Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #1
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90

Does anyone have some time on the WS-90 yet?

I'm deciding between the Blizzak WS-90, X-Ice XI3 and Hakka R3. I don't need the best tire for where I live, but I'd like a somewhat quiet riding, long lasting one. The coopers I was on until the wreck were SO LOUD. My fave was the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, but Goodyear killed that line.

Boston doesn't seem to be getting much snow this year, but we've had a few ice storms already, and I don't trust what's on my ride now (OE Potenza runflats... also loud and awful)
      01-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Does anyone have some time on the WS-90 yet?

I'm deciding between the Blizzak WS-90, X-Ice XI3 and Hakka R3. I don't need the best tire for where I live, but I'd like a somewhat quiet riding, long lasting one. The coopers I was on until the wreck were SO LOUD. My fave was the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, but Goodyear killed that line.

Boston doesn't seem to be getting much snow this year, but we've had a few ice storms already, and I don't trust what's on my ride now (OE Potenza runflats... also loud and awful)
Blizzak WS-90

I know someone who put WS-80 on their 335is. They had nothing but praise.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I don't need the best tire for where I live, but I'd like a somewhat quiet riding, long lasting one.
I mean you basically listed the 3 best snow tires around. I reserve my recommendations of Blizzaks to people who want uncompromising grip in the snow/ice. Typically this is for people who live in areas that see snow covered roads pretty much all winter. The only dig on the Blizzaks is that they don't last very long when driven on pavement/concrete (very soft compound which is why they're so good in the snow/ice). Of those three I think the X-ice are the best suited tires for what you need. They'll last longer than the Blizzaks on the concrete and will be more than enough grip when things do get icy. They're basically the staple winter tire here in Toronto as I see them on most of the cars on the road. The only dig on the X-Ice is that in the super deep snow they lose out to Blizzaks (or other tires with aggressive tread patterns) in outright grip. The tread pattern is more for hard packed snow and ice. The Nokians I've read are the best of the best but are pricey, I don't see too many of them around here to comment. I'd also give the Toyo GSI-5 and Conti VikingContact7 some search considerations too. The VikingContact7's are a brand new to this year and have been reviewed pretty decently.

Good luck!

Last edited by Volasko; 01-06-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
The only dig on the Blizzaks is that they don't last very long when driven on pavement/concrete (very soft compound which is why they're so good in the snow/ice).
I guess this is what I'm curious about... The WS-80/70/60 etc wore out fast, but the WS-90 is supposed to last longer. I'm wondering if anyone bought them and has figured it out

That said, I'm probably going with x-ice.
      01-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Nokia

Quote for Nokia - 225/45/17
Attached Images