E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My wastegate rattle

05-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

My wastegate rattle

So I have brand new turbos that have less then 1k miles on them. When I had the stock down pipes on no jb4 I had zero rattle. I put downpipes on with jb4, now every time I do light throttle from 2k to 3k I get this horrible rattle noise . If I rev not in gear, no rattle. No matter what setting I put menu 10 and 12. It doesn't help. If I put menu 10 to saying 20 on tach, I instantly get horrible rattle. Any ideas?
      05-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Seems to be a relatively widespread issue on the newest firm of JB4. Which hardware if your JB? Is it the G5 ISO?

I have similar issue, but only a faint rattle at partial throttle acceleration that can only be heard in a quite parking garage. I felt the WG actuator rod the other day, it seems to have very minimal play... Oh well, just waiting to get my new exhaust mounted so it can drown out the noise.

But if your rattle is really bad, you can try adjusting them through this guide: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176269 However, I still think the proper to adjust the actuator rod is with the downpipe off and have a vacuum pulling the WG closed so you can see how much adjustment you actually need. For me, it is just not worth the trouble.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

hhm so maybe the jb4 is the culprit.. but how? I kinda want to try a cobb tune to see if it would get rid of the rattle but not sure the price is worth it for this experiment
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbo_bmw
hhm so maybe the jb4 is the culprit.. but how? I kinda want to try a cobb tune to see if it would get rid of the rattle but not sure the price is worth it for this experiment
Idk but I have brand new turbos that didn't make a peep until I put the jb4 and downpipes back on. Could the rod need to be adjusted for the extra flow?
      05-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue
Seems to be a relatively widespread issue on the newest firm of JB4. Which hardware if your JB? Is it the G5 ISO?

I have similar issue, but only a faint rattle at partial throttle acceleration that can only be heard in a quite parking garage. I felt the WG actuator rod the other day, it seems to have very minimal play... Oh well, just waiting to get my new exhaust mounted so it can drown out the noise.

But if your rattle is really bad, you can try adjusting them through this guide: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176269 However, I still think the proper to adjust the actuator rod is with the downpipe off and have a vacuum pulling the WG closed so you can see how much adjustment you actually need. For me, it is just not worth the trouble.
Yes newest firmware. Also have the newest firmware from BMW too. Never had a problem until jb4 and down pipes. Specially on brand new turbos... And with out jb4 my turbos were rattle free 100%