E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Anybody got a walnut blasting tool or offer mobile walnut blasting around Philly?

01-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Anybody got a walnut blasting tool or offer mobile walnut blasting around Philly?

I'm replacing my engine so I'll have the new (used) motor out on a motor stand. Basically just looking for someone with the necessary tools in the area to help me out whether that be renting the tools to me at a cost or coming over and just doing it real quick. Will pay but within reason, I would buy the tools but I hate buying something that is just gonna sit and take up space, if it even gets used again.

Motor and car is located in Glen Mills, PA 19342
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
limpiabota809
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

I’m in on this if someone wants to give a deal
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
induscyka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

+2
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
VXEric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335xi 6MT

+3
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

If all you guys are around Philly and interested in the kit would you be interested in renting or buying the stuff afterwards? I'm happy to take a small financial hit, I just hate buying something I'll only get one use out of.

Looks to be ~$180-200 worth of stuff that needs purchasing. That includes, official BMW N54 walnut blasting tool (metal not the 3D printed plastic one), 20 pound Harbor Freight abrasive blaster, Bav Auto Walnut blasting wand adapter (the long nozzle you put through the blasting tool that shoots the walnut shells), and 25 pounds of walnut shells.

The walnut shells don't seem to be reusable so I probably won't include that in the price unless I buy a ton of 18/40 grit shells to go with it. Air compressor and Shop Vac are also not being included in the price as those are common tools that we should all have.

Figure ~$175 worth of tools after shipping and stuff minus the walnut shells. I'd probably ask for $175 refundable deposit just to make sure I get the items back for the next person in line.

And then maybe $50 on top? Idk, I'm not out to make money on this but if someone was offering the tool rental for $50 around here I'd be all over it. Figure another $25 for shells and ~$20 for the intake manifold gaskets + throttle body gasket and it could be DIY'd for under $100.

Or you can just buy it all off me for like $125 when I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
limpiabota809
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
If all you guys are around Philly and interested in the kit would you be interested in renting or buying the stuff afterwards? I'm happy to take a small financial hit, I just hate buying something I'll only get one use out of.

Looks to be ~$180-200 worth of stuff that needs purchasing. That includes, official BMW N54 walnut blasting tool (metal not the 3D printed plastic one), 20 pound Harbor Freight abrasive blaster, Bav Auto Walnut blasting wand adapter (the long nozzle you put through the blasting tool that shoots the walnut shells), and 25 pounds of walnut shells.

The walnut shells don't seem to be reusable so I probably won't include that in the price unless I buy a ton of 18/40 grit shells to go with it. Air compressor and Shop Vac are also not being included in the price as those are common tools that we should all have.

Figure ~$175 worth of tools after shipping and stuff minus the walnut shells. I'd probably ask for $175 refundable deposit just to make sure I get the items back for the next person in line.

And then maybe $50 on top? Idk, I'm not out to make money on this but if someone was offering the tool rental for $50 around here I'd be all over it. Figure another $25 for shells and ~$20 for the intake manifold gaskets + throttle body gasket and it could be DIY'd for under $100.

Out of fear of messing something up, I’d rather pay someone to do it. I am in Philly.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
Out of fear of messing something up, I’d rather pay someone to do it. I am in Philly.
Look up Helix, I believe he is in Manayunk. It's actually a shop not a DIYer. I heard he does walnut blasting in our area if you're looking to have someone do it. Don't think I wanna bother offering the service myself
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
limpiabota809
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Look up Helix, I believe he is in Manayunk. It's actually a shop not a DIYer. I heard he does walnut blasting in our area if you're looking to have someone do it. Don't think I wanna bother offering the service myself
I pass by a lot just don’t have time to talk to them but I’ll have to do that at some point, might as well get the LEGO piece from them while there for rear fogs.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
BioChemBro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 & Z4

I have everything to do it, but i live in Lancaster
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Quote:

I'd buy the tools off of you if ended up wanting to do this. Located near KOP.
No garage so waiting for it to warm up a bit then doing walnut blast, valve cover, ofhg, injectors all in one go.
Appreciate 0