E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > ABS Lights on after changing wheels

04-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
BigMoose
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

ABS Lights on after changing wheels

Hi all,

I have a manual 330i E90.

Over the weekend I changed from my winter wheels to my summer wheels. On my first drive out the ABS, DSC and Handbrake Lights came on. They seem to go out then come back on.

I am pretty sure I did not knock anything. The car was working perfectly before the wheel change.

Is there any way a wheel change could set these off ? Is there anything I can check to fix this ? I have a basic scanner and it is showing no wheel sensor fault codes.

Thanks for your help !

BigMoose
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoose View Post
Hi all,

Over the weekend I changed from my winter wheels to my summer wheels. On my first drive out the ABS, DSC and Handbrake Lights came on. They seem to go out then come back on.

I am pretty sure I did not knock anything. The car was working perfectly before the wheel change.

Is there any way a wheel change could set these off ? Is there anything I can check to fix this ? I have a basic scanner and it is showing no wheel sensor fault codes.

Thanks for your help !

BigMoose
If the dash lights are showing you will have fault codes stored. Try to get BMW spec scanner like Carly or BimmerGeeks Pro Tool. Or get a DCAN cable.

It could well be a wheel speed sensor...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Styvy
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoose View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for your help !

BigMoose
Hey mate,

Same thing happened to me. The culprit was wheel speed sensor. At the moment have the handbrake light on due to break wear sensor

Regards,
Styvy
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 01:19 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styvy View Post
Hey mate,

Same thing happened to me. The culprit was wheel speed sensor. At the moment have the handbrake light on due to break wear sensor

Regards,
Styvy
handbrake light is red,,brake wear sensor is yellow..weat sensor wouldnt put handbrake light on..or am i missing something.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Highly likely it is a coincidence and it is a wheel speed sensor.
If the wheels have been in storage for some time check the tyre pressures are correct. If one tyre is flat this might be enough to trigger an ABS warning.
Simple check to do while you are sourcing a more elaborate code reader to find out which wheel is problematic.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:00 AM   #6
BigMoose
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Thanks,

Hopefully coincidence and it is a wheel speed sensor. What are the recommendations for scan tools ? I would ideally like something that I can register a new battery with when the time comes. I would not be able to stand going to BMW dealer for this.

Thanks again.

BigMoose
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

My personal preference is INPA and the associated apps that come with it. This will allow you to carry out most things you will ever want to do, get specific BMW fault codes and view sensors in real time. Be wary that some vendors are still offloading versions that only go up to the E Series cars but the current one covers F Series also provided you have the appropriate ethernet type connector to go with it. For the functionality you get it is dirt cheap but it does require a laptop to run on and depending where you source the software it can be a PITA to install.
Carly is meant to be very good but I have not used it myself and apparently now this is a subscription based app so its value depends on how much you use it.
Others have their own favourites and I am sure they will chip in shortly.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Highly likely it is a coincidence and it is a wheel speed sensor.
If the wheels have been in storage for some time check the tyre pressures are correct. If one tyre is flat this might be enough to trigger an ABS warning.
Simple check to do while you are sourcing a more elaborate code reader to find out which wheel is problematic.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
Styvy
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
handbrake light is red,,brake wear sensor is yellow..weat sensor wouldnt put handbrake light on..or am i missing something.
Hey mate,

Its red hand brake light on for me. My rear brake sensor got torn off and its been on ever since. I bought the full kit for rear but haven't changed it yet.
Just checked it again and its handbrake light not the brake wear
I will run diag on the car today and check the error. Last time it did it was brake sensor for sure

Rgs,
Styvy
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #10
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

i have a foxwell nt510 and according to the manual it can register battery,,i paid £117 deliveerd for it,,but inpa is the best but a palava setting up and using,,also a new one is pro tools which has good reviews..im happy with the foxwell,,have a google of it
Appreciate 0