E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Install SSD in CIC

10-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #133
emanmor345
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
yea so music transfers seem finicky, same as well for map updates

i put my old hdd back, did the update, and wrote that back to the ssd
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #134
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
The benefit about the VM is you can boot the the VM from the ISO. No need to leave your host OS. No need to physically boot your machine into clonezilla.
Seems easier just to boot from USB than having to set up a VM and configure it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 10:26 PM   #135
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanmor345 View Post
yea so music transfers seem finicky, same as well for map updates

i put my old hdd back, did the update, and wrote that back to the ssd
The SSD should never be slower nor "worse" to use unless something is amiss in the installation.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #136
emanmor345
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
The SSD should never be slower nor "worse" to use unless something is amiss in the installation.
music transfers would fail, and the nav updates would not finish, other than that its fine
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #137
bobbinbob213
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Trim support of SSD's in CIC

Thanks for the helpful post. I'm retrofitting CIC Professional into my F25 from a CHAMP originally, and this post has at least allowed me to make a backup of the drive on my Mac prior to it going bang!

I just wondered whether people thought of TRIM support in the SSD, do the msata drives do garbage collection automatically or is the SATA>PATA controller doing it without input from the operating system? QNX 6.3 (that CIC is built on) doesnt support Trim and I wondered if compatibility issues ensue because of that?

Another option I looked at was the Sandisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash drives that are available in 128Gb format and have a working temperature similar to the original Toshiba drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #138
opjose
Major
Rep

Given that the OS in the CIC was designed for a hard drive, and there was a need to save flash ram space and the age of the CIC, trim support is not present.

But it isn't really needed anyway... see this.

https://www.crucial.com/articles/about-ssd/what-is-trim

I've been running mine forever a few years now without a single issue nor hiccup.

And it is nice to have the original drive as a backup.

Btw: if I remember correctly, the CIC will not work with larger drives, so your choice is important.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #139
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
music transfers would fail, and the nav updates would not finish, other than that its fine
That sounds like a communication problem on USB.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #140
E61Driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i, 2009 535xi wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagaer View Post
23. You only need to save hbmedia and hbdebug, but I backed up all partitions to my NAS. We need to copy those two partitions back to the drive after extending the partitions. (You may get a "set permissions" error for .boot. It is safe to ignore this error message.)
If you don't already have your 1B file, you can create it from the "data03" file from the "hbdebug" partition
Hi, in step 23 you mention I can get my 1B file from "data03". Do I just take this file and rename it? I did a CIC retrofit but haven't yet received my glovebox USB port yet in the mail and I did remove my hard disk to make a backup so if I can remove 1B from there that would be sweet. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #141
E61Driver
Registered
Rep

Sorry, I think I was able to answer my own question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
UPDATE: A simple automated method has been developed by portalseo. Just put his program on a USB stick, plug it into the glovebox, and your 1b file will appear on the stick:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461515

Many thanks to Rotary Rasp and many others for developing these tools and techniques, I just combined several approaches to find a 12 step program. Here goes:

1. Get a ENET cable (yes, even though e9x doesn't normally use ENET). These typically end up costing about $5 by the time you pay for shipping and everything, but you can certainly save some money by making your own. Search eBay for "bmw enet", see this example for pre-made cables, or make your own with these instructions.
2. Set your PC/Android/Mac ethernet port to IP: 169.254.199.98, subnet: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 169.254.199.99, any DNS
3. Connect the cable and turn on the car (acc mode is fine)
4. In your web browser go to: ftp://169.254.199.99
5. It should prompt for a login, user name is "root", password is either "Hm83stN)" or "cic0803"
6. Click the link to go up a directory a couple of times then browse to /HBpersistence/normal and download the file "generalPersistencyData_DiagnosticSWTControlle r"
7. Disconnect from the car and get that file into Windows
8. Open the file in a hex editor like Hxd http://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDSetupEN.zip
9. Press CTRL-F to search, change the search mode to "Hex" and then search for "01 01 00 1B”. Note that the data just before this should read "3F 01 00 00", otherwise see 9a below.
10. Highlight and delete everything prior to "01 01 00 1B”
11. Go to line (offset) 130 and delete the last block and everything after. The data to be deleted should begin with "3F 01", otherwise see 11a below.
12. Save the file as "a.hex", which should be exactly 319 bytes

Alternative options:
1a. Use a very particular USB-Ethernet adapter per a thread on the other board titled "showthread.php?11728-Get-1B-file-from-Exx-CIC-WITHOUT-ICOM" In this case the address settings may be:
Static IP:160.48.199.98 Mask:255.255.255.128 Gateway/CIC IP:160.48.199.99
or: Static IP:10.250.89.1 Mask:255.255.0.0 Gateway/CIC IP:10.250.89.2
2a. Use tftp32 to turn your computer into the host and force the CIC to the IP address of your choosing. Set your PC to a static IP address (e.g. 192.168.10.10/255.255.255.0) Launch TFTD32 and bind it to your wired adapter. Under the options tab, set the start address to 192.168.10.11 with at least 2 for the pool size. Reboot your CIC by pressing the VOLUME button for about 30 seconds. The CIC will now be accessible at the address you specified, 192.168.10.11 in this case. See post #200 for more details.
4a. Use tftp32, WinSCP, or similar to make the FTP connection. You can check the "anonymous" box to login without a password. In this case the file will be called "data03" and located at “/mnt/hbdebug/”
9a. Sometimes the 1b file is not 319 bytes. The data that you cut in step 10 should end with "...01 3F 01 00 00" where "01 3F" is big endian hex for 319. If you have something different you need to translate it and cut the file accordingly. Note that most online hex-decimal converters expect little endian so to translate 01 3F, enter 3F01.
11a. Sometimes the download process inserts extra carriage returns (hex "0D") into the file and fsc.exe will give an error "Version after create () = 0xD1". It seems normal files have only one instance of "0D" near the end so try deleting any earlier instances until you get to 319 bytes. See more advanced detail in the bmw coding thread "get 1b file from Exx CIC without ICOM" starting at post #296.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #142
E61Driver
Registered
Rep

