E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > HELP......AC stopped working and now serp belt sheared .....

01-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
greenjeans420
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 bmw 335i coupe

HELP......AC stopped working and now serp belt sheared .....

i have an e92 N54 and 2 months ago the ac stopped being cold but motor was still blowing air i tried to check pressures on high and low side but it didn't hold anything to check so me not being a mechanic figured it's winter in New England why do i need my ac now, im also on disability so i dont have much money so i do have to save to buy any parts......ANYWAYS I was driving home and i started to hear a faint whine as i pulled into my house the engine shut off .....when i pop my hood i see all sorts of shit u dont want to see on ur BMW ---fragments of belt and oil on top of oil filter housing and alternater then when i look under the car theres a pool of oil and shreds of my belt.........SO my question to anyone whos knowledgeable of the n54s is...... im sure the cause of the belt failure was the ac compressor seizing for lack of freon/pag. prob cuz of a hole in the line or compressor. but What [IMG]undefined[/IMG]could the oil be from....bad gasket(which ive already replaced both once) or is there somethin im missin. any[IMG]undefined[/IMG] ideas will be appreciated. i cant get under the car yet till i catch a ride to get my tools Thanks again ppl
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Based purely on what I can see in the photos I'd say your oil filter housing has been leaking for a long time (top radiator hose swollen around the band clamp as rubber swells when in contact with motor oil). The oil drips down onto your belt which destroys the rubber (makes it swell and become stretchy, slippery). Belt slips, AC compressor doesn't turn sufficiently. Belt eventually shreds and wraps itself behind the harmonic balancer and pushes in the front main seal to cause the pool of oil at the bottom.

You may even have a fractured power steering pump pulley from contact with the subframe?
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
greenjeans420
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 bmw 335i coupe

thanks for the insite bud......i replaced the oil filter housing gasket and the oil cooler gasket like a year ago and cleaned up all the oil i could see and im guessing the new gasket shit itself too cuz of the same things u seen. it sux cuz i just dropped all my tools off in storage and was giin to drop the car off to get some recalls fixed then i pulled into my apt complex and the belt shreded so now i got no tools to get her in the air.........man BMW Life is hard just got her up and running after valve cover gasket coils pkugs starter battery CAS steering lock issues and a front end collision......if i didnt loce the car and if she wasnt paid off this month id be losin my shit right now.....not that im not
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:24 AM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Inspect carefully the front main seal of the engine behind the flywheel. If that belt made its way inside the engine you are in serious trouble.

https://www.autoscopecarcare.com/bmw...inside-engine/
Appreciate 0