E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 Tension Struts (Upper Control Arms) Only ?

01-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

M3 Tension Struts (Upper Control Arms) Only ?

Has anyone swapped out the Tension struts only (aka Upper control arms). My understanding after reading numerous threads is that the Wishbones (aka Lower Control arms) are key for adding a little camber. I am wondering if they provide 75% of the improved feel vs stock or if it's more like 50/50?

If I were to do the Tension struts only, would an alignment still be required?

I am guessing it's best to do both but thought I would ask. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by For3 View Post
Has anyone swapped out the Tension struts only (aka Upper control arms). My understanding after reading numerous threads is that the Wishbones (aka Lower Control arms) are key for adding a little camber. I am wondering if they provide 75% of the improved feel vs stock or if it's more like 50/50?

If I were to do the Tension struts only, would an alignment still be required?

I am guessing it's best to do both but thought I would ask. Thanks for any advice in advance.
If you really want the car to feel connected to the road, get the M3, five piece kit from FCP Euro. It has a lifetime warranty. Also, get new tie rods. Lemforder is the OEM provider.

Just installing the tension strut won't get nearly what you are looking for or allow the car to reach its fullest potential.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...SABEgJ0HPD_BwE

Tie Rods -

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-32106765235

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-32106765236

Yes, you will need an alignment either way.
Appreciate 1
Ballistic127.00
      01-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
If you really want the car to feel connected to the road, get the M3, five piece kit from FCP Euro.
You missed the entire point of his question.

Yes, the upper arms will make the biggest difference when comparing stock units to the M3 equivalents. Reason for this is because you are replacing a stock sloppy hydro bushing for one that is much stiffer.

As mentioned, the lower arm will increase negative camber and is a solid upgrade as well.

If you change the upper arm only, you will not need an alignment as long as current specs are where you want them.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      01-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I did the M3 tension struts only. Big improvement in handling and feel from replacing leaky hydraulic bushings with solid ones, but also a similar increase in NVH. No alignment needed as the M3 and non-M tension struts are the same dimensions.

I've posted about this a few times in the past so feel free to search my history for more details and photos.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      04-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I did the M3 tension struts only. Big improvement in handling and feel from replacing leaky hydraulic bushings with solid ones, but also a similar increase in NVH. No alignment needed as the M3 and non-M tension struts are the same dimensions.

I've posted about this a few times in the past so feel free to search my history for more details and photos.
Significant increase in NVH?
Appreciate 0