E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New to Forum - 2011 335i-x MT, some upgrade advice

05-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
SirBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MT

Question New to Forum - 2011 335i-x MT, some upgrade advice

Hello Everyone,

I've been referring back to this forum for almost a year now and it's about time I joined up. I found the forum back when I was looking for info before purchasing my first BMW, it saved me from buying an n54

I ended up buying a manual 2011 335i xDrive M package with about 110KM on it, the biggest selling point for me was the extended warranty (until 2019 or 200K). She also came with an M Performance exhaust which I liked

So far she's been good to me, I have had to do the expected maintenance for the mileage. List of stuff done:
  • Some minor stuff covered under warranty
  • spark plugs (OEM)
  • brakes (OEM)
  • tires (Michelin Super Sports)
  • air filter (COBB)
  • Tune: COBB Stage 1+

I have already done a search and went through a bunch of the threads but I think my question seems to be pretty subjective and just looking for everyone's opinion before I pull the trigger on my next upgrades.

It seems the next big performance upgrade would be a FMIC and down + charge pipe, however the options are so vast

I'll probably end up getting a custom tune at the end anyways so sticking with COBB isn't a big deal for me (as far as I know ). My priorities would be:
  • Performance
  • Sound
  • Convenience (will it pass emissions in Richmond Hill, Ontario? If not what do I have to do to work around that?)
  • Looks

Question 1: Can I stick with the M performance exhaust I have or do I need to upgrade this as well to increase performance?

Question 2: Recommendations for the FMIC, down-pipe, and charge pipe? Catted vs catless?

Question 3: I have nice 19" rims and the calipers look all ugly/rusty/dirty compared to the clean rims and rotors. I want to paint the calipers, clips, etc. so it looks cleaner. Do I have to use a specific kind of paint?

Thanks in advance for the info dudes, looking forward to getting more engaged with the community
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Cory S
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

Keep your exhaust. Upgrade to a VRSF charge pipe, go catless if your emissions law are lenient. Install a JB4 and enjoy the car.
      05-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
SirBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MT

Also an option I forgot to mention is going custom straight pipe job and just ditching the up/down pipe purchase all together. Is this a good option?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
RGP-N54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBimmer View Post
Hello Everyone,

I've been referring back to this forum for almost a year now and it's about time I joined up. I found the forum back when I was looking for info before purchasing my first BMW, it saved me from buying an n54

I ended up buying a manual 2011 335i xDrive M package with about 110KM on it, the biggest selling point for me was the extended warranty (until 2019 or 200K). She also came with an M Performance exhaust which I liked

So far she's been good to me, I have had to do the expected maintenance for the mileage. List of stuff done:
  • Some minor stuff covered under warranty
  • spark plugs (OEM)
  • brakes (OEM)
  • tires (Michelin Super Sports)
  • air filter (COBB)
  • Tune: COBB Stage 1+

I have already done a search and went through a bunch of the threads but I think my question seems to be pretty subjective and just looking for everyone's opinion before I pull the trigger on my next upgrades.

It seems the next big performance upgrade would be a FMIC and down + charge pipe, however the options are so vast

I'll probably end up getting a custom tune at the end anyways so sticking with COBB isn't a big deal for me (as far as I know ). My priorities would be:
  • Performance
  • Sound
  • Convenience (will it pass emissions in Richmond Hill, Ontario? If not what do I have to do to work around that?)
  • Looks

Question 1: Can I stick with the M performance exhaust I have or do I need to upgrade this as well to increase performance?

Question 2: Recommendations for the FMIC, down-pipe, and charge pipe? Catted vs catless?

Question 3: I have nice 19" rims and the calipers look all ugly/rusty/dirty compared to the clean rims and rotors. I want to paint the calipers, clips, etc. so it looks cleaner. Do I have to use a specific kind of paint?

Thanks in advance for the info dudes, looking forward to getting more engaged with the community
VRSF Catless downpipes + MHD or JB4. You'll have some fun there and some fair power
Appreciate 0