E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Best $220 I ever spent on a Bimmer accessory

06-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Agree with all of that (apart from the hiring a porka bit) my 335's an auto with paddle shifts because my other cars are manuals, it gets tiresome sitting in traffic all the time shifting gears etc especially in the GTR which has a tripple plate clutch in it.

Manuals are MUCH more fun to drive and give heaps more enjoyment and connection to the car IMO, and the auto's good because it gives my girlfriend a car to drive when she wants as she can't drive a manual. For sitting in traffic it's just easier and requires a lot less thought and effort. The E92 is a great car for getting from A to B in comfort in and taking you out of the noise going on around you, especially in Sydney's traffic.

But if I could only tick one gearbox option it'd be manual
+ 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
oh here we go again with this enthusiasts thing... i am not even going to comment on that statement... i am just going ot get myself into an argument... it's just liek those people who say you aern't an enthusiast unless you have an e30, pfft, what car you drive has nohing to do with your passion
I don't see how you can argue, 1q2w3e4r said it all. Driving stick just lets you enjoy that passion more each day.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #24
e93
open air motoring at its best
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
+ 1

I don't see how you can argue, 1q2w3e4r said it all. Driving stick just lets you enjoy that passion more each day.
Quote:
So tell me then why you guys all got the paddle shifters then? Maybe so you can reminiss about all the fun to be had driving in an MT car!
Not saying AT is crap or anything, just less fun, however we all know it to be more practical, just not on the radar for the true enthusiasts!
Guess that depends on if your passion comprises clutch in - clutch out - clutch in etc etc in traffic. Ok - auto is a compromise, but to infer I'm not a "true enthusiast" because I chose paddles is just a load of crap!!
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||

Last edited by e93; 06-19-2007 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #25
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
+ 1

and i also don't see how you can determine how i think, especially having never met me , but not that i was arguing anyway... i did say that i thought the comment was a little silly, but i didn't get into any arguments, cos i knew someone would fire up another argument about manual vs auto...

we all have our opinions, and those of us who bought auto, did so for a rason, those of us who bought manual did so for a reason...

i have a manual car as well, but i don't like driving it, hence why my everyday car is an auto
      06-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #26
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT M/Blue, Jade Grey

Who'd have thought my little complaint about the length of the E92 gearshift would lead to an auto vs manual "debate"? My 2c worth:

- I like manuals because for me, they add to my sense of control over the car and hence my driving enjoyment. Many - let's face it MOST- people these days don't agree. In 2007, autos are the norm in just about any car class - at least outside of Europe.
- You don't have to drive a manual BMW to be a BMW enthusiast. There are plenty of other aspects of a BMW that can and do contribute to driving and ownership pleasure. The "purists" ( flat earthers?) amongst us shouldn't deny people their enjoyment of these other aspects. It's taken me a long time to fully understand this little point: people who buy the same stuff as me don't always do so for the same reasons.

Bottom line: let's all enjoy our cars and celebrate the differences that lead each of us to buy into one of the world's great marques.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #27
e93
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
i have a manual car as well, but i don't like driving it, hence why my everyday car is an auto
There is no one on this forum who could be considered more of a "true enthusiast" than Astra!!!!!!:rocks:

and I'm old enough to remember when "true enthusiasts" thought power steering and air conditioning where for "soft" drivers. My how things change
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #28
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
Squential manual is what is used in F1. It's still a true manual but the clutch action is controlled by electronics and hydrolics.
Close enough I say. My motto is “If your left hand is free to hold a can of Tooheys New then it’s an auto.

Quote:
pfft, what car you drive has nohing to do with your passion
Quote:
and i also don't see how you can determine how i think, especially having never met me ,
I have met astra and I can vouch for her BMW passion! (Sorry again for the marks on the leather)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
…it gets tiresome sitting in traffic all the time shifting gears etc.
That’s why I went auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 View Post
Guess that depends on if your passion comprises clutch in - clutch out - clutch in etc etc in traffic. Ok - auto is a compromise, but to infer I'm not a "true enthusiast" because I chose paddles is just a load of crap!!
Can someone pass the popcorn. This is getting good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Who'd have thought my little complaint about the length of the E92 gearshift would lead to an auto vs manual "debate"?
I’m with you Nick. Why the debate when we all know auto is better.

Quote:
There is no one on this forum who could be considered more of a "true enthusiast" than Astra!!!!!!:rocks:
Astra’s enthusiasm and knowledge puts most males to shame.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 05:04 AM   #29
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
I have met astra and I can vouch for her BMW passion! (Sorry again for the marks on the leather)
not to worry, my service manager said i can a free leather clean whenever it needs it... cos i pointed out that their product did not do as it was said to of
      06-20-2007, 06:37 AM   #30
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Never implied you weren't, but then again you like to selectively quote, so you probably like to selectively read. At least we are in agreement that AT is a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #31
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

and I'm old enough to remember when "true enthusiasts" thought power steering and air conditioning where for "soft" drivers. My how things change
I think i've got a straw around here somewhere, oh here it is, you wanna use it?
My point is MT provides significantly more control to the driver than AT, through being able to control the gear your in, engine brake and be in the correct gear coming out of corners and not having to sit around waiting for the AT to realise that you want to accelerate. People who drive them everyday are probably used to them, but whenever i have a courtesy car or am driving friend cars the shifting of the AT just gets to me. I qualify this by saying this is MY opinion & that i've been driving MT cars for the past 12 years (Yes i started early, we had a large property) and have never owned a AT.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #32
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cheers.
You obviously missed the post where Astra was talking about the V6 she's got in the 325ci......
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #33
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
not to worry, my service manager said i can a free leather clean whenever it needs it... cos i pointed out that their product did not do as it was said to of
Also....if you ever want some free leather conditioner, let me know.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #34
e93
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think i've got a straw around here somewhere, oh here it is, you wanna use it?
My point is MT provides significantly more control to the driver than AT, through being able to control the gear your in, engine brake and be in the correct gear coming out of corners and not having to sit around waiting for the AT to realise that you want to accelerate. People who drive them everyday are probably used to them, but whenever i have a courtesy car or am driving friend cars the shifting of the AT just gets to me. I qualify this by saying this is MY opinion & that i've been driving MT cars for the past 12 years (Yes i started early, we had a large property) and have never owned a AT.
Maybe you should try the paddles. Shift pretty fast if you ask me so you can control engine braking and be in the correct gear coming out of corners. You don't have to wait for the AT to figure it out because you are in control of the gear changes - just no clutch to depress. Of course you can select Drive when you just could'nt be bothered. Not a bad compromise IMHO.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and I certainly would not flame you for that. I'm entitled to my opinion too.

As for your straw - keep it - I'm sure you'll find somewhere to put it!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #35
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Cheers.
not when i am as as tired and stressed as i am lately atleast term is nearly over, i need to sleep! can't function right with no sleep

Quote:
Also....if you ever want some free leather conditioner, let me know.

Cheers.
Quote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and I certainly would not flame you for that. I'm entitled to my opinion too.
exactly it i am so over arguing about cars lately, so over my car... i just need uni to finish and i can have a relax!

Quote:
As for your straw - keep it - I'm sure you'll find somewhere to put it!

no need for it as my service manager said he would have it done for mme but thanks anyway