E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Anyone catch the BMW Art Cars in Sydney?

06-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT M/Blue, Jade Grey

Anyone catch the BMW Art Cars in Sydney?

Gone now unfortunately but well worth the visit. It was the first time I've ever had a close look at an M1. Low, mean and really wild in the Andy Warhol paint. Ken Done's E30 M3 was easily the most colourful, and unlike most of the bilge he sells actually looked damn impressive. For me the winner was the 3.0CSL, painted in what looked like fine graph paper, decked out with a serious looking aero racing kit, and apparently sporting 750 bhp! Amazingly, many of these Art cars have actually been raced in serious competition.

Here's some publicity pics if you are interested: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=40724&vf=16

We made a nice day of it heading over to the Italian Motor Expo at Darling Harbour afterwards. My kids loved the Diablo ( which the owner was kind enough to start and rev up inside the building. Yes Diablo Carbon Monoxide does smell like the devil's breath ); wife was kinda keen on the latest Maser Quattroporte. For me the vibrant mettalic orange Gallardo, and its big brother Murcielago took the cake, though a couple of 1970's Countachs were damn close. Amazingly those cars still look like they are 20 years into the future, instead of 30 years old...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
i wish i had of gone to that sounds like it would of been right up my alley! i love my italian cars

had a good look at a raced diablo at the A1 gp and at the AMG showroom a little while back, they sounds INSANE, but better still are the ferrari f430s with their race kits on

and nick, sounds like your wife has great taste i love the quattroporte too
      06-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
and nick, sounds like your wife has great taste i love the quattroporte too
Quattroporte is one of the only truly "elegant" cars out there IMHO.
Unfortunately the closest my wife will get to something expensively Italian is the custom fitted "Ferrari red" leather seats we put on her recently acquired gunmetal grey Liberty Spec B GT wagon!! LOL Now we have 2 cars my son won't be legally allowed to drive when he turns 17 poor bu%%er!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Funnily .... went to see the Oceans 13 movie last night and they had a sceen where some highrollers were getting into a Quattropote and there was an E92 coupe in the background that while beautiful in its own right, just faded in the background.

I know we all love our BMW's but let me assure you, the Italians build passion into their cars.

Oh .... I saw one of the art cars many many years ago .... very nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
Funnily .... went to see the Oceans 13 movie last night and they had a sceen where some highrollers were getting into a Quattropote and there was an E92 coupe in the background that while beautiful in its own right, just faded in the background.

I know we all love our BMW's but let me assure you, the Italians build passion into their cars.

Oh .... I saw one of the art cars many many years ago .... very nice.

Yes the World would definitely be a duller place without Maser Bora, Countach, just about any Ferrari you can name, the very pretty Lancia Fulvia Coupe ( a personal favourite), any Alfa up to the mid 1970's ( and quite a few beyond that), even the Fiat 124 coupe, Fiat Dino and bambino. Ironic though that some of Lambo's best stuff has been done under the helm of Audi....
Appreciate 0