E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need help please, I'm posting here because I don't know what else to do about brakes

08-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #23
Buggywhips
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI

I had a similar problem with my 325xi - manual.

It sounds like there are a few different ideas as to what the problem MIGHT be but nothing that I've read points to a definitive part that causes the problem. That said the problem can easily be resolved with a little elbow grease and know how.

What worked for me and many many other folks is to replace the brake pads, rotors, and wear sensors with aftermarket parts. This is a very easy thing to do and there are dozens of videos on youtube that will walk you through it step by step if you've never done it before. Other than jacking up the car, supporting it properly, and removing the wheel you only have a couple additional steps and a couple additional bolts to remove.

Spending $1000 at the dealer, as one poster previously stated, to fix a squeaky brake problem with the same factory parts that caused it originally doesn't sound like the best of ideas because you are going to end up with the same result.

I went with a set of aftermarket rotors from brakeperformance.com and a set of Akebono ceramic pads and sensors from Advance Auto Parts. A total of about $300 including taxes and shipping was spent. Installed everything in about an hour (including a beer brake) and I haven't heard a peep from my brakes in over 50K miles. I don't have the brake dust problem, my pads last longer than the factory ones, and I have better than factory brake performance.

Rather than compound the problem, get frustrated with the dealer, and spend way to much - just some research and do it yourself!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #24
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpride335i View Post
i have an auto and my brakes do not squal so i am free from that problem... i ve always wondered the same thing. front brakes 60k miles, rear 30k? do not make sense to me....
^ thats an easy one.

auto or manual no difference on brake squal

front brakes 60k rear 30k. rear brakes are usually smaller then front . reason is the front do the majority of the braking for the whole car.

The rears only supplement the front... however the reasons the rears wear out faster is due to traction control activating on the rear brakes.

brakes are working and wearing as designed... but the squal is due to poor design.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggywhips View Post
I had a similar problem with my 325xi - manual.

It sounds like there are a few different ideas as to what the problem MIGHT be but nothing that I've read points to a definitive part that causes the problem. That said the problem can easily be resolved with a little elbow grease and know how.

What worked for me and many many other folks is to replace the brake pads, rotors, and wear sensors with aftermarket parts. This is a very easy thing to do and there are dozens of videos on youtube that will walk you through it step by step if you've never done it before. Other than jacking up the car, supporting it properly, and removing the wheel you only have a couple additional steps and a couple additional bolts to remove.

Spending $1000 at the dealer, as one poster previously stated, to fix a squeaky brake problem with the same factory parts that caused it originally doesn't sound like the best of ideas because you are going to end up with the same result.

I went with a set of aftermarket rotors from brakeperformance.com and a set of Akebono ceramic pads and sensors from Advance Auto Parts. A total of about $300 including taxes and shipping was spent. Installed everything in about an hour (including a beer brake) and I haven't heard a peep from my brakes in over 50K miles. I don't have the brake dust problem, my pads last longer than the factory ones, and I have better than factory brake performance.

Rather than compound the problem, get frustrated with the dealer, and spend way to much - just some research and do it yourself!
What is your impression of the rotor quality from brake performance? I bought front rotors (slotted) and their own brake pads (guaranteed less dust and no squel) and the rotors warped in about 10K miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #26
MacR6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Is it a manual tranny thing? Because I feel as if it's because the system is wanting to hold the car on a hill. I can't be sure but imho it's the electronic controls today that mess up the brakes. Like I said, my coworker had her 3rd set of rear brakes on her Accord installed at 45k. Then she found out about the class action that Honda lost, and she got 2 of the 3 reimbursed partially.

Does anyone with an auto have the problem? I just live with it. But another thing I noticed is that at 29k, my fronts have like 41k left, and the rears only 22k. How do rears have a shorter life than fronts? And users can't really abuse the rears short of pulling up the parking brake...
I have an auto. It's loud!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #27
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Stock brakes here. No squeaking issues whatsoever.
      08-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #28
turbolover
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335XI 6 Speed Manual

I have a 2008 335xi same ish! At 10-15mph squeals like a little sissy girl, ist embarassing, especially in my neighboorhood where everyone is a anti imports

I love the car and begining to think its something I have to live with.....
Any one else with 08s that have this in their 335xi's??
      08-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #29
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Happened on mine too. I deconstucted the rear brakes clean the pads and calipers, put anti squeal on, and the squeal stopped... for a few months. It's back faintly now. My indy mech said it could be tyhe parking brake drum accumulating brake dust. Just take the rotor off and dust it off. I havent tried this tho
Appreciate 0