E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Retrofit DAB+

01-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Retrofit DAB+

Hi,

can someone tell me what is needed for a DAB+ retrofit (E92)? I know that I have to replace the head unit with a DAB-tuner-integrated one and code it.
What else do I need? I read through several threads here today, and couldn't pick up all necessary information for me.
- Do I need to replace the rear window?
- Do I need a DAB antenna? Which one? A new one, or can I use the standard radio antenna for DAB too?
- Cables?
- Diversity? Do I need a new one? Or can I connect an antenna directly to the DAB ports on the CIC HU?

I don't want the aftermarket kits like Kufatec. Want to have this completely oem-integrated in the CIC.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG21 View Post
Hi,

can someone tell me what is needed for a DAB+ retrofit (E92)? I know that I have to replace the head unit with a DAB-tuner-integrated one and code it.
What else do I need? I read through several threads here today, and couldn't pick up all necessary information for me.
- Do I need to replace the rear window?
- Do I need a DAB antenna? Which one? A new one, or can I use the standard radio antenna for DAB too?
- Cables?
- Diversity? Do I need a new one? Or can I connect an antenna directly to the DAB ports on the CIC HU?

I don't want the aftermarket kits like Kufatec. Want to have this completely oem-integrated in the CIC.

Thank you.
you will need;
DAB CIC (very rare but do come up, i have one and cost me around £500)
DAB diversity antenna (again very rare but do come up)
5m (i think 3 was too short) fakra cable that goes from diversity antenna to CIC
simple bit of coding and away you go.

you will need to 'activate' the CIC for sat nav but this can be done with scripts these days, when i did mine i used an emulator.

a
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you Josh! Activating the CIC is no problem, have done this on my current CIC for the other functions.
I still don't unterstand the function of this Diversity Antenna. Is this an antenna or a ECU in that all antennas are pluggin in?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Thank you Josh! Activating the CIC is no problem, have done this on my current CIC for the other functions.
I still don't unterstand the function of this Diversity Antenna. Is this an antenna or a ECU in that all antennas are pluggin in?
you can glue aftermarket antenna on glass or you can replace genuine rear glass antenna amplifier and he will use part of the antenna in rear glass for dab iii-band reception
for dab l-band reception you have to replace shark fin antenna and route wire to it
also there is such lifehack as to use cabrio iii-band antenna which is located in rear bumper
you can install such iii-band antenna in any bmw
      01-18-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you can replace genuine rear glass antenna amplifier and he will use part of the antenna in rear glass for dab iii-band reception
So does that mean: I already have an antenna in the rear glass (for FM radio?), that can be used for dab iii-band together? Right? Will the signal be good enough?
If so, I just need to replace the diversity, so I have an additional output-connector from diversity->to CIC for dab?

Quote:
for dab l-band reception you have to replace shark fin antenna and route wire to it
Do I need the l-band? I read that it isn't used anymore. I don't even have the shark fin. Can it be placed somewhere else in the car?

Quote:
also there is such lifehack as to use cabrio iii-band antenna which is located in rear bumper
you can install such iii-band antenna in any bmw
Is this cabrio antenna for iii-band or l-band? Or both? Can I install this somewhere else? And do I need to replace the diversity for this option?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #6
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So does that mean: I already have an antenna in the rear glass (for FM radio?), that can be used for dab iii-band together? Right? Will the signal be good enough?
If so, I just need to replace the diversity, so I have an additional output-connector from diversity->to CIC for dab?

Do I need the l-band? I read that it isn't used anymore. I don't even have the shark fin. Can it be placed somewhere else in the car?

Is this cabrio antenna for iii-band or l-band? Or both? Can I install this somewhere else? And do I need to replace the diversity for this option?
here is a chap that has done it, just like i have done, I followed his guide when doing mine.

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49259

it’s a shame the pictures are no longer there.

the diversity antenna gives you a DAB output from your sharkfin, you then run a cable from the diversity antenna to the CIC and code.

The diversity antenna is located at the back of the car behind the rear window brake light cover.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #7
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_G View Post
the diversity antenna gives you a DAB output from your sharkfin, you then run a cable from the diversity antenna to the CIC and code.
But I don't have the sharkfin.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
But I don't have the sharkfin.
what?!?! dont all E92s have a sharkfin?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

No. My car had no CIC, just radio. I retrofitted everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No. My car had no CIC, just radio. I retrofitted everything.
so where is the signal for the radio coming from currently?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't know. I thought, the rear window has an integrated antenna? I think the sharkfin is for GPS and cellular.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #12
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

1. yes
2. yes, it is almost not used now but it may be used again
3. cabrio antenna in bumper is for iii-band
you have either install diversity amp with dab iii-band or in antenna with amp with in bumper or aftermarket on the any glass inside
      01-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #13
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you and sorry for asking again, but I still don't understand everything and I want to go sure before buying things:

You said:
version 1:
- I can use the FM antenna for dab iii-band with changing the antenna diversity so I get an additional fakra output connector for connecting diversity ->to CIC.
or version 2:
- I can use the cabrio antenna without having to change the antenna diversity, so connecting directly the cabrio antenna to CIC with a fakra cable?

But, if I understood right.. both solutions are for dab iii-band. What about the l-band, when there is no sharkin?

I attached a picture of my diversity. Is it really just plug&play? Or do I have to change something on the wiring from diversity to FM antenna?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #14
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

i have another topic http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360537 where you can see how l-band antenna from cabrio looking
you can put it in left or right mirror housing, or under non-metal covered space on the car
      01-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #15
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay, so the original parts from cabrio are
- 65209123784 for l-band
and
- 65209123995 for iii-band.

So I could use both and connect them directly to the CIC headunit.
Or I could buy a new diversity with dab output and use the FM antenna for iii-band, then I would need the l-band antenna 65209123784 separately. Can I connect it directly to the CIC headunit? Or is this connected to the diversity, too?

I just read a little bit about the kufatec DAB retrofit kit. In the set there is only one antenna. I don't know if for iii-band or l-band? Or does this antenna covers both bands?
Is there a way using this antenna with CIC headunit, without the kufatec ECU? Maybe I could use it and connect it directly to CIC.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:25 AM   #16
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

i believe that kufatec antenna is iii-band, since it is active you can also use it with cic i think
the reception level will be worse i think
you can buy new diversity amp with dab and then connect it using additional wire to cic equipped input for iii-band signal

Last edited by ptpending; 01-25-2018 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #17
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay and just to be sure: I don't have to change the wiring from diversity to FM antenna in window or something like that? Really just change diversity, plug the existing cable coming from the window in the new diversity, and going with a new seperate cable to the CIC dab-iii input?

Quote:
I attached a picture of my diversity. Is it really just plug&play? Or do I have to change something on the wiring from diversity to FM antenna?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #18
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Okay and just to be sure: I don't have to change the wiring from diversity to FM antenna in window or something like that? Really just change diversity, plug the existing cable coming from the window in the new diversity, and going with a new seperate cable to the CIC dab-iii input?
yep
      01-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #19
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay thank you! :-)
I'm looking for an used diversity now. I tried to find the fakra cable for dab at bmw, but i couldn't find anything. Do you have a part number maybe?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
NRG21
Enlisted Member
Rep

A question again: Do I need a dab amplifier, too?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #21
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
A question again: Do I need a dab amplifier, too?
diverisity amplifier contain amplifiers for all antennas connected to it if amplification is required
      01-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #22
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I've did this a couple of time on E90 and F series. Let me know if something is unclear.
Appreciate 0