k. Was it worth it considering my car had 46k miles when purchased(second owner) and everything is mechanically ok? I have np doing preventative maintenance. Or should I return the warranty.

Why I chose the 328i N/A? Heard and did research on it being one of the most reliable bmw's out there. I'm 21 and I have other plans in the future. So I didn't really want any thing with turbos right now. Do you guys/gals think the N/A inline 6 was the way to go beside the f series i4 turbo?

Another thing: do you guys recommend buying an OBD scan tool for my car? Or will my infotainment system already have all that info.

I have so much plans for this car as it is the car I wanted since highschool. Had a honda ex-l at first but wanted more a bmw than anything.. I also wouldnt mind connecting with people that are car enthusiasts in LA/Long beach!

One more question:hard top convertible. I know they have been implementing the hardtop now for a couple years before 2013 but just wondering, what are some things I will have to keep an eye on being so delicate? One of the first things I noticed are the hydraulics & the rubber seals on lubricating them. Anything else?

Wait.. just one more.. what should I keep in my BMW based on your opinions? Any safety tools?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Welcome,

Keep an eye out on the usual, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket. Not 100% sure on the warranty personally, maybe someone else can speak to it. It seems a bit steep in price if you are comfortable doing your own work though.

You should def get that scan tool as it will save you a ton of headaches in the future as it can read error codes in more detail than the infotainment. Also, depending on the tool you get, you can code features in and out of the car too.

In regards to the roof, sometimes these fly off
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Congrats on the car! If your car no longer has the run flats, a can of fix a flat in the trunk is a must. On the warranty front, my brother had a 528i that we had a warranty on the car had no problems while it was in our family but warranty is a nice piece of mind. Wish someone was dumb enough to offer them for my 335 Ha.

Edit: Just saw the post above me. Doing your own work will save you lots, so if you will only need to pay for parts then the cost of the warranty may be high. Also consider if the warranty has any deductible, do they dictate the shop it goes to or can you, and would you rather let someone else deal with the labor instead of yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I would definitely get at least the Carly for BMW app and a wifi module. Did you get a PPI on the car before buying? I'm not a believer in extended warranties and I'd have lost a lot of money if I had them on my two BMW's. Over the past ten years, I've averaged about $90 a month including tires, a set of wheels, batteries and maintenance items. I think that buying a solid car is a must but issues do come up from time to time.
      02-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I would definitely get at least the Carly for BMW app and a wifi module. Did you get a PPI on the car before buying? I'm not a believer in extended warranties and I'd have lost a lot of money if I had them on my two BMW's. Over the past ten years, I've averaged about $90 a month including tires, a set of wheels, batteries and maintenance items. I think that buying a solid car is a must but issues do come up from time to time.
Warranties are fickle, 95% of the time, you'll never use it, but that 5%, when something major happens, you'll be kicking yourself for not having it. It's definitely a gamble either way
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
e93geek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
Welcome,

Keep an eye out on the usual, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket. Not 100% sure on the warranty personally, maybe someone else can speak to it. It seems a bit steep in price if you are comfortable doing your own work though.

You should def get that scan tool as it will save you a ton of headaches in the future as it can read error codes in more detail than the infotainment. Also, depending on the tool you get, you can code features in and out of the car too.

In regards to the roof, sometimes these fly off
I don't plan on doing much DIY work but other than the basic maintenance. I'd love to save as much money as possible. Also what part is that of the roof? Also which thermostat.. oil?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
e93geek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatkins12 View Post
Congrats on the car! If your car no longer has the run flats, a can of fix a flat in the trunk is a must. On the warranty front, my brother had a 528i that we had a warranty on the car had no problems while it was in our family but warranty is a nice piece of mind. Wish someone was dumb enough to offer them for my 335 Ha.

Edit: Just saw the post above me. Doing your own work will save you lots, so if you will only need to pay for parts then the cost of the warranty may be high. Also consider if the warranty has any deductible, do they dictate the shop it goes to or can you, and would you rather let someone else deal with the labor instead of yourself.
My car does run on all run flats. The deductible is $100, no matter the size of the cost. They said even if the job is $7k, $10k, only $100 deductible.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
e93geek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know and that's what I'm thinking too. Since its such a reliable car why have this warranty? But at the same time I'm just so new and fresh to this car I'm not sure exactly what'll pop up. What I do know is that bmw's are known for plastic tubing (thanks to scotty kilmer) so that may cause premature wear on a lot of parts. I know this isnt reliable like a toyota.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
e93geek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
Quote:
Warranties are fickle, 95% of the time, you'll never use it, but that 5%, when something major happens, you'll be kicking yourself for not having it. It's definitely a gamble either way
I just want to know what major things I need to look out for on this car? I tend to take care of my belongings and I just dont know if this warranty is worth it. $5k is a lot
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93geek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatkins12 View Post

My car does run on all run flats. The deductible is $100, no matter the size of the cost. They said even if the job is $7k, $10k, only $100 deductible.
That's not a bad deductible and kind of peace of mind that you only need to spend that much. It's really up to you I can't speak to cost of an n52 over those 60k miles as the one I am familiar with we only had for about 2 years but over that time it was super reliable. You could get into the present value of the 5k versus spending it later on repairs. Potentially maybe take that 5k into a rainy day fund or a low risk investment platform and then you have it already set aside and it could potentially earn you money or interest.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #11
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

That sounds good on paper, but like many are saying you could potentially not get that value back.