Tips for VMWare Fusion on Mac

As an FYI, if you're trying to resize the partitions on a Mac while running QNX Neutrino in VMWare Fusion, you need to rename the folder your VM is in to have the extension ".vmwarevm". I spent hours trying to get my CIC's drive to show up in QNX and every time I would boot the VM I would get an error that it couldn't get to the disk. I first ensured in System Preferences that VMWare Fusion had full disk access, I ran the tool that creates a .vmdk from an external disk, but it still wouldn't load. Apparently VMWare Fusion wants to see Workstation VM's as "packages" so adding that file extension somehow fixed the problem and I can access all of my partitions in QNX.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #143
jturn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Yeah, I have the same problem with USB map updates too after upgrading to SSD. Tried multiple USB drives, still have the same problem. Looks like I need to swap back to HDD temporarily if I want to update maps.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #144
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

jturn What SSD and drive adapter are you using?

It seems like some SSDs don't play nice with high write, but I haven't really looked into why. I know I had a similar issue with a Samsung EVO, but switched the mSATA to another and I was able to update without issue.

Since CF cards have gotten a lot cheaper lately, I was planning on trying a CF->IDE adapter, just to see if it worked. (And if it worked better than the mSATA/IDE)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #145
E61Driver
Registered
Rep

Thanks Jagaer for putting this post together. Just did this conversion and it worked great. I used the same SATA adapter Jagaer displayed and then a super-cheap mSATA SSD (Dogfish, some cheap brand I found on Amazon). I don't care about the quality of the SSD much since I don't use the built-in navigation or music anyway, I have a wireless CarPlay unit that runs the whole time when I'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:01 AM   #146
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61Driver View Post
Thanks Jagaer for putting this post together. Just did this conversion and it worked great. I used the same SATA adapter Jagaer displayed and then a super-cheap mSATA SSD (Dogfish, some cheap brand I found on Amazon). I don't care about the quality of the SSD much since I don't use the built-in navigation or music anyway, I have a wireless CarPlay unit that runs the whole time when I'm driving.
E61Driver By any chance would you be able to check if music transfer works from usb? Just would like to know if the dogfish msata works ok for that. TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #147
Beachparty
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Hi everyone,

I successfully upgraded my drive to SSD and everything was working great until recently. Now it seem like the music partition crapped out.... and probably cddb partition as well. The system won't read a CD anymore
The navi still works which tells me it's not a drive problem or cold temperature...
I did take the drive out and mounted it and everything is there !
So if anybody has an idea... I'm all ear !

J
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #148
opjose
Major
Rep

That does not sound like an issue with the SSD.

It sounds more like a problem with the interface bus the CD reader is plugged into or the CD reader itself grounding out the bus.

Fixing that would require a fairly deep dive into the CIC itself.

Of course you could always be lucky and merely have a loose or slightly patina covered internal cable end... so pulling it out and reseating cables would be the first thing I would try.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #149
Beachparty
Private
Rep

That's what I thought too but then when I put the old drive back in, everything works....! And also, there is no code reported from ISTA
I have been looking into the format of the data on the music partition as well as the size of the drive itself.
Next step is trying to just redo the ssd drive with just the original image and nothing else then wait to see if it holds
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #150
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachparty View Post
That's what I thought too but then when I put the old drive back in, everything works....! And also, there is no code reported from ISTA
I have been looking into the format of the data on the music partition as well as the size of the drive itself.
Next step is trying to just redo the ssd drive with just the original image and nothing else then wait to see if it holds
Interesting, let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #151
Beachparty
Private
Rep

Update !
So I decided I would make a new image with the original drive, since everything is fine when I plug it in.
Then I transferred the new image to the ssd an reinstalled it... so far so good !
I will leave it as is for a while to rule out an issue with the partition resizing or music file format..idk then transfer my music database onto it
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #152
SimonSJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D LCI

Hi,

My HDD have started to fail (screen keeps rebooting), and after a Google search I found this very interesting thread!

I have decided to do the HDD to SSD upgrade, but can I copy the HDD I have, or do I need to copy one that have not started to fail?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by SimonSJ; 02-21-2021 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #153
opjose
Major
Rep

It depends...

If you are very lucky your old HDD drive may read correctly when pulled from the system and used as a clone source.

It could also be suffering striction, which can sometimes be temporarily overcome by rotating the drive quickly in the horizontal plane while it powers up with the cables connected, then you may get a perfect clone.

If not you may get most of the drive and partitions copied over with only a few bad sectors.

In turn if those sectors occur in an easy to update partition, such as the maps or music partitions, your cloned drive will work.

The HDD has FSC codes for your CIC hardware, so if you completely loose the drive you have to deal with that too.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #154
SimonSJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D LCI

Quote:
It depends...

If you are very lucky your old HDD drive may read correctly when pulled from the system and used as a clone source.

It could also be suffering striction, which can sometimes be temporarily overcome by rotating the drive quickly in the horizontal plane while it powers up with the cables connected, then you may get a perfect clone.

If not you may get most of the drive and partitions copied over with only a few bad sectors.

In turn if those sectors occur in an easy to update partition, such as the maps or music partitions, your cloned drive will work.

The HDD has FSC codes for your CIC hardware, so if you completely loose the drive you have to deal with that too.

Thank you for the answer! I will try to clone the HDD, so I don't have to deal with losing/changing the FSC codes.
Appreciate 0