E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Should I wash the car after accident?

06-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Should I wash the car after accident?

I had my first accident today with the bimmer, after nearly nearly 3 months old. While stopping at the an intersection stop sign, a little Daihatsu tried to make a turn into the street I am coming out from. But the Daihatsu was way too fast and understeer. It end up into my driver side front and rear doors. There are some dents and scratches.

I need suggestion if:
- I can take my car to cash wash in the meantime? as I cant stand to see my car ugly (after the accident) and dirty. The car wont be repaired until probably 2 to 3 weeks. Will it causes rust?

- Do you guys recommend taking it to BMW approved repairers or generic repairers? My insurance only cover me for generic repairers which is a bump.

Ta.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

oh mate im real sorry to hear that. I really don't suggest you wash your car. Id be worried about getting water in areas of the car where it shouldn't be, who knows what damage it could lead to. If you can post a pick of the car so we can see more clearly what areas are open to water entry.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
No you shouldnt wash it.
exposed alloy + water = rust.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
it's probably wet by now...
      06-08-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

i felt so bad when i backed my car into another, i ended up washing and polishing the car the next day for a few hours, as my way of saying sorry...lol

but my damage is only the plastic bumper, no metal damage
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Thanks for everyone suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
it's probably wet by now...
No not yet.

It was pouring in Brisbane in two days ago. That 's why she was so dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
No you shouldnt wash it.
exposed alloy + water = rust.
I am not disagreeing. The only exposed metal part is only a small area near the rear wheel.

The rest was not too bad. Do you think I will get a new door or they will just knock the dent back?

This also show how strong the BMW doors actually is. The car that hit me got it bumper bar fell off.
Attached Images

320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

ouch mate, that breaks my heart

i dont think it will hurt to have a good rinse, they will sand that whole exposed area down regardless and repaint.

doesnt look like much metal exposure.

just get it to a repairer asap
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #8
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Exposed alloy will oxidise with contact with normal air, exposure to water will speed up the oxidisation process and start it rusting sooner. Don't forget, rush is the car equivalent of cancer once it's in there it's not easy to get out.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

i thought the accident was worse then what is shown in the pics, id listen MPOWER on this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #10
KrisC
kristoff
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Sorry to hear about your accident. I would have thought that you are claiming from his insurance as it's his fault! I would take it to a BMW repairer and I think that they will recommend REPLACING the doors! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

just leave it alone, u can clean it all u want when its fixed, its just a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #12
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Sorry to hear (and see) your misfortune. On the positive side, it don't look too bad and the fix should not take too long. Whether you wash it or not is not going to make any difference as it will get sanded back and all. It's going to get wet when it rains (as predicted for the coming week).

I think the front door will get a new skin but you would be surprised to see how straight a panel beater could get that with a bit of work and then it would only need minimal filler. Why dont you take it to Brisbane BMW body shop at Windsor and see what they say and even if your insurance wont let them repair it, at least you might be able to pursuade them to do the repair in the same way.

Good luch and I hope the repair is done to your satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #13
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed-320d View Post
Thanks for everyone suggestion.

No not yet.

It was pouring in Brisbane in two days ago. That 's why she was so dirty.

I am not disagreeing. The only exposed metal part is only a small area near the rear wheel.

The rest was not too bad. Do you think I will get a new door or they will just knock the dent back?

This also show how strong the BMW doors actually is. The car that hit me got it bumper bar fell off.
that was nearly like what mine looked like, so i don't think you could knock that dent out? but i might be wrong...

as long as there is no chasis damage or damage ot anything major, it's ok... i'd only be worrying if there was internal damage...
      06-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #14
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Booked in the bodyshop.

They are going to re-skin the two doors and repaint all the panels on the side of the car.

I know that after the repair it will look nice like nothing had ever happenned, but deep inside I know it was no longer original and it was not my fault.

They quoted the insurance well over $6000. I reckon it was a bit too much but it was not my problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #15
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
i think of it this way, the car wasn't "born" with doors, they had to be put on by bmw in the factory... those doors came directly from bmw too... if you need a new door on your car now, that too comes from bmw, not aldi... as long as my car never suffers any chasis damage, i can deal with it

you could think of it this way too, when your young you have pimples, but they clear up... you can break bones, but they lead to arthritis later on... the broken bones are like chasis damage
      06-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #16
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
i think of it this way, the car wasn't "born" with doors, they had to be put on by bmw in the factory... those doors came directly from bmw too... if you need a new door on your car now, that too comes from bmw, not aldi... as long as my car never suffers any chasis damage, i can deal with it

you could think of it this way too, when your young you have pimples, but they clear up... you can break bones, but they lead to arthritis later on... the broken bones are like chasis damage
Thank you Astra. That is comforting.
Appreciate 0