It sounds like you're covered for repairs but what type of repairs? Not wear parts like brakes, tires obviously but what is and isn't included?

What would potentially happen with that insurance if someone smashed into your car? Would they still choose to total it, or repair it regardless of the cost?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Would you replace the water pump, or the valve cover gasket yourself? (Look at the DIYs and make a call on whether you'd give them a go.) If you would do them, then I think the warranty is NOT worth it.

Just my $0.02.

But then, I tend to avoid nonessential insurance really. I have, car (mandatory in UK for driving on public roads), home, and life insurance, but I honestly can't think of anything else I'd bother insuring. YMMV!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
carly is now a subscritpion.

screw that.

protools and a bimmergeeks adapter if you need it to run on a phone.

ista on a laptop if you're savvy.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #14
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Congrats, I'm sure you'll like the car and warranty add a piece of mind. However, if i had a warranty, I'd just go for a (twin)turbo, but that just me.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #15
Andyb01
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Hi, and welcome from the uk,
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #16
e93geek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
That sounds good on paper, but like many are saying you could potentially not get that value back.

It sounds like you're covered for repairs but what type of repairs? Not wear parts like brakes, tires obviously but what is and isn't included?

What would potentially happen with that insurance if someone smashed into your car? Would they still choose to total it, or repair it regardless of the cost?
Every thing mechanically, electronically, transmission, engine etc. basically bumper to bumper. You know what I havent asked in the event of a total loss/any accident.. I will actually ask!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
e93geek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Would you replace the water pump, or the valve cover gasket yourself? (Look at the DIYs and make a call on whether you'd give them a go.) If you would do them, then I think the warranty is NOT worth it.

Just my $0.02.

But then, I tend to avoid nonessential insurance really. I have, car (mandatory in UK for driving on public roads), home, and life insurance, but I honestly can't think of anything else I'd bother insuring. YMMV!
Damn it bro I want to do it my self. I just want to focus my time on other stuff that will benefit my business. But for the time being just pay for a mechanic to do so..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #18
e93geek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Congrats, I'm sure you'll like the car and warranty add a piece of mind. However, if i had a warranty, I'd just go for a (twin)turbo, but that just me.
I love the car I love/hate the warranty right now.

It's okay. I'll look for power in an m4 cabriolet in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:24 AM   #19
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
As long as you change its oil every 5-7k and give it premium fuel, the N52 will treat you great (of course it'll still need the typical e90 maintenance mentioned above). It's a fantastic engine, although the 328 flavor might be a bit underpowered considering the additional weight of the Cabrio, I would still enjoy every moment of it. Enjoy your ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #20
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93geek View Post
Damn it bro I want to do it my self. I just want to focus my time on other stuff that will benefit my business. But for the time being just pay for a mechanic to do so..
Keep the insurance then. Doesn't mean you can't do it if you have time...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:45 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Regarding the extended warranty, you need to read the fine print of what it covers and more importantly what it doesn't cover. It sounds like you've already spent the $5K on the warranty, so are you sure you can cancel the warranty and get the money back?

I have an E46 cabrio and a Z3 roadster, so I'm no stranger to (soft top) convertibles. That said, I don't have any personal experience with the E93 roof, but there have been a few members here that have had trouble with the roof mechanism. I'd double check that the extended warranty covers the roof mechanism. If it doesn't and you can get your $5K back, I wouldn't keep the warranty; especially if you can turn your own wrenches. If the warranty does cover the roof mechanism, then hell, you've already spent the money, I'd keep the warranty.

Being 21, your car requirements are going to change over time, so you need to consider that. Meaning, how long are you going to keep the car and how many miles will you drive it? The extended warranty is for 6 years and up to 106,000 miles, are you going to get that amount of time and mileage out of the car? Is the warranty transferable to the next owner should you sell the car in a few years?

46,000 miles on a E9X drivetrain is nothing; the drivetrain easily lasts over 300,000 miles. The N52 is a tank motor, it just doesn't break, but does need repairs for the common oil gaskets and water pump (possibly). The WP in the later model years was updated and lasts far longer than the 2008 and prior versions. And my final advice is, you said "I have so much plans for this car as it is the car I wanted since high school", so that sounds like you have the mod bug. If money is a concern for you, then leave the car as it is, and save your money for maintenance and repairs. Un-modded BMWs are more valuable than modified ones when you go to sell it. BMWs can be expensive to own, save your money to keep it running well.

And get a BMW scan tool that reads both BMW trouble codes and OBDII codes.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Welcome

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0