E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Disa valve pin damaged valve or cylinder !!help!!!

01-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i sapphire black stock;/

Disa valve pin damaged valve or cylinder !!help!!!

I've been having my car maintained at(2007 328i BMW 129,000 miles)german motors. for months now since buying the car they have done diagnostic tests on my car before. a few weeks ago I had a misfire in cylinder 6 and brought the car to german motors .they got a fault code disa 1 defect .Action required to replace large disa valve. I pointed this out to them and they arrogantly refused! German motors told me they were the professionals and they know the disa valve is not the real problem if they say my disa was fine they maybe they installed it incorrectly causing further damage car was fine before they got their hands on it. weeks later I got the same misfiring cylinders but the car was drive able . I told german motors again how their computer showed a faulty disa and why aren't they checking it. They refused to check the disa 1 .after hassling them enough .they said fine we will check out the disa 1.i got a call soon after leaving there they told me over the phone that they checked the disa and was fine . I somehow didn't believe that . I told them the whole history and laggin low RPMS and low end power . They said they needed to send the car Everything pointed to the disa! I was telling them for weeks to check my DISA valve for damage and they refused to do so they told me that's not the issue they basically lied and told me they checked the disa and it was fine and said I have a more serious problem at least they think so they sent it to Bmw dealership in Elk Grove and Elk Grove Bmw told them it was the disa valve that launched a pin into my engine and blew out a cylinder . If they would've listened to me 3 weeks ago and right before I sent it to the dealership and checked the disa it wouldn't have ruined my engine but just a valve which would've costed 400$ now I need a 3,000$ engine rebuild and they also lied by writing to dealership that they checked disa valve .german motors wrote on paperwork customer suggestions for the dealership writing "they stated they cleaned out the disa valve and inspected it . So if they REALLY DID CHECK THE DISA VALVE why have it sent to the dealership just for them to diagnose for 400$ and tell me it was a bad disa valve so how when german motors supposedly cleaned and inspected the valve did they not notice the severe damage?George one of the two owners of the repair shopwas cussing at me when we got in an argument over them damaging the car further more than what was done saying and yelling at me to get the f*** out of his shop here waving a crowbar at my face. I was told by a few people who used to be customers at german motors and they also damaged their car and got sued .the next step was I had to pay BMW Elk Grove 400$ for repairs and to pick up my car and be done with german motors .bmw Elk Grove diagnosed cylinder 6 is the only bad cylinder. The compression of the cylinders were good on all cylinders in high 180s but cylinder 6 had a compression of 139psi ! After towing the car home I started it up was glad it turned on. I don't know what to do with my car at this point .car is worth 9000 excellent kbb. I owe 5,000 and now probably up to 5,000 or less from an Indy for a new engine or rebuild .just bought the car 7 months ago i love BMW but really plastic pins ? DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH $$ to fix head ? What should I do ? How much to replace engine used or maybe I can just trade it in idk Should I take them to small claims court?
Attached Images

Last edited by Chad20; 01-04-2014 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
jessandjamie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

That was a hard read. I can't help, however, why didn't you take it somewhere else when they refused to check this DISA valve (whatever that is)?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
NikosBM
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

honestly... you should have read it before you posted. unreadable almost
cant help
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandjamie View Post
That was a hard read. I can't help, however, why didn't you take it somewhere else when they refused to check this DISA valve (whatever that is)?
This is the condensed version .i was going to, but they insisted they checked it and I was fine .
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

No help? Should I have head sent to machine shop for repair or is it not worth it ? Cheaper to buy used engine and swap?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

You should consider better organizing your thoughts into a story that makes better sense to us as we are reading. As was said above that's very hard to read and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

You should also gather all documentation you have on the issue and maybe go talk to a lawyer about this if you feel they caused damage to your car, I can't really tell from your story if that's truly the case or if this was a natural failure.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

Sounds like op went to a placed called German motors due to an issue with his car, and they kept denying that there was any real issue with a disa valve despite the fact that they were reading a disa error or something. Then I guess three weeks later, he had the car moved to a dealership where they determined that the engine is damaged to the disa valve?

Don't have any idea what a disa valve is.....and seriously? The shop owner started cussing back at you and waving a crowbar at your face? What did you do? If any shop owner did that to me, I would've raised hell and ensured that they would lose a shit ton of customers and eventually go out of business.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

Sounds unfortunate.

It sounds like the damage was already done before you even took it into the shop, i.e. it was already misfiring. I can't see the disa valve causing a misfire on its own, only a loss in power. I can't see why the shop wouldn't oblige by replacing the part you requested, its extra cash in their pocket even thou it wouldn't fix the low compression.

Do you know if it is the cylinder that's scored or maybe a damaged valve?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Someone was selling a complete n54 engine and trans for $3k in here just a few days ago. Had 97k miles but was well maintained and recently walnut blasted etc.

I will try to find the link.

Elk Grove BMW are solid.

Is this German Motors in Roseville/Rocklin? What's the actual name of the shop? Hard to tell since you used virtually no punctuation.

