E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Choosing the correct Shock for your trim

12-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
WillieBeamen
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi e92

Choosing the correct Shock for your trim

Good afternoon, good people.
Fair warning: I'm new.

As most midwesterners know, the roads up here are UNFORGIVING. The reckoning of potholes is NOT limited to any make or model, and recently, a decievingly awkward & deep crevice that I've since come to call "caroline" quickly formed on my route to work. The dieties had spoken, & She chose ME...... snapped the bolt right off the bottom of my right rear shock like that kid at the diner who wont leave the toothpick dispenser alone. Just in time for the Holidays, of course.

Replacing should be pretty straightforward, sure. Ive decided to go ahead & replace both rears.HOWEVER, I find that the REAL challenge is choosing the correct shock for my model. I have an e92 328xi with sport package. I do know that the AWD models sit higher than RWD, but does the sport package nullify that point? My Xi actually DOES sit at a nice, low stance.Surely you fine people have a better understanding of how the shocks are affected by package. As well as which shocks I'd need. Any & All info would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
I'd get the part number from the sticker on the shock and just buy it from FCP along with all new mounting hardware. Though I wouldn't doubt if you went that route your ride height would increase (new vs shot)

I got the Bilstein B12 ProKit for my 330xi. The drop is decent, handling is great, rides like shit on any road you find in the midwest.
      12-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Sport package on the xi didn't change the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieBeamen View Post
Good afternoon, good people.
Fair warning: I'm new.

As most midwesterners know, the roads up here are UNFORGIVING. The reckoning of potholes is NOT limited to any make or model, and recently, a decievingly awkward & deep crevice that I've since come to call "caroline" quickly formed on my route to work. The dieties had spoken, & She chose ME...... snapped the bolt right off the bottom of my right rear shock like that kid at the diner who wont leave the toothpick dispenser alone. Just in time for the Holidays, of course.

Replacing should be pretty straightforward, sure. Ive decided to go ahead & replace both rears.HOWEVER, I find that the REAL challenge is choosing the correct shock for my model. I have an e92 328xi with sport package. I do know that the AWD models sit higher than RWD, but does the sport package nullify that point? My Xi actually DOES sit at a nice, low stance.Surely you fine people have a better understanding of how the shocks are affected by package. As well as which shocks I'd need. Any & All info would be appreciated.
For a 328xi, I wouldn't go crazy. It sounds like you prefer comfort vs performance. Bilstein's run a little stiffer than OEM. Imo, they are great shocks & struts but not for someone who prefers comfort.

Koni yellow's can be adjusted to the comfort level you prefer. They also a sport shock/ strut.

I'd you are over 100,000 miles or even close, remember to change out your surrounding hardware.
Appreciate 0