E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Highspeed Under Power Grinding

03-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
dlm8751
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Highspeed Under Power Grinding

2011 E90 335d.
Horrific grinding like the car is going to fly apart when turning left but I have to be on the gas, like accelerating out of a hard left turn or big sweeper hauling ass.

You can drive it around all week nice and easy and it will never make a sound. But of course, it's 335d with the JBD chip, so there's a problem in that it's too much fun to just punch it.

I thought it would just be rubbing but I shot a thin coat of white paint in the wheel well,etc but no joy. So, I have to assume it's not rubbing of the tire.

2011 E90 335d Solo Motorsports custom tune
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

From your description it sounds like the grinding noise is wheel speed relative and not engine speed. You might want to try and confirm this because it will help you find the right path more quickly.

If it is wheel speed related, I would suspect a brake rotor / brake shield noise. Check your pads on both front / back on the right side of the car, which will get more force to the outside under a hard left turn.

It could also be that the rear rotor has rusted and is now contacting the dust shield or something else.