Sorry to hear this. I can understand how upsetting this is. Hang in there.

Also...have the car looked at by Lubo's Bavarian in Sacramento. By far the beat Indy BMW shop I've been to and lowest pricing hands down. If you're going to replace the motor you would get the best deal from Lugo.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for the pin in the DISA valve to come loose and there's certainly a chance it was ingested by the engine, damaging cylinder #6. It's also possible that it fell out after the valve was removed and simply fell onto the floor and you have low compression in that cylinder for some other reason, after all, you have 129K miles on the car. There's really no way to know for sure unless they scope the cylinder/head and see the remnants of the pin (doubtful) or the damage inflicted. The DISA valve costs a little over $200 and, from what I've read, is a simply DIY project that can be done in about 20 minutes. Perhaps you should just replace it first and see how the car drives before deciding on a major engine overhaul. After all, it's going to have to be replaced regardless. A bad DISA valve will result in a loss of low end torque which is one of the symptoms you described. I'm not sure it would cause a misfire though.

Your chances of winning in court aren't good in my opinion, even if the engine was damaged by the pin. You'd have to prove the pin destroyed the engine and that it was lost due to their negligence. By your own admission, you were having an issue with cylinder #6 prior to them even checking the DISA valve. So if the underlying cause was the pin, the damage to cylinder #6 happened before you brought it to them.
      01-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Someone was selling a complete n54 engine and trans for $3k in here just a few days ago. Had 97k miles but was well maintained and recently walnut blasted etc.

He has a 328i, not a 335i...
      01-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical05 View Post
Sounds unfortunate.

It sounds like the damage was already done before you even took it into the shop, i.e. it was already misfiring. I can't see the disa valve causing a misfire on its own, only a loss in power. I can't see why the shop wouldn't oblige by replacing the part you requested, its extra cash in their pocket even thou it wouldn't fix the low compression.

Do you know if it is the cylinder that's scored or maybe a damaged valve?
They were able to retrieve the pin so I'm assuming it didn't make it to the cylinder ? They did tell me large DISA valve was damaged. They recommended replacing disa valve and have the head removed to replace bent valve . Could the lower psi in cylinder 6 at 139 psi be due to the damaged valve and not cylinder damage ? I understand my writing skills are not the best lol basically I feel screwed over from this company and had horrible treatment through them, while they were racking up unnecessary bills for me .
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post

Elk Grove BMW are solid.

Is this German Motors in Roseville/Rocklin? What's the actual name of the shop? Hard to tell since you used virtually no punctuation.

Sorry to hear this. I can understand how upsetting this is. Hang in there.

Also...have the car looked at by Lubo's Bavarian in Sacramento. By far the beat Indy BMW shop I've been to and lowest pricing hands down. If you're going to replace the motor you would get the best deal from Lugo.

German motors is located in lodi where I live. I do commute to sacramento frequently. I have AAA plus towing so 100 miles towing ! Ill contact lugo thanks !!!Bought a 328i after a year of looking and found it to be the base but most reliable model and that's why I bought it and now I get engine damage .
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

a damaged valve will definitely leak cylinder pressure, so it could just be the valve and not cylinder damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
He has a 328i, not a 335i...
Woops!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I'd go to Lubo. He's solid.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #17
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
a damaged valve will definitely leak cylinder pressure, so it could just be the valve and not cylinder damage.
That's great news to hear I'm just a college student working full time. I have over 1,000 for repairs hopefully I won't need to spend $ 2,000+
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you have a bent valve, you're still looking at a lot of money to fix it. But since the pin has been recovered and the compression isn't horrible, chances are you can still drive the car once the DISA valve has been replaced until you've saved enough money for a proper repair. In fact, you may find the car runs fine except for an occasional misfire. If you're not comfortable with replacing the valve yourself, find a friend who is good at automotive DIY work or post a request for assistance in your regional forum. It's a pretty straight-forward fix and could save you several hundred dollars.
      01-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

Dafuq did I just read...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
BTW...should've called the police. Waving a crow-bar at someone is Assault while being aggressive in nature. Battery if he would've used it. Maybe that would've taught him a lesson. GL OP!

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #21
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
If you have a bent valve, you're still looking at a lot of money to fix it. But since the pin has been recovered and the compression isn't horrible, chances are you can still drive the car once the DISA valve has been replaced until you've saved enough money for a proper repair. In fact, you may find the car runs fine except for an occasional misfire. If you're not comfortable with replacing the valve yourself, find a friend who is good at automotive DIY work or post a request for assistance in your regional forum. It's a pretty straight-forward fix and could save you several hundred dollars.
I have minimal skills for the bent valve diy. I'll Go look for a detailed valve replacement diy thanks . The car still misfires as of now probably due to the disa being completely removed, not sure how to get it running without misfire
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #22
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
BTW...should've called the police. Waving a crow-bar at someone is Assault while being aggressive in nature. Battery if he would've used it. Maybe that would've taught him a lesson. GL OP!
They were really nice people , until they had to take responsibility for damage!
Appreciate 0